Thread: Loss of Access to Re-Download The Guide and List

I...am your father.

Default Loss of Access to Re-Download The Guide and List

UPDATE

The good news is that we found what caused the issue. When I updated the Guide Sunday night, everyone lost access to their download. Only new customers had access. I spent about 12 hours manually putting back each person's access who emailed me.

The bad news is that I figured out what caused the issue tonight when I tried to update the Guide again. Everyone lost access to re-download. Again. Including my 12 hours of work. I can't go through that again. I'll die! So I have tech working on a solution to get a mass permission fix for all.

If you need the Guide and it is urgent (can't wait 12 hours):

1. You could buy it a second time, and then I'd get you a refund later in the week when the dust settles. That's a crappy solution, I'm sorry, but it's guaranteed to work.
    2. Email our admin via the contact link on dobberhockey, or email me personally [email protected] and I can just attach it. But these are huge files and I have about 50 people in line right now

Very sorry for this. I wonder if the system limited how many updates I could do? I had 32 updates that worked fine, but 33 and 34 caused the problem, and come to think of it the Draft List had 17 updates so that adds up to an even 50. I wonder if I was limited to 50 updates? Something I will for sure be adjusting if we can find out where!

UPDATE 8am EST Tuesday

- Discovered the issue is indeed all the times I update the Guide. It has made the database unmanageable (grown to a quarter million entries). So a new way of setting this up is needed. But we'll worry about that in a few days where there isn't this time crunch. For now an immediate fix is needed.
    - We're going to generate 'permissions' for everybody soon. I hope that by 10am everyone will get back their access to the Guide and get the updated Guide. Most of you didn't get last night's update, and I have a new one ready to go this morning too. But once permissions get back out there (with this latest update) I'm going to stop updating.

I had wanted to keep going with updates until Thursday, but I can't risk this fragile situation. As it is, Steve and I will have about 200 emails to return since last night. And if everyone loses access again I'll just be asking for another 1000 emails.

At present, anyone who bought in the last 48 hours or so have access to the Guide, but everyone who bought before that can't re-download it. But give me two more hours. I will update again shortly.

UPDATE 10am EST Tuesday

The fix is being run right now. I hope to have some good news within the hour.

UPDATE 11am EST Tuesday

Fixed! You can get your downloads now!

Please accept my apologies
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: Loss of Access to Re-Download The Guide and List

I was just searching the forum to post about this issue and found an answer and solution already here. Thanks for proactively addressing the problem (including all the manual work to ensure your customers are well served!) and not hiding from it. Not only do you provide top notch advice and have created the best fantasy hockey community on the net, your acing the customer service / business side of things as well. So many reasons to keep coming back...

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeper View Post
    I was just searching the forum to post about this issue and found an answer and solution already here. Thanks for proactively addressing the problem (including all the manual work to ensure your customers are well served!) and not hiding from it. Not only do you provide top notch advice and have created the best fantasy hockey community on the net, your acing the customer service / business side of things as well. So many reasons to keep coming back...
    Thanks for the kind words.

FYI everyone I updated the original post with the latest info.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

The issue is fixed!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The Dobber Community without their guide:

I...am your father.

PS - I'm afraid this means that this morning's update is the last one. I can't risk updating the product page and losing everyone's access again. So the product page says "last update October 10" and "updates until October 12". But the fact is - the last update is today, the 11th, and that's when updates stop.

I had wanted to do an update on Wednesday and even a bonus one Thursday to finish it off. But this was a disaster and I can't risk it happening again.

We have a solution for future products: a way in which I can update as much as I want without the database expanding to a huge size. So this won't happen again.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    PS - I'm afraid this means that this morning's update is the last one. I can't risk updating the product page and losing everyone's access again. So the product page says "last update October 10" and "updates until October 12". But the fact is - the last update is today, the 11th, and that's when updates stop.

I had wanted to do an update on Wednesday and even a bonus one Thursday to finish it off. But this was a disaster and I can't risk it happening again.

We have a solution for future products: a way in which I can update as much as I want without the database expanding to a huge size. So this won't happen again.
    I bought and downloaded the list at 830am today and it is no longer there, just came back to see if there was an update, i likely just got lost in the shuffle, but i have what i need, just an FYI

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for fixing this Dobber, and sorry for sending an e-mail when I could've checked here, I had only checked the general guide thread

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Irriducibile11 View Post
    Thanks for fixing this Dobber, and sorry for sending an e-mail when I could've checked here, I had only checked the general guide thread
    Hey no problem, I appreciate your patience

It was hard for me to ignore emails for 12 hours, but I didn't want to spend time on 150 individual emails when I could offer a solution in what I felt was just a few hours and then email everyone with the good news.