Thread: Multi Cat: Backes + Gudas vs Seguin and roster analysis

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Multi Cat: Backes + Gudas vs Seguin and roster analysis

I am in a league with identical categories and player slots as league 1 in my signature where I have drafted mostly multi cat value guys vs shooters/scorers.

Current Roster:
    F: giroux, voracek, simmonds, backes, kesler, kreider, landeskog, JVR, brouwer, panik, pacioretty, konecny, stone, okposo, nash, dubinsky, bailey, vrbata
    D: subban, klingberg, gudas
    G: price, varlomov
    ir: murray

I drafted using the rankings put out by fantasy hockey geek using dobbers projections. As it stands after the first two weeks, I'm in second last place. I had some goaltending issues to start the year, and the other team had hot streaks, but things should settle down now in that department.

Looking at my cats vs others cats, I'm lacking in the SOG/scoring dept so I approached another GM who had the lowest pims and hits, but has crosby, seguin, kucherov, barkov and hall on his roster. I said to him that I need a shooter and you need a bruiser - interested in kuch and hall, do you like anything on my roster?

He replies saying he likes backes and to a lesser extent, kesler. I said that backes was really important to me since he covers so many cats, and asked if he would take backes + someone else for Seguin? He said he wants Gudas!

A) Gudas and Backes make up a significant portion of my pims and hits, so in our leagues settings, it is kind of fair value
    B) In any other world where people don`t analyze things like this, does this trade look ridiculous and one sided

I am the commissioner of the league and don`t want to make trades that appear to be way too one sided, so what am I to do here - do I accept this verbal trade offer... or do I package things to make it look nicer...

For example

my: Giroux, Backes, Gudas
    his: Seguin, Kucherov

When I look at this above sample offer, I see the winner as the side acquiring Seguin, but Backes and Gudas actually hold more value than that.

thoughts?

FHG ranks for my league, for reference:

32: Backes
    43: Giroux
    52: Seguin
    55: Gudas
    68: Kucherov
    L1: 14T keep 10 H2H 12F/6D/2G/3B
    P Cats: g/a/+/-/pim/sog/bs/stp/hits
    G Cats: w/sv/so/gaa/sv%

F: tarasenko,yamamoto,p kane,backstrom, zuccarello,gourde,lafreniere,w karlsson,iafallo,bunting,khaira,brown,pageau,vorac ek, palat,verhaeghe
    D: klingberg,theodore,gudas,burns
    G: varlomov,talbot,shesterkin
    IR: radulov,pettersson

L2: 10T keep 10 H2H

F: w. karlsson,mcdavid,kreider,nylander,hoffman,giroux,d ebrincat,reinhart,hintz,verhaeghe,tuch,iafallo,tol vanen,robertson
    D: klingberg,trouba,yandle,faulk,letang
    G: shesterkin,sorokin,lankinen,lehner
    IR: seguin,petterson,fleury

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Multi Cat: Backes + Gudas vs Seguin and roster analysis

I would keep it simple. GMs should be able to manage their own teams, otherwise where is the fun in that. I like the deal for you, and would take it ASAP. Additionally, you can fill the empty spot off the wire likely with a D that still hits a lot (probably not to the same extent as Gudas).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I would keep it simple. GMs should be able to manage their own teams, otherwise where is the fun in that. I like the deal for you, and would take it ASAP. Additionally, you can fill the empty spot off the wire likely with a D that still hits a lot (probably not to the same extent as Gudas).
    I agree with GMs being able to manage their own teams and that vetoes should only occur with clear collusion. It's just a bit harder when you are the commissioner lol.

I like the original deal too, Seguin for Backes and Gudas - I'll let this simmer until after dinner and ask him to send me a proposal.

While we are here, thoughts on Ladd? essentially, I would be adding in Kesler into the deal in exchange for Ladd

oooorrr.. Backes and Kesler for Seguin and Ladd
    L1: 14T keep 10 H2H 12F/6D/2G/3B

F: tarasenko,yamamoto,p kane,backstrom, zuccarello,gourde,lafreniere,w karlsson,iafallo,bunting,khaira,brown,pageau,vorac ek, palat,verhaeghe
    D: klingberg,theodore,gudas,burns
    G: varlomov,talbot,shesterkin
    IR: radulov,pettersson

L2: 10T keep 10 H2H

F: w. karlsson,mcdavid,kreider,nylander,hoffman,giroux,d ebrincat,reinhart,hintz,verhaeghe,tuch,iafallo,tol vanen,robertson
    D: klingberg,trouba,yandle,faulk,letang
    G: shesterkin,sorokin,lankinen,lehner
    IR: seguin,petterson,fleury

Dobber Sports Titan

Ladd is a bit of a downgrade on Kesler, but if that's what it takes to get the deal done, then so be it. If you can pull Gudas out, then even better.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)