Default Re: [Rumor] Artemi Panarin seeking roughly $6M x 6yrs in new deal

Risk reward contract for sure
    you sign him for that and he goes off offensively again you are laughing

he slides back to a 40-50 point players... you overpaid and are crying

Id wait atleast 20 games into the season until i sign his extension

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ztking View Post
    Kane. Effect. Just like Kunitz/Cheechoo and others before them. Show me production away from a top 5 talent and I'm interested. I honestly think any middle six player could have put up 65pts with Kane on that line this year. Have a hard time offering both term and that hit. Move him or put him on another line, and when he puts up 50pts, sign him for 6x4.5mil
    Have you watched him play? He definitely benefits from playing with Kane, but he is wildly talented. 6x6 is more than reasonable for his skill set and production levels.

Why do you need him to produce without Kane when he'll be playing with Kane? They compliment each other greatly.

I think it's likely he steps back into the 68-72 point range this year, but still that's very worthy of 6 million.

Bolded: Would you sacrifice your team's ability to score goals in order to get a better contract? That's really Chicago's only potent scoring line, they're not splitting him and Kane up unless they absolutely have to.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Joe Davola View Post
    Have you watched him play? He definitely benefits from playing with Kane, but he is wildly talented. 6x6 is more than reasonable for his skill set and production levels.

Why do you need him to produce without Kane when he'll be playing with Kane? They compliment each other greatly.

I think it's likely he steps back into the 68-72 point range this year, but still that's very worthy of 6 million.

Bolded: Would you sacrifice your team's ability to score goals in order to get a better contract? That's really Chicago's only potent scoring line, they're not splitting him and Kane up unless they absolutely have to.
    They went on a bit of a slump last yr that line (considering how well they were doing), and they split them up for a game or two if I remember correctly. I think Kane went up to Toews line, and did worse. Then went back together and lit it up again.

This is all off memory tho, I don’t know where I could find a stat on that.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Banned

I think that would be a terrible move personally. One season doesn't get you $36 million

Dobber Sports Padawan

Hossa has to go to afford breadman
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Pro

If Hawks don't sign Panarin for approximately $6 x 6 this year, then he will be playing somewhere else in 2017-18 for $7.5+ while the Hawks carry a couple mil in cap overages for his 2016-17 production.

If I'm wrong, I'll own it. But I don't think I will be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    Hossa has to go to afford breadman
    In what scenario do you think they can move Hossa?

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Sheik View Post
    I think that would be a terrible move personally. One season doesn't get you $36 million
    How many players in the last few years have scored 75+ points in their first season with only one year remaining on their deal?

It is a pretty unique circumstance, so it is difficult to view it through the lens of what is normal.

Just curious. If he scores the exact same 77 points next season, how much do you think he signs for as a free agent?

Dobber Sports Sage

Hossa is going nowhere due to the ridiculous recapture clause.

I hope the Hawks split up Panarin and Kane in order to spread out their offense. I'd love to see Panarin with Toews. Kane has proven that he can carry a line as long as he is bumslaying. But Toews needs help and Hossa and Panik are not cuttiing it.

I would love lines such as:
    Toews, Panarin, Schmaltz
    Anisimov, Kane, Motte
    Kruger, Hossa, Desjardins

That would give the Hawks 2 scoring lines and an elite shutdown line. Sure, the production of either of the scoring lines would not be as great as the 2nd line for the Hawks last year but the sum of both scoring lines would exceed last year's totals. The Hawks were a 1 line team last year. Plus, they need to get more out of their 10.5 M Toews. And putting Schmaltz with Panarin would give him another playmaker to set him up while Kane would get the sniping Motte.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Hossa is going nowhere due to the ridiculous recapture clause.
    I don't think the recapture clause is the reason he is unmovable. If he is traded the Hawks will still be the ones on the hook for his recapture penalty if he retires (or at least the vast majority of it). Same situation as Canucks w/ Luongo.

The problems are:
    1) Finding someone who wants (or more accurately, "is willing to take") Hossa at his cap hit
    and 2) Getting Hossa to agree to waiving his full no trade / no move clause.

The only teams willing to take that cap hit on would be bottom feeders, and why would Hossa want to play out the rest of his career on a crap team?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I remember another mid-20s Russian that was once viewed as "all that".
    Teams gotta be careful shelling out... some players are really good fits on a line.
    It doesn't necessarily mean they can be a dynamic player off that line.
    http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/stats...lexander-semin
    Semin? The only thing he has in common with Semin is the fact he's Russian. And frankly if they had given Semin a big contract right after his breakout year in 2006-2007 they would have gotten a decent deal because his next 6 years were pretty productive even if there were a few disappointments in there. Semin;s issues were never a secret, either, and I don;t hear any of the same criticism of Panarin.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    How many players in the last few years have scored 75+ points in their first season with only one year remaining on their deal?

It is a pretty unique circumstance, so it is difficult to view it through the lens of what is normal.

Just curious. If he scores the exact same 77 points next season, how much do you think he signs for as a free agent?
    That's different, then he'd have two seasons.

Dobber Sports Genius

But it's a dangerous game to play, to wait for that second season. Why pay through the nose later, when you can seal the deal at a more comfortable cap hit now? Ultimately it's up to the GM to determine if the player is a flash in the pan and a contract can wait, or if the guy is the real deal, and he should lock him up now. I'd lock Panarin up, from what I've seen of him.

Dobber Sports Pro

You missed my point. I am not asking if he would be worth 6 x 6 after two 77 point seasons. I am asking you HOW MUCH do you think he signs for as a free agent if he scores 77 points next season? There is no way the Hawks could keep him for 6 x 6 at that point.

The entire point of the Hawks paying 6 x 6 for him now is that they believe he WILL score the way he did last year and they want to get a bargain contract by paying earlier. Don't you think he would get an offer of $7.5mil + from someone if he hit the open market after consecutive 77 point seasons?

Obviously you do not pay him 6 x 6 after one season if you don't believe he is 100% capable of playing at that high level going forward. Signing him for that much after one season is a high risk high reward move. People who believe he will continue to be a 70+ point player would give him 6 x 6 and focus on the reward, while people who believe he won't would not give him 6 x 6 because they focus on the risk. Neither approach is inherently wrong, but ultimately one will be proved right by the test of time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    But it's a dangerous game to play, to wait for that second season. Why pay through the nose later, when you can seal the deal at a more comfortable cap hit now? Ultimately it's up to the GM to determine if the player is a flash in the pan and a contract can wait, or if the guy is the real deal, and he should lock him up now. I'd lock Panarin up, from what I've seen of him.
    Precisely. Especially because in the Hawks' situation they can't afford to pay more later. It is either seal him up now for 6 x 6 or take a serious gamble that he walks later for more money. Only way I take that chance if I am Bowman is if I don't think he is legit.

Dobber Sports Pro

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    Because it sets a bad precedent for other players. Owners won't want this at all.