Thread: Draft class comparison: 2017 vs 2018

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Draft class comparison: 2017 vs 2018

Does anyone have any insight into the quality/depth of the two draft classes?

I've only heard minor notes on the forums about 2017 being relatively weak. Not much of a whisper about 2018.

The basis for my question is that I have a choice of draft years from which to receive a first round pick for an entry draft (this pick should land somewhere between 10th and 15th overall).

I'm leaning towards 2018 but I'd really love any input into this.

Thanks,
    14-team Keeper w/custom salary cap
    Keep btw 12-14, excl. Minors
    Skater cats (weight): G (1.75), A (1.75), +/- (0.75), Hits (0.75), BS (0.75)
    Goalie cats: W (0.25), GAA (1.00), SV% (1.00)

C : Colton Kuznetsov Frost WKarlsson ---MBourque Rossi MSavoie Fantilli Carlsson
    LW: Caufield Hagel Nichushkin EKane---Musty
    RW: Tippett Necas Brown Kakko---Yurov Lysell Stankoven ECowan
    D : Theodore Seider Addison Klingberg Gostisbehere Fehervary---Edvinsson
    G : Talbot Korpisalo ---Commesso Augustine
    Bench/IR: Chabot Hart Novak Andersen

2024 entry draft picks: 3 1sts, 1 2nd
    2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd
    Fantrax IHL Champion: 2018/19, 2015/16, 2011/12

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Draft class comparison: 2017 vs 2018

2018 is too far IMO; a lot of things can happen from now until then. As for 2017, the draft class is a good one IMO. Nolan Patrick is the Matthews of the bunch and Eeli Tolvanen could be the Laine to a lesser extent. You will have Max Comtois that has drawn comparaisons to PL Dubois and Tim Liljegren who should be the top offensive D-man from the class.

I think the top 5-8 players should be solid picks for their respective teams; afterwards, it gets a bit cloudy. Usually players will emerge before the draft so I'm not too worried about the talent coming from this class. If anything, players worldwide are becoming better and better and are starting to play (and even dominate) early on in the pros.

Here's Bob McKenzie's draft review for 2017... it's a bit dated but it gives you a good idea of who will be on the board early on:
    http://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-s-pre-sea...draft-1.567410

In regards to your question, unless you are rebuilding, take the earlier draft and work your way to getting some picks in 2018 during the 2017 season.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Wizard

The 2017 draft class doesn't have much top-end talent but since you're talking about a pick in the 10-15 range, take the earlier pick. There are always around 20 good prospects each year, and after the top-10 there isn't that much difference from year to year.

This is from the linked Bob McKenzie review which says everything you need to know about the top-end talent of 2017 draft class:
    Patrick's birthday is Sept. 19, so he was just four days off being eligible for last season's draft. Had he been available last June, where would he slot amongst the best players of a very strong draft class, like Matthews, Patrik Laine, Jesse Puljujarvi and Pierre-Luc Dubois, among others?

The consensus amongst scouts surveyed by TSN is that Patrick wouldn't have displaced any of the top four picks in last year's draft. Depending on the scout, they retroactively rank Patrick anywhere between No. 5 and 10, based on his 2015-16 season.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Unless there is a McDavid type at stake, I would always take the earlier pick. In my experience during the 2017 draft class hype it should be pretty easy to move the 2017 pick for a 2018 pick.