Thread: Hockey back in Seattle?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Hockey back in Seattle?

Bettman has not hid his desire to get an NHL team in Seattle (before and/or in lieu of one going to Quebec...my poor Nordiques...sigh). With Chris Hansen pledging to build an arena there using no public funds, the approval process could go pretty quick. I would suspect that they would try to get an NHL team in there as a dual use arena. Wonder if Carolina or Arizona might have a new home soon.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Hockey back in Seattle?

Interesting that a guy is going to build the arena out of his own pocket.

I think that a new team would make sense before one of those teams moves. I do not think Bettman wants a league with an un-even # of teams for very long.

Administrator

My thinking is Seattle would get the 32nd team (expansion) while Quebec is going to be the easy landing spot if things don't end well in Carolina or elsewhere.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Initiate

The articles I have been reading suggest that they want to get the NHL team in sooner rather than later because, under the original agreement, they had to guarantee an NBA expansion franchise. That might take time to get an NBA franchise so if they want an NHL team in while they wait suggests an established team being relocated. Bettman will hold out for as long as it takes to get Seattle in before Quebec IMO. Dunno why the hard line stance with Quebec....they have a fan base and an arena already.

Administrator

Quebec is such an easy landing spot because they'll always be open to having a team. It's a good option to keep off to the side in case there's trouble somewhere.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch32 View Post
    Wonder if Carolina or Arizona might have a new home soon.
    You're right, it's no secret that Seattle is nearly a lock for an NHL team. Bettman has a plan and I'm certain it includes Seattle and balanced conferences. Quebec will likely get either Carolina or Florida. Arizona is staying put, especially after all the hardships Bettman has had to weather keeping the Coyotes in Arizona.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    My thinking is Seattle would get the 32nd team (expansion) while Quebec is going to be the easy landing spot if things don't end well in Carolina or elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    You're right, it's no secret that Seattle is nearly a lock for an NHL team. Bettman has a plan and I'm certain it includes Seattle and balanced conferences. Quebec will likely get either Carolina or Florida. Arizona is staying put, especially after all the hardships Bettman has had to weather keeping the Coyotes in Arizona.
    Agree & agree.
    Everything about the process so far suggests that QC doesn't fit the #32 slot... right now.
    Balance seems a little better if Seattle gets that team.

Of course, Seattle getting a team is a 3rd domino.
    1a they need the NBA team.
    1b they need the arena.
    (I'm not really sure which goes first - haven't read the NBA articles... but I know having an arena is most profitable if you can dual-use it for two sports + concerts/other).

It just "feels" right, for some reason.
    With Vegas & Arizona re-rising & Vancouver young, time feels right for Seattle to join the Youthful West.

And I agree that QC works REAL well for a re-location.
    The arena & city are ready to go for hockey immediately.
    That means that if a team is ready to sell... then QC works (whereas Seattle doesn't).
    And having that "relocation spot" for a struggling NHL team is also smart.
    And Bettman, he's smart... bit of an ass, sure... but smart.

As for "relocates" - I'll half admit defeat on Florida... but I still think that owner (Viola) is all about turning a huge SALE profit, and justifying it with showing that his annual bottom line doesn't work.
    For the great rise of the FLA team last year, they still aren't drawing fans.
    2nd last in the NHL this year thru 4-home games.
    http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance

I'll be interested to see how the Cats did last year for their NET.
    Forbes NHL Team valuations usually come out in late November.

Today's DID YOU KNOW - The Carolina Hurricanes have NOT played a home game yet.
    They open there tomorrow (Saturday) night (v NYR).
    The Canes actually traditionally play very few home games in OCT due to the "State Fair".
    Fun Reading:
    http://www.canescountry.com/2016/10/...commodore-uber