Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Ageing Goaltenders

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Replacing Ageing Goaltenders

Hi all,

I've had Fleury and Lundqvist as a tandem for many seasons now. With both being in the early to mid-30s and Murray taking over in PIT, I've begun a mini-rebuild in net.

I just acquired Vasilevskiy and am looking for another young netminder to build with. I just reviewed Dobber's top 40 prospect list for November and has some questions.

Who should I snag now and hold on to until they become a starter?
    1. Pickard
    2. Brossoit
    3. Subban
    4. Forsberg
    5. Juuse

My thoughts:
    1. I believe Pickard is the closest to being a starter, despite Varlamov on contract for two more years after this season.
    2. Not particularly convinced with Brossoit.
    3. Subban will not likely replace Rask any time soon.
    4. Forsberg, meh.
    5. Juuse is absolutely killing it in the AHL and performed really well when he was called up earlier this season. I think he can be the next great Finnish goaltender. Rinne is playing amazing hockey right now but he is also 33.

I plan on keeping Lundqvist for a few more seasons, plus Vasilevskiy and one of these kids. Probably going to drop Fleury. My gut says either Pickard or Juuse, but wanted to hear your opinions.

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Replacing Ageing Goaltenders

I would rank them as follows for the next 3 years:

Fleury - will probably be starting somewhere next year, likely Vegas or a team currently needing a goalie.
    Pickard - as you say, closest to a staring job.
    Saros - Looks like the best talent of the young guys you listed to me. With a franchise that helps goalies look good.
    Brossoit - I like him a touch more than Subban ( edited because I forgot him)
    Subban - not likely to take over in next year or 2, I don't think.
    Forsberg - has Korpisalo to deal with in the prospect battle, and Bobrovsky is not old.

I think having 1 young goalie is enough for now with the setup you have. If Fleury isn't playing a lot next year, re-evaluate.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I have the same tandem and I drafted Helly this year. Im also looking to add though because MAF is killing me.

Out of curiousity what did you give for Vas?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I have the same tandem and I drafted Helly this year. Im also looking to add though because MAF is killing me.

Out of curiousity what did you give for Vas?
    I gave Burakovsky, S. Reinhart and Konecny for Vasilevskiy and Kreider.
    16 Teams - Full Dynasty Keeper - H2H - 23 Players - 5 Farm Team - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If you can stash Saaros now while you try to shop Fleury around, that might work?

Judging by your signature, you must have a farm team system? Who would be your 2 'rookies' that you keep?
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Deity

Pickard is #1 on that list because he's already doing it in the NHL.

As far as the prospects go, I like Saros the most long term but prospect goalies are such a finicky thing to predict.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Poutine View Post
    Judging by your signature, you must have a farm team system? Who would be your 2 'rookies' that you keep?
    Updated my signature. I would keep Vasilevskiy as one rookie, then either Saros or someone else (i.e., Buchnevich is available) as the other. If that's the case, I don't see a point in keeping Fleury. If he stays in PIT, he's backing up Murray. If he's claimed by LV, then it might be a rough year with a brand new team. Best case scenario is that he is traded to a team like DAL or CGY, but even so, at his age, I think he's past his prime.
    16 Teams - Full Dynasty Keeper - H2H - 23 Players - 5 Farm Team - G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by You Know Jay View Post
    Updated my signature. I would keep Vasilevskiy as one rookie, then either Saros or someone else (i.e., Buchnevich is available) as the other. If that's the case, I don't see a point in keeping Fleury. If he stays in PIT, he's backing up Murray. If he's claimed by LV, then it might be a rough year with a brand new team. Best case scenario is that he is traded to a team like DAL or CGY, but even so, at his age, I think he's past his prime.
    Fleury has a NMC and has to be protected by someone. Unlikely he is available for Vegas. Hard to say how this plays out for him going forward.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Fleury has a NMC and has to be protected by someone. Unlikely he is available for Vegas. Hard to say how this plays out for him going forward.
    True. Good point. Regardless, would I even bother keeping him then? Seems like he's lost his touch lately.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Even as a Murray owner, I'd be cautious about writing Fleury off at this point. He's only 31 and has at least 2-3 years as a starting goalie in the right crease. As Axeman33 has said, he'll be protected no matter what, but it's too difficult to say right now what DAL and CGY (or others) do.

If I were you, I'd stash Saros as your other rookie and wait to see how Fleury and Bishop's situations shake out. You may be able to graduate Vasilevskiy to a Keeper as early as next year (if you want to keep 2 goalies).
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Pro

I gave Burakovsky, S. Reinhart and Konecny for Vasilevskiy and Kreider.
    Well done! That's a steal of a deal for the next Holtby.

I like Pickard and Saaros way above the others on your list. At this point it is a 50/50 for me between the two...

Dobber Sports Pro

True. Good point. Regardless, would I even bother keeping him then? Seems like he's lost his touch lately.
    That is some pretty serious recency bias. Revisit this line of thought at the end of the season. Fleury might actually play better when he is in a new stable situation rather than the uncomfortable fluid situation he is in now.

Dobber Sports Pro

NMC do not have impact in the expansion draft apparently I heard during a game recently.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    With this in mind, if Fleury prevents a trade from Pitt... would the Penguins be forced to expose Murray? This could have a drastic effect on the owners of Murray as well as MAF (If Murray goes, MAF becomes #1 on Crosby's team again).

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    He cannot outright prevent a trade. His limited no trade clause allows him to pick 12 teams to whom he refuses to be traded. He could pick the 12 worst and most goalie needy teams, but if the pens love Murray they could still trade Fleury to a team who doesn't even need him that bad for pennies on the dollar. Fleury holds cards, but not all of them.
    Ahhh. Ok. Got it. Thanks BMP! So as long as Pitt can find a dance partner for the other 18 teams, they can keep their prize Murray protected.