Thread: Ethics question

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Ethics question

In an odd situation and I'm not sure what to do. 1 year money league:

6 teams make the playoffs, first two get byes. The playoff teams are already decided, just positioning now.

The way the matchups are looking, there's no way for me to get the bye anymore, I had to win by 15-ish points, but that's not happening. I may still win, but it won't be by that margin.

I've crunched the numbers, if I lose I'll arguably get the best 1st round matchup (guy is pretty decimated by injury) and also have the easiest 2nd round matchup should I win round 1.

If I win, I get a tough first round matchup, and an even tougher 2nd round matchup.

So it looks like a loss is my path of least resistance right now. If I lose I'll be costing someone else a bye, as the guy I'm in a matchup with has the tiebreaker on the other guy.

Our matchup is close, and we both have 2 guys going tomorrow. I have Moncrief/Vinateri and he has Forte/NYJ DEF. The projected points are almost the same. I could bench them and take the loss. Or if I was being more subtle about it, I could drop one of my bench guys that I never intend to use for Dorsett and start him instead.

It may play out where I lose and there's no difference anyways. But I could definitely increase my odds of losing, but it feels dirty.

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Ethics question

We had a very similar situation in our league this week and it resulted in about a 300 msg conversation in our group chat. Only difference was team A (who has clinched) was considering letting team B win because team B is fighting for a playoff spot and is weaker than the other teams fighting. While I was of the mind that every guy can do whatever they want with their lineup (we have a rule that you have to start a full lineup), It definitely felt very very slimey and I didn't like the idea at all.

Your situation......since playoff teams are locked I honestly don't see much of a problem with doing that. I would want the easier matchup for sure.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Haha thanks, that makes me feel a bit better.

All the playoff teams were clinched last week. It's only the bye that is on the line, and the guy that I can essentially "steal" the bye on is probably the hottest team in the league right now. I can make him have a tough playoff matchup and give myself an easier one. Not to mention, I'd ensure the only way we played again was in the finals.

I likely won't "sit" Moncreif, but I can pick up Dorsett or Allen instead. If Vinateri/Allen can outscore Forte/NYJ then it was destiny.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by FinnishFlash View Post
    Haha thanks, that makes me feel a bit better.

All the playoff teams were clinched last week. It's only the bye that is on the line, and the guy that I can essentially "steal" the bye on is probably the hottest team in the league right now. I can make him have a tough playoff matchup and give myself an easier one. Not to mention, I'd ensure the only way we played again was in the finals.

I likely won't "sit" Moncreif, but I can pick up Dorsett or Allen instead. If Vinateri/Allen can outscore Forte/NYJ then it was destiny.
    I may be in the minority but I don't mind that at all.

Dobber Sports Titan

I had a situation last yr where I could either throw the final regular season week and not get into the playoffs and end up getting 1st overall pick (later determined I didn’t deserve it because I had it 2 yrs in a row already, so they literally stole Elliot from my team! ARGH) or win, get a ton of points, and hope for help to sneak in the playoffs to face a team that’s like 12-1. I started all guys that weren’t safe choices. Lost, got killed actually. Worked out well, besides the losing Elliot.

As long as you started people I see no issue. It’s if you benched your team where I wouldn’t have liked it.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks fellas. Starting Allen, watch now he will have a career game lol

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Do what you think is best for your team, but karma often takes over in this case.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Allen with the TD. I deserve this for trying to be a grease ball lol

Make that 2

Dobber Sports Veteran

So is Allen a must start now next week? Lol

Dobber Sports Titan

Still nope lol.

But damn Karma lol.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll