Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Traded Holtby

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Traded Holtby

I wanted to get peoples thoughts on my return for Holtby. Team is in the sig I'm currently in 2nd place. A players cap is based off their inaugural draft position.

I gave Holtby(10M),B.Ryan(3.75M),J.Shultz(1M),Nasty(P),4t h

I got Ghost(6.3M),M.Granlund(2.75M),L.Domingue(2.75M),D. Strome(P),1st (3mil cap savings)

With the scoring cats in this format, scoring D is gold. I broke it down Pros- huge upgrade on D, prospect, and pick. Decent upgrade on wing, get backup goalie, save 3 mil as I was tight to the cap and needed the room to eventually sign Pickard and Ritchie to ELC's. Cons- I lose an elite goalie and a mid tier W.
    5.5X Champs
    20 Team Dynasty (Unique Cap) H2H 23 Man roster - 20 Minor
    G,A,SOG,PIM,HIT,BLK,FO%,2G+A,D-pts,STG,GWG+SHP+ShootoutG
    W,SV%,GAA,SO Start 4 C,LW,RW/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 3Bench/6IR

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    RW-A.Svechnikov,M.Tkachuk,Duclair,Mantha
    D-Provorov,McAvoy,Gudas,Doughty,Dunn,McDonagh
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Rossi,Berggren,Sillinger,Giv.Smith,Perreault,Kaspe r,Gauthier,Miroshnichenko,R.Johnson
    Perunovich,Salo,Capobianco,Mackey,Woo,Benning,A.Jo hansson,Thrun
    Skinner,Martin,Ingram,Fedotov
    ​Entry Draft 5 Rds [<60gp] '23 2,3,3,5
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Traded Holtby

Not sure who Nasty is, but you gave up the second best goalie in the league, in a 20 team league where you start 2 G a night. I think you could have gotten a lot more for him, regardless of salary.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Not sure who Nasty is
    Lol +1 here

I don't like that you gave up Holtby either. I much prefer Holtby over Ghost + $3mil which is basically the trade when you take away the other elements. Yes, Strome is a good prospect to own but not worth trading away a top-3 tender for years to come IMO
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Jedi

I would have wanted an Eichel or something in return for Holby, or Werenski and more than Granlund & Domingue. You've really lowered your chances of winning this year by removing Holtby beast and not getting anything offensively significant to replace him. he should have returned a much better D than Ghost.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Ya I agree....that is a steal for the other owner....other than Ghost the other pieces are not great and in a league of that size the 2nd best goalie should net a huge return....not a dman and depth players.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Nasty is Z.Nastasiuk, a throw away prospect.

Trading an elite goalie like Holtby is a huge risk but 11 skater cats vs 4 tending stats also weighed into my decision. Goalie stats are voodoo and granted Holtby is an exception to that, parity rules this league and I'd rather have a leg up on the skater cats. 3rd place in the league has Saros and Raanta as his only two goalies. 1st place's goalies are Dubnyk and Halak. I'm now sitting with Bob and Pickard/Domingue which isn't terrible (unless another Bob injury). That's my rationale at least. I went from having the best tandem in the league to middle of the pack at worst. Risky for sure in the long run but hedging the risk with Strome and a 1st.

Shultz,nasty,4th are basically nada so it was Holtby+ryan for Ghost,Granlund,D.Strome,1st, and cap room in my mind.

Thank you guys as always for your thoughts on it.
    5.5X Champs

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Rossi,Berggren,Sillinger,Giv.Smith,Perreault,Kaspe r,Gauthier,Miroshnichenko,R.Johnson
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Bstbullies View Post
    Nasty is Z.Nastasiuk, a throw away prospect.

Trading an elite goalie like Holtby is a huge risk but 11 skater cats vs 4 tending stats also weighed into my decision. Goalie stats are voodoo and granted Holtby is an exception to that, parity rules this league and I'd rather have a leg up on the skater cats. 3rd place in the league has Saros and Raanta as his only two goalies. 1st place's goalies are Dubnyk and Halak. I'm now sitting with Bob and Pickard/Domingue which isn't terrible (unless another Bob injury). That's my rationale at least. I went from having the best tandem in the league to middle of the pack at worst. Risky for sure in the long run but hedging the risk with Strome and a 1st.

Shultz,nasty,4th are basically nada so it was Holtby+ryan for Ghost,Granlund,D.Strome,1st, and cap room in my mind.

Thank you guys as always for your thoughts on it.
    Understandable on the logic, I guess there's different strategies for everyone.

Thanks for clearing un "Nasty". My first thought was Bissonette, but I didn't think anyone but me would be crazy enough to own him in a league!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Guys like Eichel would have skewed the cap number significantly. Eichel's cap is (8.1M). The salary cap in this format changes a lot of valuation and possibilities. Dman with 40+ point floors are gold in this league as they have their own cat and any 40pt player regardless of position holds a lot of value in this league. I wouldn't call Granlund a depth player in this format, he also has 60+ potential. You have to take in consideration that the top 20 D all have cap #s above 7M.
    5.5X Champs

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

That salary cap system seems to be quite horrible.

Anyway, I like Holtby better than Ghost + D. Strome in your format.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I understand the logic of wanting to improve your skaters but you just didn't get enough in return. And also relying on Bob to be your only starting goalie is very risky. You could lose the entire season with one injury to a player who has had many.

Granlund is also not an upgrade over Ryan. You saved $1M there but other than that I'd consider them pretty much equal.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The cap system is actually great. The league GMs set the market for salary. I wouldn't have it any other way.

It's definitely risky to lean on band aid boy BoB but only needing 3gp a week, even plug and play goalies can win the cats for the week.

As for Granlund he's just hitting his prime. I know many are down on him but there's a lot to like there. Ryan hasn't been the same since he left Ana. IMO a 24yr old Gran is an upgrade over 29yr old Ryan. Ones entering their prime and the other is leaving it. Granlund out points Ryan this year for sure.

I like to hear everybodies points. Thanks for the input guys.

Dobber Sports Pro

In my league ($400 auction budget dynasty) I tried offering Bishop ($16), Giroux ($39) and Radulov ($27) to get Holtby ($6). The owner flat out rejected me and didn't even counter.

Nobody is ever untouchable.... but Holtby is one of the guys who should be close, I think.

Dobber Sports Jedi

The cap system is actually great. The league GMs set the market for salary. I wouldn't have it any other way.

It's definitely risky to lean on band aid boy BoB but only needing 3gp a week, even plug and play goalies can win the cats for the week.

As for Granlund he's just hitting his prime. I know many are down on him but there's a lot to like there. Ryan hasn't been the same since he left Ana. IMO a 24yr old Gran is an upgrade over 29yr old Ryan. Ones entering their prime and the other is leaving it. Granlund out points Ryan this year for sure.

I like to hear everybodies points. Thanks for the input guys.
    I think you left some return on the table... but you seem content, if not happy with your return for him, you know your league and settings best. If you're happy with the return, then that's half the battle. If it improves your team in the time frame you need/want it to - then that's the other half.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm happy with return but also know it's playing with fire. It will either give me the extra edge I need or torpedoe me short terms. Judging from the responses I left a lot on the table. I still feel decent about the return and the direction it took me. If Strome looks like Eichels rookie yr next year I won't question the move.

"Be bold, if you're going to make an error, make a doozy, and don't be afraid to hit the ball"

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm happy with return but also know it's playing with fire. It will either give me the extra edge I need or torpedoe me short terms. Judging from the responses I left a lot on the table. I still feel decent about the return and the direction it took me. If Strome looks like Eichels rookie yr next year I won't question the move.

"Be bold, if you're going to make an error, make a doozy, and don't be afraid to hit the ball"
    Lucafen is right, as long as you are happy that is the important thing. One piece of advice: Come to the forum and post your potential trades BEFORE making them, rather than coming to ask for evaluation after the fact. That way you can get ideas and insights that could help you to craft even better trades or avoid ones you may want to have back later. I find this to be very helpful and useful when I am trying to make trades.