Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Clayton Keller potential

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Clayton Keller potential

I was able to draft Keller in the later rounds of our draft. I was happy to draft him at that spot I was more looking for players to help this year but figured keller would be worth the wait. Or I could always use him as a trading chip for a rebuilding team. I was just wondering what his potential is so I don't sell him short. Thanks for any feedback
    12 team with 15 keepers weekly H2H categories (G,A,P.P.P,S.O.G,F.W,Hits,Blks,Pims, G.A.A,SV%,Wins and S.O)
    C/W Schenn Lindholm Keller Namestnikov PLD schmaltz
    C Giroux Stamkos Schiefele Kadri Brassard
    W Gaudreau Okposo Mantha Gallagher Rantanen beauviller
    D Byfuglien Josi Keith Jones Gudas Ellis
    G Schnieder ​Hellebuyck
    I.R Shaw
    Prospects (25 games or less)
    Gilles

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Clayton Keller potential

Ceiling Patty Kane
    Floor Tyler Johnson
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    Ceiling Patty Kane
    Floor Tyler Johnson
    Holy, that is quite optimistic, no? I mean Johnson is a 60-point player and Keller is certainly not guaranteed to become at least that. Also, does he really have Kane's ceiling? Not many do.

I would say, he's got a chance to be a 60-point player with some career years of close to 70.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Holy, that is quite optimistic, no? I mean Johnson is a 60-point player and Keller is certainly not guaranteed to become at least that. Also, does he really have Kane's ceiling? Not many do.

I would say, he's got a chance to be a 60-point player with some career years of close to 70.
    I think it's an optimistic projection, but Keller is a special player... he's the best player to come out of the USNTDP since Patty Kane. His hockey sense is off the charts, etc etc etc. He's flown pretty far under the radar this draft year, somehow. I would suspect that if he were a couple inches taller, he'd be way higher up the radar.

Lots of people see Pat Kane in his game. This is the TSN summary of Keller:

Incredible imagination and creativity. Makes things happen offensively and if you're open, he finds you. Elusive and very difficult to check and plays with tremendous poise and confidence.

They even list Kane as a comparable!

That reads a lot like the descriptions of Kane:

There aren‘t many prospects who can combine the elite playmaking ability and shifty skating of Patrick Kane, in any draft. Gifted with the puck on his stick, Kane's patience to control the pace of play and slow the game down make his forays into the offensive zone seem effortless. Innately he knows when to deke a defender, hold the puck until the final instant, drive to the net, and thread a pass to a streaking linemate, Kane can be the driving scoring force for a team. Owning an excellent shot with a quick release, he has elite vision, hockey sense, and creativity that cannot be taught. He can beat opponents in so many different ways that Kane is hard to contain even strength let alone on the power play, and he has a seeming endless supply of deft moves in his arsenal. Though needing to get stronger to handle larger players at the next level, Kane has a skill set that should leave him one of the most productive players in this class.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    I think it's an optimistic projection, but Keller is a special player... he's the best player to come out of the USNTDP since Patty Kane. His hockey sense is off the charts, etc etc etc. He's flown pretty far under the radar this draft year, somehow. I would suspect that if he were a couple inches taller, he'd be way higher up the radar.

Lots of people see Pat Kane in his game. This is the TSN summary of Keller:

Incredible imagination and creativity. Makes things happen offensively and if you're open, he finds you. Elusive and very difficult to check and plays with tremendous poise and confidence.

They even list Kane as a comparable!

That reads a lot like the descriptions of Kane:

There aren‘t many prospects who can combine the elite playmaking ability and shifty skating of Patrick Kane, in any draft. Gifted with the puck on his stick, Kane's patience to control the pace of play and slow the game down make his forays into the offensive zone seem effortless. Innately he knows when to deke a defender, hold the puck until the final instant, drive to the net, and thread a pass to a streaking linemate, Kane can be the driving scoring force for a team. Owning an excellent shot with a quick release, he has elite vision, hockey sense, and creativity that cannot be taught. He can beat opponents in so many different ways that Kane is hard to contain even strength let alone on the power play, and he has a seeming endless supply of deft moves in his arsenal. Though needing to get stronger to handle larger players at the next level, Kane has a skill set that should leave him one of the most productive players in this class.

I own Keller so I'd be thrilled if he is indeed as good but I've read many comparisons to Kane about other players and I always think to myself, yeah right, Kane is a generational talent.

Dobber Sports Star

Does it make you feel any differently if you knew that blurb on Kane was actually about Keller and I just changed the name in there to mess with you?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    Does it make you feel any differently if you knew that blurb on Kane was actually about Keller and I just changed the name in there to mess with you?
    Maybe But I was referring to the general Kane comparable, not so much about the specific traits used to describe Keller's game.

Dobber Sports Stud

Sky-high ceiling - top 10 scorer if everything falls right.

He oozes talent and IQ, not to mention his filthy hands. He's coming in at the right time for the league as his type of game is thriving these days.

IMO, he'll be the steal of the 2016 draft, even as the 7th overall pick.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

That's so good to hear. Looks like he will be worth the wait. I'm glad I drafted him. I think when I drafted him the best available player was filppula. Now I can't wait to watch his development
    12 team with 15 keepers weekly H2H categories (G,A,P.P.P,S.O.G,F.W,Hits,Blks,Pims, G.A.A,SV%,Wins and S.O)
    C/W Schenn Lindholm Keller Namestnikov PLD schmaltz
    C Giroux Stamkos Schiefele Kadri Brassard
    W Gaudreau Okposo Mantha Gallagher Rantanen beauviller
    D Byfuglien Josi Keith Jones Gudas Ellis
    G Schnieder ​Hellebuyck
    I.R Shaw
    Prospects (25 games or less)
    Gilles

Dobber Sports Initiate

I agree 100%, Kane numbers are the ultimate upside for any player
    17th season keeper league with salary cap,16 teams ,max 38 players per team,UFA/RFA system,contracts.
    Cats:fwd(1pt=1pt)top 6 count -Bratt/Hischier/Kakko/Hintz/Meier/W.Johnston/Mercer/Lafrénière/Perfetti/Zibanejad//Mercer/Holtz/Panarin/Kreider/
    D(G=2,A=1.5)top 4 count- A.Fox/Heiskanen/K.Miller/Hutson
    Goalies(save%,W,SO)top 2 count-Shesterkin/Oettinger
    plus 4 other cats: top powerfwd(Trocheck)
    setupman(J.Hughes),sniper(J.Robertson)rookie(M.Bou rque/G.Perreault/Stankoven)

Playoffs Champion 2009, 2010, 2018
    Reg.season Champion 2011-12,2012-13,2016-17,2017-18,2018-19,2022-23

Dobber Sports Pro

I own Keller so I'd be thrilled if he is indeed as good but I've read many comparisons to Kane about other players and I always think to myself, yeah right, Kane is a generational talent.
    The last two guys to be constantly compared to Kane (maybe I am missing some?) were Gaudreau and Marner. Kane, Gaudreau and Marner all had 60+ points in their rookie year (I'm already putting it in the books for Marner, although he technically needs 8 more points in the remaining 17 games. Even if he falls one or two short, the point I am making doesn't change.)

I realize it is very aggressive, but I am looking for 60+ from Keller in his first full season too. And I'm hoping that is next season.

Dobber Sports Icon

...all i need from him this year is to be called up...thats all, nothing more..just one game! i picked him of the FA market, and if he plays i can keep him, if not..back he goes.

Selfishly hoping BU gets beat out this weekend/next week.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree with the Patrick kane comparison. I might put keller a notch below that comparison, but it's not much. obviously, for someone to turn into Patrick kane, everything has to come together perfectly, but if we're projecting upsides, then yes, keller's is very similar to kane, or maybe just a notch below. i'd have marner as an exact kane comparison, with keller not far behind. those two definitely have the talent to be top consistent top 10 scorers in the league when they hit their prime.
    the poster who used gaudreau as an example of kane comparisons was right-on. gaudreau has kane-like talent, and marner and keller have the same kind of talent.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

With Dvorak and Strome also coming up as Centers, does Keller move to the wing? I know he can play both C and W, but I imagine that would have an impact on his upside projection.

Does anyone know what has been his main position at BU? I had a quick look on the Google but couldn't find any info.
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports All-Star

I'll go with a Mitch Marner comparison but don't think he will be as good in his rookie year. He will be good soon after though IMO.