Thread: Is Malcolm Subban done?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Is Malcolm Subban done?

Been a big fan of his since he was drafted, but yikes after his latest NHL start, and now watching his last game against the Crunch in the AHL, there is something seriously wrong with him. Bad positioning, and bad habits. Looks like a guy that has lost all his confidence. I know he is 22 years old, but do you think the expectations are lower now for him? Personally I think the goalie coach in Providence should be held accountable for allowing him to drop like this, and that he may need a new organization that will get his development back on track.

Would love to draft him in my keeper, but it's worrisome to see him like this.
    [I]12 Team Salary Cap Keeper:
    Fowards: Points Only
    Defenseman: Points & .1 points for hits and BS
    Goalies: 2 pts for win & 3 pts for shutout.

Administrator

Default Re: Is Malcolm Subban done?

I'd pass on him in the league in your sig. He had a couple solid AHL seasons but when called upon in the NHL he hasn't delivered. Doesn't exactly give the team confidence in making him a backup to play spot duty behind Rask...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Read something on THW today which also got me apprehensive, his recent regression is puzzling, and I wonder how much the rivalry with the habs was a factor in drafting him.

Dobber Sports Newbie

He is definitely having a rough go this year but he is still only 22 yrs old. Goalies always take longer to mature and become viable options, he may be 2-3 years away but if you can stash him I would, at least for the time being.

Dobber Sports Titan

Jacob Markstrom was highly touted like him, and had some early struggles adjusting to the NHL, years later he's finally showing he belongs.

- - - Updated - - -

I could see a similar timeline for Subban down the line, as a worst case scenario.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Quote Originally Posted by Rato View Post
    Read something on THW today which also got me apprehensive, his recent regression is puzzling, and I wonder how much the rivalry with the habs was a factor in drafting him.
    I saw that report as well, but honestly I don't take much stock in it considering the writer doesn't seem knowledgeable. Plus if the bruins did indeed draft subban solely because his brother was on the Habs then the whole drafting staff should be fired. If I recall in the draft Vasey and Subban were the top ranked goalies in that draft, and with Vasey taken the Bruins simply drafted the next best goalie in hopes of having a successor to Rask down the line.

Dobber Sports Titan

I think Oscar Dansk was slated as the 2nd best goalie in the draft, then Subban. But I don’t think the Habs had anything to do with Subban being drafted where he was. I think the Bruins just saw something more in Subban than Dansk. And not like he has done much since being drafted, he went back to the SHL in May 2015 after playing in the ECHL in 2014-15.

I don’t think having a top goalie prospect in a dynasty league is really worth the spot. They take a long time usually to develop and you just waste a roster spot on them. Like Linus Ullmark in Buffalo was drafted 163 the same yr and has more of a hopeful career ahead of him it seems.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Lots of goalies do not become stars until late 20's.... this is what I am thinking is the case here.

He has had the spotlight shone on him because of his last name and how much spotlight PK could handle... putting additional stress on him.

Give him time.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Jacob Markstrom was highly touted like him, and had some early struggles adjusting to the NHL, years later he's finally showing he belongs.
    My exact thoughts when I read this thread.
    I'm not saying anybody has a hunch on whether Subban makes it... but if he hangs around long-enough, the right situation might work for him.
    He could be a back-up to Saros in a few years from now in Nashville. I'm sure that might work just fine for him.

Administrator

The bigger question:

If Subban needs another few years to fully hit his stride and/or create himself an opportunity to become a starter, doesn't that make him waiver wire fodder until he starts showing better signs? In a 14-team league with limited roster space I would think there are better prospects and bench players with equal upside and less risk/wait.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I think Oscar Dansk was slated as the 2nd best goalie in the draft, then Subban. But I don’t think the Habs had anything to do with Subban being drafted where he was. I think the Bruins just saw something more in Subban than Dansk. And not like he has done much since being drafted, he went back to the SHL in May 2015 after playing in the ECHL in 2014-15.

I don’t think having a top goalie prospect in a dynasty league is really worth the spot. They take a long time usually to develop and you just waste a roster spot on them. Like Linus Ullmark in Buffalo was drafted 163 the same yr and has more of a hopeful career ahead of him it seems.
    Actually I just looked up the 2012 draft and Dansk was ranked the 2nd best european goalie behind Vasey. While subban was ranked #1 among North American with central scouting. And I would agree having a goalie prospect typically isn't worth having, but in this past year the league passed a new rule allowing us to keep goalies in our farm team till they turn the age of 26 if we choose to. We did it as a way so teams could have more development time with goalie prospects as it was rare for any goalie to make it as a 20-23 year old.