Thread: 5th and 24th pick for 13th and 16th

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default 5th and 24th pick for 13th and 16th

i've been offered 13th and 16th overall pick for my 5th and 24th overall which is basically my 1st and 2nd for his. Should i do the trade? suggestions? opinions?
    Forwards- Kane, Vorachek, Hornqvist, Hoffman, Rakell, Draisaitl, T.Johnson, Cammalleri, Schwartz
    Defence- Byfuglien, Klingberg, Carlson
    Goalies- Dubnyk, Mason, Hellebuyck

Weekly H2H- 14 Teams

Forward Stats- G, A, P, PPP, PIM, SOG, HITS
    Goalie Stats- Wins, GAA, Save%, Shutouts

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: 5th and 24th pick for 13th and 16th

1) Love your avatar
    2) Need wayyyyyyyy more info here: are the pics for prospects? If so, which ones (this year's batch, other years combined, are NHLers available, ...)?
    3) Are you able to list your team to see what your needs may be?
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    1) Love your avatar
    2) Need wayyyyyyyy more info here: are the pics for prospects? If so, which ones (this year's batch, other years combined, are NHLers available, ...)?
    3) Are you able to list your team to see what your needs may be?
    lol tnx, the picks are for a 14 team one year h2h league. the categories are in my signature
    Forwards- Kane, Vorachek, Hornqvist, Hoffman, Rakell, Draisaitl, T.Johnson, Cammalleri, Schwartz

Weekly H2H- 14 Teams

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Decline. Keep the 5th.
    Gaussian distribution (fancy stat talk) suggests that the more extreme picks have more value.

As an example, try this.
    Add the 5th & 24th NHL scorers from the past season or two or three... try a couple cases.
    Add the 13th & 16th NHL scorers from the past season or two or three..

Compare.
    5th/24th will (over a large enough sample size) shake out as the higher sum of two.

In standard one-year snaking drafts, a team should (should!) want as high a draft pick as possible.
    I always laugh when somebody makes any lament over having the #1 or #2 pick ("oh, but what if I miss the goalie run"... psh).

Now... this said... there is some "value added" to being just-off-the-turn.
    You can basically watchdog the turn team at 14/15.
    If he has 0C/2LW/0RW/3D/2G later in draft, you can pretty well assure yourself that if you are considering between a RW & D... you better take the RW first... because he needs one.
    You could also have a better likelihood of landing a tandem-goalie pair like Fleury/Murray with two consecutive near-turn picks... or Niemi/Lehtonen later in draft.
    But that's about the only advantage I see there.

5/24 for this guy.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Decline. Keep the 5th.
    Gaussian distribution (fancy stat talk) suggests that the more extreme picks have more value.

As an example, try this.
    Add the 5th & 24th NHL scorers from the past season or two or three... try a couple cases.

Compare.
    5th/24th will (over a large enough sample size) shake out as the higher sum of two.

In standard one-year snaking drafts, a team should (should!) want as high a draft pick as possible.
    I always laugh when somebody makes any lament over having the #1 or #2 pick ("oh, but what if I miss the goalie run"... psh).

If he has 0C/2LW/0RW/3D/2G later in draft, you can pretty well assure yourself that if you are considering between a RW & D... you better take the C first... because he needs one.
    You could also have a better likelihood of landing a tandem-goalie pair like Fleury/Murray with two consecutive near-turn picks... or Niemi/Lehtonen later in draft.

5/24 for this guy.
    ^ Nerd

But ya, what he said
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The Great One

If only fantasy leagues needed paid cap and pick advisers.. P7 would have a full time job!
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Decline. Keep the 5th.

As an example, try this.

Compare.

If he has 0C/2LW/0RW/3D/2G later in draft, you can pretty well assure yourself that if you are considering between a RW & D... you better take the RW first... because he needs one.

5/24 for this guy.
    I'm only trading the 1st and 2nd round picks tho so if i were to trade for the 13th and 16th i would draft again at 33rd pick and i wont be going almost back to back after the first 2 rounds. The reason I'm considering this is so i can almost assure myself a stud forward and grab either karlsson or burns with the second pick. The forwards wont be ovi crosby kane or benn but someone like giroux perry or malkin. Thoughts?

Weekly H2H- 14 Teams

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp999 View Post
    I'm only trading the 1st and 2nd round picks tho so if i were to trade for the 13th and 16th i would draft again at 33rd pick and i wont be going almost back to back after the first 2 rounds. The reason I'm considering this is so i can almost assure myself a stud forward and grab either karlsson or burns with the second pick. The forwards wont be ovi crosby kane or benn but someone like giroux perry or malkin. Thoughts?
    I understand.
    5th/24th > 13th/16th.

I'll do the example for you, because it doesn't sound like you've tried it out.
    NHL #5 scorer last year: 82pts
    NHL #24 scorer last year: 64pts
    TOT: 148pts

NHL #13 scorer last year: 74pts
    NHL #16 scorer last year: 70pts
    TOT: 144pts

It's going to be like this for most years.

No offense, but if you have positional allocations (#F/#D) there is ZERO chance Karlsson slides to #13 if your leaguemates have a shred of keenness for this kind of league format.
    By relative difference, Karlsson should probably be the 3rd skater off the board in most straight-points positional leagues: Crosby, McDavid, Karlsson.
    He may not even make it to you at #5.

[Burns... he might be there at 13/16...]

If you want an apples-to-apples... force yourself to consider what you will LIKELY have a chance to draft at each, and consider 1F+1D for both cases:
    Karlsson (78pts @ #5) + Forsberg (65pts @ #24)
    vs.
    Burns (65pts @ #13) + Kopitar (73pt F @ #16)

143 vs. 138

Dobber Sports Sophomore

understood, tnx man appreciate it

Weekly H2H- 14 Teams