Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Next David Johnson?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default The Next David Johnson?

Anybody have any gut feelings about little owned RBs that might become starters next year? I've thrown in the towel on this season, but we get to keep four players each year. Looking to give my extra roster spots to players who might end up in a great situation next season. Obviously, the guy who picked up David Johnson in the middle of last season ended up with a top draft pick for free. Any thoughts?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: The Next David Johnson?

There's isn't a David Johnson. Most players who are freak talents start immediately. Players who could be But Derek Henry, Kenneth Dixon, Kenyon Drake, Paul Perkins, Wendel Smallwood could all earn starter roles next season. There's some other guys, but they are likely owned as they've already grabbed roles this season.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    There's isn't a David Johnson. Most players who are freak talents start immediately. Players who could be But Derek Henry, Kenneth Dixon, Kenyon Drake, Paul Perkins, Wendel Smallwood could all earn starter roles next season. There's some other guys, but they are likely owned as they've already grabbed roles this season.
    +1 on the Smallwood mention. In my dynasty league Henry, Dixon, Drake, Perkins have all been owned for a while. Smallwood is a guy though that was available on waivers and I snatched him up recently. He appears buried for now, but next season is the final contract year for both Ryan Mathews ($5 mil cap hit, $1 mil dead cap) and Darren Sproles ($4 mil cap hit, no dead cap). If the Eagles desire they can send both guys packing and save $8 mil in cap space with only $1 mil dead cap. This would potentially put Smallwood in a starting role. If one or both of Mathews/Sproles are kept by the Eagles next year, then he might be the starter in 2018-19. To be clear, it is probably not overwhelmingly likely that Smallwood is the starter 2017-18 or even 2018-19, but it is a possibility that is worth a stash if he is available and you have a bench spot to burn.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I would Suggest D. Henry. I think the amount that Murray is running this year will result in injury or wear for him. And Tennesse is an offense built to run and he has skill in both rushing and passing game.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I would Suggest D. Henry. I think the amount that Murray is running this year will result in injury or wear for him. And Tennesse is an offense built to run and he has skill in both rushing and passing game.
    Murray is making $6.25mil next year, all dead cap. Unless he gets injured (which you did suggest), I would bet against Henry getting the majority of carries. Henry is a great talent, but I think his year is 2018-19 when the Titans can drop Murray with no cap penalty. Just my $.02. But anyways, he is not a David Johnson type because he is highly touted and already owned in every dynasty league worth its salt. OP mentioned picking up a guy mid season so I think he is trolling for waiver wire pick ups.

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Murray is making $6.25mil next year, all dead cap. Unless he gets injured (which you did suggest), I would bet against Henry getting the majority of carries. Henry is a great talent, but I think his year is 2018-19 when the Titans can drop Murray with no cap penalty. Just my $.02. But anyways, he is not a David Johnson type because he is highly touted and already owned in every dynasty league worth its salt. OP mentioned picking up a guy mid season so I think he is trolling for waiver wire pick ups.
    Should David Johnson not have been owned at this time last year as well?

Dobber Sports Pro

Good point. Maybe it is only a 1 or 2 keeper league... I am pretty sure that Derrick Henry was drafted in nearly every league this year, whereas David Johnson spent at least some time on waivers in a fair number of leagues last year. But if it isn't a true dynasty league then maybe someone has dropped him.

Good point. Maybe it is only a 1 or 2 keeper league... I am pretty sure that Derrick Henry was drafted in nearly every league this year, whereas David Johnson spent at least some time on waivers in a fair number of leagues last year. But if it isn't a true dynasty league then maybe someone has dropped him.
    Its a Keep 4 league. So a championship contending team, if they owned them... they likely would have dropped him through the bye weeks.,

Dobber Sports Pro

Its a Keep 4 league. So a championship contending team, if they owned them... they likely would have dropped him through the bye weeks.,
    Ah, my bad. Did not read thoroughly enough to catch the keep 4 part. Good call. My lack of reading comprehension led me to think dynasty. I wouldn't bother touching Smallwood in a keep 4, and I would hope to keep four players better than Henry - but if not then I agree hes a great grab if he's available.

Ah, my bad. Did not read thoroughly enough to catch the keep 4 part. Good call. My lack of reading comprehension led me to think dynasty. I wouldn't bother touching Smallwood in a keep 4, and I would hope to keep four players better than Henry - but if not then I agree hes a great grab if he's available.

Yes I agree... there should be 4 players better. I am just a faithful Henry owner (dynasty) and hoping for a Murray injury and a chance for Henry.

Dobber Sports Titan

Jay Ajayi. That’s the closest I see to finishing like DJ, and starting next yr at that high of an O-Rank. Talent + Opportunity finally happened for him. He had a couple of these big games last yr I do believe, but was hidden behind L.Miller. This yr was behind Foster, and not given a real chance to do well. Foster left, cloud gone, Ajayi No1.

Melvin Gordon could be another one, but he was pretty much owned from the get-go.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Pro

I dropped Ajayi in week 3 or 4 in an auction league where we keep 3. He would have cost me $3 next year out of a $400 budget. Sigh

Theoretically, no. He wasn't nearly as highly touted pre or post draft. He quickly turned into a freak, but didn't have nearly the hype that Henry has had all along.

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Theoretically, no. He wasn't nearly as highly touted pre or post draft. He quickly turned into a freak, but didn't have nearly the hype that Henry has had all along.
    Maybe theoretically.... but Literally? Literally was he not performing great by week 10 last year??

Maybe theoretically.... but Literally? Literally was he not performing great by week 10 last year??
    Yes