Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Signed] R.A. Dickey with the Braves

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: [Signed] R.A. Dickey with the Braves

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    You could very well be right. He just didn't work out here unfortunately. Not sure what to expect from him though at 42 years of age.
    A knuckleballer at 42 is like any normal pitcher at 35. Still some gas left in the tank.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    You could very well be right. He just didn't work out here unfortunately. Not sure what to expect from him though at 42 years of age.
    I was not suggesting that was the case... I was just hoping that where he pitches best as a braves fan!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    A knuckleballer at 42 is like any normal pitcher at 35. Still some gas left in the tank.
    So you're saying there's a chance!! haha

Dobber Sports Padawan

If he did not come with the baggage of a personal catcher that wasted a roster spot, I would've loved for him to come back to the Jays. He could have been a much needed arm who could give the Jays +150 innings. Braves may have signed him but I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded to a team that needs pitching help in season.

While the trade can be looked at as a loss (it is) Dickey was more than fine as a starter in Toronto. He gave them on average 200 innings a season and seemed to go deep into games where the BP needed a night off. As a whole, I don't see how him leaving makes the Jays pitching stronger. Stroman, Sanchez, Happ, Estrada, Liriano, Dickey would give the BP another (much needed) arm in Biagini.

Dobber Sports Titan

At the time of the trade I’m pretty sure Da’Naurd or whatever the catchers name was the higher prospect. And the Mets said we want a young pitcher back and said Syndergaard (38th overall), Sanchez (34th overall), or McGuire (selected 11th overall). Toronto said, not Sanchez pick one of the remaining two. Mets picked Syndergaard obviously. It was a 50/50 shot at being a terrible trade for the Mets.

It was also after the trades to bring in Reyes, Buerhle, and Josh Johnson (the SP, I think it was Josh).So they were in a win now mode. Trades work out, trades don’t.

I know it’s a lot of what-ifs, but the next pitcher to be drafted after McGuire in that 2010 MLB draft was Sale. Imagine the Jays rotation of Sanchez, Syndergaard, Sale? They also got Sam Dyson in that draft (Texas Ranger RP with the beard). And a little 3B named Kris Bryant in the 18th round!!!!! He did not sign tho.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

Nice guy, definitely underrated and probably underappreciated during his time here.

Still couldn't stand watching him pitch though.

Wish him all the best going forward! Would love to see him have some success. Just not a good fit here.