Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kovalchuk will explore NHL options

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Kovalchuk will explore NHL options

He says he will explore a return to the NHL this summer.

I bit on him once before but won't again.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Kovalchuk will explore NHL options

I mean, He's not Radulov. At age 33 (34 by next year), how effective would he be anyways.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I mean, He's not Radulov. At age 33 (34 by next year), how effective would he be anyways.
    Even if he turns into Iginla, where he's basically a DH on the PP as a shooter, teams would be interested.
    Not sure how the league would feel though.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Im not gonna pretend to be following his KHL scoring but he was elite when he was in the NHL...something Radulov has never been. I'd take a flyer if you can next year for sure

Dobber Sports Veteran

True. Kovalchuk is pretty old. After all, he was 7 years old when Jagr played his first NHL game. (sorry... I just love Jagr age comparisons and can't resist).

Dobber Sports Wizard

Radulov was a much better player when they both played in the KHL. Kovalchuk isn't anywhere near the player he was in his prime.

I believe he needed to be 35 before he could return to the NHL freely. If he wants to return before that, every NHL team has to approve it. I doubt they'd do that when they have the opportunity to block another team from getting a free player.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Even if he turns into Iginla, where he's basically a DH on the PP as a shooter, teams would be interested.
    Not sure how the league would feel though.
    Yea, I meant from a fantasy perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Im not gonna pretend to be following his KHL scoring but he was elite when he was in the NHL...something Radulov has never been. I'd take a flyer if you can next year for sure
    I meant from an age perspective. 4 years in age difference is a quite a bit. And FWIW, if you compare their first two season, Radulov was on a similar career progression as Kovalchuk before he went to the KHL, and as stated, Radulov significantly outpaced Kovalchuk the last 3 season in the KHL.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Radulov was a much better player when they both played in the KHL. Kovalchuk isn't anywhere near the player he was in his prime.

I believe he needed to be 35 before he could return to the NHL freely. If he wants to return before that, every NHL team has to approve it. I doubt they'd do that when they have the opportunity to block another team from getting a free player.
    True. NHL teams will veto it if they can... only 1 team won't and that will be the team that he signs with. haha.

I think that he should have to play with Las Vegas if he comes to the NHL, so he can't just go to the high-bidder... and Las Vegas has the benefit of paying him a mid-level contract. And another reason I like this is that he cannot just sign with a cup contending team.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    True. NHL teams will veto it if they can... only 1 team won't and that will be the team that he signs with. haha.

I think that he should have to play with Las Vegas if he comes to the NHL, so he can't just go to the high-bidder... and Las Vegas has the benefit of paying him a mid-level contract. And another reason I like this is that he cannot just sign with a cup contending team.
    I assume he will have to be re-instated before he can talk or sign a contract with any team, rather than sign a contract and then get re-instated.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I assume he will have to be re-instated before he can talk or sign a contract with any team, rather than sign a contract and then get re-instated.
    Is there anything stopping him from talking to NHL team though?

There is no threat of tampering because he is not under contract?

The Magnificent One

I remeber something about the devils having his rights before anyone else. Or atleast they need to give the ok before all other teams accept. Don't remember all the rules
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    I remeber something about the devils having his rights before anyone else. Or atleast they need to give the ok before all other teams accept. Don't remember all the rules
    Here you go

http://www.allaboutthejersey.com/201...-should-say-no

Basically:
    there are only three ways for him to return.

1. All thirty teams would grant permission to return to the NHL. He would be a free agent.

2. Kovalchuk can sit out a year and not play hockey anywhere. After then, only the Devils need to grant his permission to return to the NHL. He would be a free agent.

3. Kovalchuk would wait until he's 35. At that point, he's free to come back without any permission. That would be the 2018-19 season
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm trying to imagine how this comment would have sounded a year ago...I feel like you'd have been piled on for it
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Just took a look, he's pretty much a pt/gm player in the KHL since going over. Being 6 years older than Radulov & putting up 60-70% of Radulov's numbers. I'd go on a limb here and think he's a 50-55pt guy upon return. Maybe 60 in the right situation.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

He seems to produce well in KHL this season with 58pts in 44 games, +25.

Back in NHL in 2017-18 ?
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev