Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Do you.... "Black Friday"?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Do you.... "Black Friday"?

Then youre missing the whole point...a 16 yo legally cant really be forced into that. at the end of the day, the parent really makes the decision. Plus, at least here, there aren't many places with flexible enough hours etc to work round the state laws on when your kid can work, and how many hours per day etc, so they really don't have a choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    the 16 yr old also decided to work in a place that does Black Friday sales. THere's jobs that dont have BFS.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    If I see a good deal on a TV on Best Buy online I may, but it depends if I can get the online gift cards through PetroPoints at all. That was having “technical difficulties” last I checked a couple of days ago. What a coincidence.
    Same here! I have over 148K Petropoints which = about $700 in gift cards. A rep on the phone for Petro said it should be resolved in a day or 2; that was 15 days ago! You can call customer service and do it by phone though if you really want to convert your points!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Sheik View Post
    Any good bundurus out there to be had in Canada?
    ???????

Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    Then youre missing the whole point...a 16 yo legally cant really be forced into that. at the end of the day, the parent really makes the decision. Plus, at least here, there aren't many places with flexible enough hours etc to work round the state laws on when your kid can work, and how many hours per day etc, so they really don't have a choice.
    Most jobs have job availability criteria that they agree to prior to getting the job. At McDs it was being available to close the store once on weekdays, and once on weekends, same with opening the store. But if you were in school they never would schedule you for an open during a weekday. Just sometimes on a holiday.

I don’t get what you’re saying a 16yr old is getting forced into. The law in Ontario is that if you work when you’re under 16 you need a special permit. Usually only happens when someone is a December birthday and wants to work because their friends are. The next law for restricted hours is someone under 16 can’t work between the hours of 11pm and 6am. Per week kids under the age of 16 can work a max of 20hrs per week. Everything is based on being a child (under 16) here in Ontario. If you are over 16, you are not a child (I do believe). So, if the States laws are roughly the same as here if the person is 16 and older, businesses aren’t doing anything wrong as long as they keep the shifts 8hrs or the employee agrees with a written statement saying they’ll exceed it. Or His/Her established regular workday if it’s longer than 8hrs (your job says our working hrs are 10am-10pm). In a week, you can’t exceed over 48hrs but if you do it needs to be written.

What parent is making a decision on where their child works? I am just not following what you’re saying. Is it that a 16yr old usually won’t stand up against what their job might be doing (like exploiting them) and the parents having to step in?

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Same here! I have over 148K Petropoints which = about $700 in gift cards. A rep on the phone for Petro said it should be resolved in a day or 2; that was 15 days ago! You can call customer service and do it by phone though if you really want to convert your points!
    148k is $700?! I have like 360k points haha.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sage

Looks like this would be good motivation for a teenager to get a good education so they don't have to work retail.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Looks like this would be good motivation for a teenager to get a good education so they don't have to work retail.
    When I was in High School (may have started in Grade 8/9 actually, I can't recall), my mom got me a job at her manufacturing plant in the summers - oilfield related. It was a brutal job. Filthy, time clocks, lunchtime whistles and having to be at work, on break, off break etc to the minute. I wore my fingerprints off using some sort of fine sandpaper to take imperfections off of polish rods for 8 hours a day. I had rashes on my forearms from the grease that I had to apply to those same rods . When I wasn't doing that I got to work on something called the groover that had stories about ripping people's hands off if they were not careful, or working next to the furnaces where it was like 45 degrees and the guys took salt tablets. I got yelled at a lot and there were quotas on everything I did. Worked like a dog.

Found out years later my mom told the foremen to give me the absolute worst jobs and make my life as miserable as possible so that I would pursue higher education. I was moved out and living in a basement suite within a week of graduating and attending University. I would say it was good motivation!

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Found out years later my mom told the foremen to give me the absolute worst jobs and make my life as miserable as possible so that I would pursue higher education. I was moved out and living in a basement suite within a week of graduating and attending University. I would say it was good motivation!
    You have a smart mother!
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    Its a huge family tradition (and travel time where family has the ability to travel). These kids are being forced to work on Thanksgiving, or lose their job(where else can a 16 year old really work?). Its not right. The government should step in if the billion dollar companies are exploiting children. Absolutely. Not to mention that people have been killed, trampled etc.
    This seems possibly a bit misplaced. People have been killed crossing the street, it's not a good reason not to cross the street. Also there's a lot of people that have no family, or crap abusive families, or are very poor and need the money that comes with the extra hours or overtime, or any number of reasons. Some people are more than happy to work Black Friday sales--in many cases you'll get double time and a half! I had a good family when I was a teenager and had to work Thanksgiving as a teenager sometimes--frankly I didn't get along well with some of them and I was happy to miss it. I also discovered not everyone celebrates it at all! I worked in a crap wannabe Italian chain restaurant and people would come in on Thanksgiving like it was just another day. It's like Christmas--I had a lot of Jewish friends growing up and because everything was closed except the movies and a few ethnic restaurants, they'd always wind up going to the movies and eating Chinese food or whatever. In the meantime we have people railing against things being open or people saying "happy holidays" instead of "merry christmas". I dunno. Seems like there's a lot of room for people not to be as ra-ra family time about Thanksgiving.

Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving to all our American dobberites, enjoy the time off if you got it
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Immortal

My sound bar just died over the weekend. Any solid deals or purchases by anyone?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    My sound bar just died over the weekend. Any solid deals or purchases by anyone?
    I’d check Amazon, and Best Buy. We have a store in my city that’s called Audio 2001 or something like that and it’s all high end electronics and some were on sale. I wasn’t keeping an eye out for Sound Bars, but I did see Best Buy had some on sale

Amazon has a no-name 55” 4K TV for like $400.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Banned

I suggest two speakers rather than a soundbar. Take a look at pioneers Andrew Jones speakers.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Sheik View Post
    I suggest two speakers rather than a soundbar. Take a look at pioneers Andrew Jones speakers.
    Hm ya....I live a condo with a girlfriend haha. Not much room for 2 speakers.....yet.

Banned

Hm ya....I live a condo with a girlfriend haha. Not much room for 2 speakers.....yet.
    I live in a small apartment and have two speakers. They're small.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Same situation... exactly why I have a soundbar too. I've got a pretty big condo, but two high quality speakers are overkill and if you get'em too small you're sacrificing quality. Plus I LOVE the sleek look of a wall mounted soundbar.

I've got the Sonos Playbar + Sub combo and after having gone through a few systems myself, I think they are among the highest quality and best looking setups for a condo (without spending a fortune). And if you move into a house in the future you can easily add two speakers as part of the same set (the Sonos sets are very flexible this way) to seamlessly upgrade to 5.1

https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-3-1-Hom...ords=sonos+2.1

Banned

Here is what I have. They are great and pretty cheap. Excellent high quality. The highest rated low price speakers out there, If you really care about sound quality, you would never get a soudbar. If you don't care, then go for it. Getting a soundbar makes it impossible to create a soundstage. But if you don't care then whatever, it's all good. It's at least an upgrade over tv speakers

https://www.amazon.ca/Pioneer-SP-BS2.../dp/B008NCD2LG