Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Number one goalie in Vancouver

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Number one goalie in Vancouver

Who will be in net the most next season in Vancouver, Markstrom or Miller ?
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Number one goalie in Vancouver

October - December = Miller
    February - April = Markstrom
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    October - December = Miller
    February - April = Markstrom
    I think it might even be sooner than December that we see the switch to Markstrom, but I agree with the premise.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Veteran

They will be transitioning Markstrom into the starting role over the course of the season. The pace at which it happens depends on his success.

Don't listen to what the GMs have to say about Miller being their guy. Besides, Miller plays better when he is rested so Markstrom will be getting starts all year, and more frequently as the season wears on.

I have a feeling it will be 50/50 over the year.

Dobber Sports Ace

50/50 total, with Miller heavier in the first half and Markstrom heavier in the 2nd half

The Great One

Wasn't there a quote from Bening stating Miller will be their number 1? Agree though by the turn of the ear that could very well be a time share as they slide it over to Markstrom
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Genius

Unless the Canucks are in the playoffs then Miller isn't on the team after the trade deadline. The first part of the year they will be playing (and showcasing) Miller. The second part of the year they will be letting the kids (not just the goalies) play. Markstrom starts a new 3 year deal after this season finishes. Demko passed on his final year of college to sign with the Canucks and he is under contract for 3 seasons. The Canucks also have Richard Bachman under contract this season and extended him for the 2017-18 season (two-way deal that pays him $650,000 in the NHL and $450,000 in the AHL). Miller is a place holder for the moment and will need to get quality minutes to start the season if the Canucks have any hope of moving him before he walks away at the end of the year.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Unless the Canucks are in the playoffs then Miller isn't on the team after the trade deadline.
    Except there are no playoff contenders that need an average goalie with a big contract (even pro-rated at the deadline). Management has made it clear it's Millers net to start, and I expect he'll get the vast majority for quite some time. However, once Miller gets injured (very likely), Markstrom runs with nearly every start. Also, once the playoffs are completely out of sight, I would imagine a more even split.

Verdict:

Miller 45 starts
    Markstrom 35
    Bachman 2

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Hoochie Coochie Man View Post
    Except there are no playoff contenders that need an average goalie with a big contract (even pro-rated at the deadline). Management has made it clear it's Millers net to start, and I expect he'll get the vast majority for quite some time. However, once Miller gets injured (very likely), Markstrom runs with nearly every start. Also, once the playoffs are completely out of sight, I would imagine a more even split.
    Injuries happen and entire seasons can be derailed by lack of even average NHL goaltending.

The Great One

Can't Miller be exposed at the expansion draft? I know there were rules about being signed through next year but can't remember them

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Wasn't there a quote from Bening stating Miller will be their number 1? Agree though by the turn of the ear that could very well be a time share as they slide it over to Markstrom
    Yes there was.

I do think they they are giving Miller the ball until he drops it. If we follow tendencies, then it should happen as people are saying in this post. Howeverm even if this is the most likely scenario, Miller could easily hold the fort for the full year.

Yeah, it would be good to know the exact rules of expansion because this could also be a way to make (or try to make) him more appealing.

Dobber Sports Monster

I feel like given it's his last year in the contract, they won't be as dedicated to Miller as in past years. They're trying to win this year, and they'll turn to Markstrom fast if they have to. No point wasting a year based on loyalty to a pending UFA. Last year was a farce as they kept going to Miller despite Markstrom outperforming him. I'm not sure that's going to continue.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Genius

At the start of the year, I think they give Miller the starting job. But after that, like starting in December, the Canucks will shift to Markstrom and he'll eventually become the starter by the end of the year. Because of Markstrom's new extension and Miller's expiring contract, the Canucks won't be as attached to Miller's success or how many games he starts. They'd rather be giving Markstrom some game-time since he'll be their future goalie

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Regarding expansion, impending UFAs can be exposed and selected, but there should be better options available than Miller. The only drawback of selecting upcoming UFAs would be a very short window to negotiate before Vegas would lose their rights.

The Great One

I know there is a rule that they can only select s many with expiring contracts... There probably will be though but I am thinking more from the Canucks side that the Vegas side