Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: [Rumor] Artemi Panarin seeking roughly $6M x 6yrs in new deal

Dobber Sports Deity

Default [Rumor] Artemi Panarin seeking roughly $6M x 6yrs in new deal

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2016...ands-six-years

Chicago Blackhawks forward Artemi Panarin is asking for a six-year deal worth “more than” $6 million annually in contract talks, according to the Chicago Tribune’s Chris Kuc. Panarin, an upcoming restricted free agent in the summer of 2017, will be looking at a monster raise as part of his second contract in the NHL.

These terms are big for the reigning Calder Trophy winner, but they’re also pretty reasonable considering his talent level and resume. Panarin was one of the best scorers in the NHL last season and turns 25 in late October. He’s going to command a big contract as an RFA, so starting at six years and a cap hit around $6 million actually isn’t that bad.

GM Stan Bowman was asked questions about the negotiations with Panarin’s camp on Tuesday but declined to offer any details. The forward’s agent, Tom Lynn, said last week that talks have already started.

“I don’t think it’s a productive thing to kind of negotiate through the media,” Bowman said. “Obviously, Artemi is a big part of our team. We’re excited for the season he had. We’re looking forward to him building on that as well. And then the negotiations will be what they are between his agent and myself. I respect Tom, he’s a very knowledgeable guy and I know Artemi put a lot of faith in him. Tom and I will work to get something done.”

This is going to be a delicate game for Bowman and the Blackhawks to play. Signing Panarin to a six-year deal worth a bit more than $36 million would likely be a smart investment, but it’s not that simple for a team that’s already got so many other commitments. The risk, of course, is that the team waits and he raises his stock even higher, forcing the Hawks into a corner when he’s asking for Tarasenko money instead of Forsberg/MacKinnon/Saad money.

On the flip side, the Hawks would probably LOVE to hammer out some kind of bridge deal that avoids a lengthy commitment. Let’s just get this out of the way, though: it’s not happening. Panarin is going to pursue a long-term deal and it’s hard to imagine the 25-year-old coming off a ridiculously good rookie season won’t get it. So the Hawks will have to figure out how to make this work, and frankly, at least he’s not asking for the max term of eight years. The Hawks already have enough deals that long on the books.

But there’s still a lot of uncertainty surrounding the Hawks’ situation for the 2017-18 season. First, there’s the expansion draft, which will poach a player from the team to join the new Las Vegas franchise. Second, there’s the salary cap, which will probably go up but who knows by how much. And finally, there’s the cap overage, which might be millions if Panarin hits all his bonuses again. So you’re talking several million in cap space that the Hawks have no idea whether they’ll be able to use yet depending on those factors, which makes it harder to ink another huge extension.

Bowman maintains his confidence that a deal will get done, although we heard similar sentiments in the months leading up to Brandon Saad’s trade to Columbus. We’re certainly not at that point yet, but this isn’t a dissimilar situation, and you have to imagine the Hawks are going to be determined to do it differently. Panarin is too good a talent for this team to let go without a plan to replace him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Default Re: [Rumor] Artemi Panarin seeking roughly $6M x 6yrs in new deal

lmao

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Is a Panarin for Trouba deal with other parts involved a deal in the making?

Trouba and _______ for Panarin and Kempny?

Chicago is going to be in tough if they sign him for that much... maybe that means Hossa would be on his way out.

Dobber Sports Jedi

6yrs, 6m - for 70+pts per year... sign him before he hits 80 and asks for 7.5+
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

I mean if you don't ask you don't get, but he'd have to put up the same numbers of better this year to even get a consideration on this type of deal.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    I mean if you don't ask you don't get, but he'd have to put up the same numbers of better this year to even get a consideration on this type of deal.
    How? Everyone says Gaudreau deserves the $8+ he's asking for, if Panarin goes out and does the same thing he just did, he'll have a more productive first 2 seasons than Gaudreau.

This is a completely reasonable ask based on comparables, and a low ball if he repeats what he just did.

Dobber Sports Pro

Stan Bowman should burst right into Panarin's house right now with a contract for $6.1M x 6 years immediately
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Non-story.
    The Hawks have no reason to give him this money right now.
    They are in win-win territory.
    If he puts up 70+pts again... great, big steal for them for the past two years... and they may only have to give him $7m.
    Or... he doesn't have the magic, goes for only 50pts... and then they can offer him $4m.

$6m for a second fiddle... I like Artemi, but no thank you.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    How? Everyone says Gaudreau deserves the $8+ he's asking for, if Panarin goes out and does the same thing he just did, he'll have a more productive first 2 seasons than Gaudreau.

This is a completely reasonable ask based on comparables, and a low ball if he repeats what he just did.
    I don't think everyone thinks Gaudreau deserves that money otherwise Calgary would have signed him to that by now, no?

The hesitation to me is the same you see with Gaudreau, it's a lot of money and a lot of years to give to a player who's only played a short amount of time.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Ace

Kane. Effect. Just like Kunitz/Cheechoo and others before them. Show me production away from a top 5 talent and I'm interested. I honestly think any middle six player could have put up 65pts with Kane on that line this year. Have a hard time offering both term and that hit. Move him or put him on another line, and when he puts up 50pts, sign him for 6x4.5mil
    Main Squad: H2H Multicat Points
    10 Team 16 Keepers

G:3 A:2 +/-:1 PPP:0.5 PIM:0.25 Shot:0.2 Hit:0.2 Block:0.2
    W:3 SV:0.2 GA:-1 SO:3

3C 3LW 3RW 5D 2G 5 BENCH 2IR

C: Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Getzlaf, Barkov
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Landeskog, E. Kane
    RW: Kessel, Perry, Hudler, Atkinson
    D: Letang, Carlson, Yandle, Rielly, Leddy
    G: Schneider, Rask, Anderson

Prospects (5)
    Vasilevski Burakovsky Bjorkstrand Dvorak Chychrun

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    I don't think everyone thinks Gaudreau deserves that money otherwise Calgary would have signed him to that by now, no?

The hesitation to me is the same you see with Gaudreau, it's a lot of money and a lot of years to give to a player who's only played a short amount of time.
    By everyone I mean everyone on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ztking View Post
    Kane. Effect. Just like Kunitz/Cheechoo and others before them. Show me production away from a top 5 talent and I'm interested. I honestly think any middle six player could have put up 65pts with Kane on that line this year. Have a hard time offering both term and that hit. Move him or put him on another line, and when he puts up 50pts, sign him for 6x4.5mil
    This is just silly. Lots of players have had the opportunity to try and do that and just haven't. It's not a coincidence Kane's career year came playing with Panarin. It wasn't Panarin riding coattails, it was teammates feeding off each other. Also, comparing Cheechoo and Kunitz is equally ridiculous. So there's that.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Agreed. This is why Gaudreau is getting 8 million or more.

Dobber Sports Ace

This is just silly. Lots of players have had the opportunity to try and do that and just haven't. It's not a coincidence Kane's career year came playing with Panarin. It wasn't Panarin riding coattails, it was teammates feeding off each other. Also, comparing Cheechoo and Kunitz is equally ridiculous. So there's that.
    I just wanna see him apart/prove last season wasn't a fluke. He's obviously talented by I don't consider him a ppg player. Just saying that I wouldn't want to pay him a ton of money for one season of playing with a premiere talent in the league. And was more so using Cheechoo and Kunitz to show what playing with elite talent can do. I'm interested to see how he does this year, but I'm very uneasy talking over 6mil long term at this point
    Main Squad: H2H Multicat Points
    10 Team 16 Keepers

G:3 A:2 +/-:1 PPP:0.5 PIM:0.25 Shot:0.2 Hit:0.2 Block:0.2
    W:3 SV:0.2 GA:-1 SO:3

3C 3LW 3RW 5D 2G 5 BENCH 2IR

C: Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Getzlaf, Barkov
    LW: Ovechkin, Benn, Landeskog, E. Kane
    RW: Kessel, Perry, Hudler, Atkinson
    D: Letang, Carlson, Yandle, Rielly, Leddy
    G: Schneider, Rask, Anderson

Prospects (5)
    Vasilevski Burakovsky Bjorkstrand Dvorak Chychrun

Dobber Sports Pro

Yeah, I agree. Just bad analysis there. That's basically saying "I assume that Kane would have gotten X number of points regardless of who he played with, and someone else on the ice probably could have gotten some points as a result". There is NO WAY that Kane was putting up 106 points last year with any other Hawks player in Panarin's place. Not even Toews. If you don't believe me, watch a Kane/Panarin 2016 highlight video so that you can understand the level of filthiness involved in their chemistry last year.

This has their first 50 goals, at least.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4LDcg_ES7w
    Last edited by BreadManPanarin; September 27, 2016 at 5:15 PM. Reason: wrong link