Thread: Dobber's three solid goalie theory

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Question Dobber's three solid goalie theory

After reading the rambling in which Dobber detailed his first draft of the year, he mentioned that keeping three solid goalies is a good idea. I am about to draft in a medium-depth league (see signature) and am going in with mandated keepers at each skater position and two wild cards:

Stamkos, Wheeler, Gaudreau, Carlson, Price and Holtby.

All keepers have been declared so I have an idea of what will be available to me in net. Is the strategy really to pluck a third very good goalie from the pile or to maybe focus on 2 non-starting goalies (possibly including Hellebuyck) later in the draft and focus on skaters to start?

Goalies left unkept: Jones, Gibson, Talbot, Rask, Schneider, Mason, Dubnyk, Andersen & Anderson, others.

Top-end skaters left unkept:
    C: Johansen, Thornton (and Giroux, Couture but they don't net the peripherals)
    L: Lucic, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Ladd, Pacioretty, Schenn
    R: Backes, Oshie
    D: Weber, Giordano, Klingberg, Muzzin, Hamilton, Byfuglien, OEL

I draft 7th and 10th (snake).

Thanks for your input.
    Always a Bridesmaid
    C MacK, Kopitar, Krejci
    L Hall, Beauvillier, Robertson
    R Rust (L), Carter (C/L)
    D Theodore, Carlson, Josi, Reilly (Bos)
    G Shesterkin, Nedeljkovic, Campbell, Greiss

1Y H2H [G, A, +-, PPP, SOG, H], [W, SV%, GAA, SO]

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Dobber's three solid goalie theory

It's less necessary with the 2 guys you have, and depending on what your league setup is, and what your other GMs value.
    I would look for someone in the 3rd tier, like Talbot, Andersen, Anderson, Smith etc. Then you can stock up on position players at the start.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    It's less necessary with the 2 guys you have, and depending on what your league setup is, and what your other GMs value.
    I would look for someone in the 3rd tier, like Talbot, Andersen, Anderson, Smith etc. Then you can stock up on position players at the start.
    Exactly my thinking. The one add I would have to that is searching for the thread on here about the teams that play the most on off-nights, when there are only a few games across the NHL. Getting one of those goalies (Elliot & Cgy have 24) will maximize your 3rd goalie and just dominate those cats all season.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I agree. You have the best pairing possible so wait it out for your 3rd G and load up on skaters for the first few rounds at least.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

I figure all but one GM (who loves running with a tier 2 goalie, a lesser goalie and then a stable of back-ups on really good teams) will rush to fill their two G roster spots, meaning all of Jones, Talbot, Gibson, Rask, Schneider, Mason and Dubnyk should probably go in the first few rounds. That leaves exactly the tier you're speaking of. It's possible Murray will still be around...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    ...dominate those cats all season.
    I should point out that it's not a H2H league, but a year-long points-based league if it wasn't clear.
    Always a Bridesmaid
    C MacK, Kopitar, Krejci
    R Rust (L), Carter (C/L)

Dobber Sports Sage

For year long points league you have to look at your league scoring. Does your goalies get higher fantasy points then your forwards? Then get that 3rd good goalie!

Jones really doesn't mesh well with your 2 goalies but he will probably be gone by the 7th pick. The best team is Anaheim and look Gibson is there.

Seems Winnipeg is tied for 2nd least conflicts so Helly could be a nice choice then you can go skater heavy off the bat. But I would look into which would net you the most points
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Do your goalies get higher fantasy points then your forwards? Then get that 3rd good goalie!
    There are game caps by position so I can only start 164 goalie games. Drafting a third workhorse will mean some games will be left unplayed (because KNOCK ON WOOD Carey Price is playing a full season) while going the Hellebuyck route might mesh better under the game cap.
    Always a Bridesmaid
    C MacK, Kopitar, Krejci
    R Rust (L), Carter (C/L)

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Starstruck View Post
    There are game caps by position so I can only start 164 goalie games. Drafting a third workhorse will mean some games will be left unplayed (because KNOCK ON WOOD Carey Price is playing a full season) while going the Hellebuyck route might mesh better under the game cap.
    Not really...
    Price and Holtby will start say 62 and 64 games respectively 164-62-64 = 38 Okay that may not seem like a lot Gibson is expected to also start around 60. BUT 21 of those are going to be conflict nights where all 3 of your goalies play and can only slot 2.

60-21 = 39.. Which is about what you needed covered.
    Granted some conflict nights a backup might be playing that night. But then that's an extra game that you made up where your goalie is injured for week or you want to sit him for a night where it's a bad match up
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24