Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who's #1?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Who's #1?

Price vs Holtby? I think everyone had holtby ahead of price in a dynasty league setting before the season started. has price's ridiculously hot start changed anyone's mind? or do the injury concerns and age factor still give holtby the edge?
    or let me put it more bluntly, as a holtby owner, should I try and trade him for price, or keep holtby?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Who's #1?

I honestly think that this would be a parallel move if you made the trade, I would be happy owning either of these goalies right now.

If wins is a category I would hold onto Holtby because I see over the course of the season Holtby getting more wins.

Dobber Sports Titan

I would take Price if I could get a plus thrown on top of. Otherwise I would just hold Holtby. They are even, Holtby likely with the better team and the smaller injury risk.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I would take Price if I could get a plus thrown on top of. Otherwise I would just hold Holtby. They are even, Holtby likely with the better team and the smaller injury risk.
    Agreed. As I lamented at the beginning of the year....I had the 6th pick in a 10 team yearly draft where goalies normally fly off the board. Went Holtby 6 assuming there would be a run of goalies and I'd still get a top player. Well picks 7-10 all autodrafted so they took 2 players each.....the 5th overall guy ended with Price. I regret that decision now

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Price is the better goalie, and generally speaking Holtby has the better team. Though of course the Habs are the hottest team in hockey right now, but when is that not the case in October? I think if I had to choose, I'd take Holtby in one-year scenarios over Price, but otherwise Carey's the man. He's far and away the better goalie in real life and I expect he'll have a long and (hopefully) storied career. Goalies seem to just get better with age until they lose it, especially the best ones.

Now that's not to sell Holtby short, he's obviously fantastic and health wise, seems more durable at this point and time. But you have to wonder how much the Trotz system benefits him, as it seems to do with a lot of goalies.

Really grasping here but as far as fantasy goes they might as well be the same person. It's just, assuming Price's knee isn't going to be an issue (or some other health troubles, which can afflict anyone) I'd be much more comfortable putting money down on Price still being relevant 8-10 years down the road

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'd be happy with either, or both
    12 Team - Keep 3 (1- Forward / 1- Defense / 1- Goalie / Cannot keep round 1 and 2 picks Cannot trade 1st or 2nd round draft picks)

Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, Hits ,Blks | Goalie; W, L , GAA , SV% , SHO

C - Horvat / Tavares
    LW - Toffoli / Nugent Hopkins / Haula /Hagel
    RW - Necas / Thompson
    D - Makar / Barrie / McNabb / Forsling / Sergachev
    G- Shesterkin
    G- Murray
    IR-Theodore

Dobber Sports Wizard

Cam Talbot.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It probably depends on categories, but I wouldn't bother trying hard to "upgrade" one for the other, unless you love or hate one of the teams or players.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by HabsBlood View Post
    Price is the better goalie, and generally speaking Holtby has the better team. Though of course the Habs are the hottest team in hockey right now, but when is that not the case in October? I think if I had to choose, I'd take Holtby in one-year scenarios over Price, but otherwise Carey's the man. He's far and away the better goalie in real life and I expect he'll have a long and (hopefully) storied career. Goalies seem to just get better with age until they lose it, especially the best ones.

Now that's not to sell Holtby short, he's obviously fantastic and health wise, seems more durable at this point and time. But you have to wonder how much the Trotz system benefits him, as it seems to do with a lot of goalies.

Really grasping here but as far as fantasy goes they might as well be the same person. It's just, assuming Price's knee isn't going to be an issue (or some other health troubles, which can afflict anyone) I'd be much more comfortable putting money down on Price still being relevant 8-10 years down the road
    I think you're over-stating the case. Price is not far and away the better goalie; Holtby is excellent and so is Price. The "system goalie" slight is unfair. Holtby being younger, less injury prone and on a better team are factors too. It is a flip of the coin IMO, but also dependent on your cats.
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I think Price is awesome and probably the best fantasy goalie to own, but to be honest I would rather have Holtby in a keeper league!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Genius

Price is better in real life, fantasy and its not close. He will win a cup by himself good.
    Holtby had the better team....just ask Team Canada who Is better. the habs are hot as stink now and its not necessarily his play but his demeanor...calmness, ability to play the puck. By far the best fantasy goalie option and he's rusty! lol
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post
    Price is better in real life, fantasy and its not close. He will win a cup by himself good.
    Holtby had the better team....just ask Team Canada who Is better. the habs are hot as stink now and its not necessarily his play but his demeanor...calmness, ability to play the puck. By far the best fantasy goalie option and he's rusty! lol
    While I agree that Price is the better goaltender, the team Canada argument is just a bad argument.

I guess with your logic , Jay Bouwmeester is better than Mark Giordano.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    While I agree that Price is the better goaltender, the team Canada argument is just a bad argument.

I guess with your logic , Jay Bouwmeester is better than Mark Giordano.
    haha, yeah cause goaltending and defence are the same thing right? Completely different argument. There is one goaltender on a team. Its best goalie period. Boewmeester clearly is better at what he did for Canada then what Giordano would have.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Expert

haha, yeah cause goaltending and defence are the same thing right? Completely different argument. There is one goaltender on a team. Its best goalie period. Boewmeester clearly is better at what he did for Canada then what Giordano would have.
    Watch some hockey if you think Bouwmeester is better defensively than Giordano.

- - - Updated - - -

There is one goaltender on a team. Its best goalie period.
    There was 3 goalie on every team at the WCOH.
    Team USA says hi.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Carey Price by far. Before Trotz got to washington, Holtby wasn't even assured of his number 1 goalie status. Price especially with Shea Weber there is the undisputed number 1 goalie in the world.