Thread: Need to figure out my 3 keepers: please help (REP)

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Need to figure out my 3 keepers: please help (REP)

Hey all, I just finished my season and claimed the championship for the first time in my 12-year stint in this league (12 teams). I would always finish in the bottom and I almost didn't play this year as I figured my team was cursed; thank god my buddy convinced me to join.

It's a limited keeper (keep 4 players) where you carry a franchise player for 3 years and you get to keep 3 other players for 1 year and then release them.

My franchise player is N. Arenado (2 years left with him)

I'm debating which 3 to keep for next year from the following list (standard roto cats):

- J. Donaldson (100% keeping unless convinced not to)
    - C. Seager (99% keeping unless convinced not to)

- A. Duvall (his rookie season was phenomenal; was it a 1-year thing?)
    - H. Ramirez (getting older but had a solid 2nd half)
    - J. Ramirez - (Indians) (good multi-cat player this year, but like Duvall, was it a 1-year thing?)

- C. Kluber (solid pitching but had a rough 1st half, was considering him as my 3rd and final keeper)
    - R. Porcello (Cy Young candidate, but not sure he can repeat; Kluber might be a better and safer option?)
    - R. Osuna (not a fan of keeping a closer, even if he is one of the best young ones, but he is in the mix nonetheless)

So what is your take? Any feedback is most appreciated so thanks in advance. Will REP as soon as I can!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Need to figure out my 3 keepers: please help (REP)

Arenado, JD, Seager and Kluber for me. The latter may have had a rough start but was still in Cy Young contention. I'm not in any keeper MLB leagues but I would never keep a closer. Ever.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I'm not in any keeper MLB leagues but I would never keep a closer. Ever.
    Hehe I get it now HR! When Gagné ('04), Rivera ('05) and Kimbrel ('11) where at the top of their games, I had kept them and they ended up burning me the following year (except Kimbrel who had a decent year but not as good as the previous). Since 2011, I have not kept a closer and I doubt I will ever again
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Arenado, JD, Seager and Kluber for me. The latter may have had a rough start but was still in Cy Young contention. I'm not in any keeper MLB leagues but I would never keep a closer. Ever.
    I'm with HR. Those seem to be the three that makes the most sense. Unfortunate that you have two 3B, but when they're Donaldson and Arenado, I think you'll manage.

As a note, I ended up keeping Chapman last year in a 12 team/keep 6. I'm not against keeping a closer if the situation calls for it, but if you can keep a different position of the same talent, then I agree, I would go against the closer basically every time.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

- J. Donaldson (100% keeping unless convinced not to) - I am not going to even try convincing you not to keep him.. must keep.
    - C. Seager (99% keeping unless convinced not to) - Well there is 1% window to try and convince you to not keep him.... but I am pulling the blinds... Keep him!!

- A. Duvall (his rookie season was phenomenal; was it a 1-year thing?) I would keep him... with the concern that it might be a 1-year thing... but I think he is better than that... however... I would say you have to keep at least one SP, so if you were allowed to keep 5 this would be him.
    - H. Ramirez (getting older but had a solid 2nd half) - Old and easy to re-draft
    - J. Ramirez - (Indians) (good multi-cat player this year, but like Duvall, was it a 1-year thing?) The concern of a 1-year thing will allow him to slip in re-draft.

- C. Kluber (solid pitching but had a rough 1st half, was considering him as my 3rd and final keeper) I agree with comment below that he is the safer option, but when you can only keep 1 you got to keep the guy that could be lights out for you....
    - R. Porcello (Cy Young candidate, but not sure he can repeat; Kluber might be a better and safer option?) And I think Porcello could be lights out for you again... So I would swing for the fences and hope he has another great year... or trade him in off-season for someone that is in the elite level but didn't have as good of year as Porcello this year...
    - R. Osuna (not a fan of keeping a closer, even if he is one of the best young ones, but he is in the mix nonetheless) Do not keep a closer. I had 3 great closers to start the year this year.... and only Melancon was left standing at the end of the year... Rosenthal and Street killed me...

Dobber Sports Giant

Thanks for the solid and quick feedback guys. I will rep EB and PH as soon as I can. HR, no-rep-4-u (LOL jk, already sent what I had left).

Thanks again!

Minors: