Thread: Ristolainen Upside

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Ristolainen Upside

Is this guy a future top 10-15 dman? I'm thinking of making a big play for him in the league in my signature. Something like Maata, E. Kane and maybe a pick if I have to. Thoughts?
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

The Great One

Default Re: Ristolainen Upside

If you look for defensemen since 1990-91 who, like Ristolainen, had a season of 40+ points and 200+ SOG by age 21, you get four other players - Erik Karlsson, Dion Phaneuf, Alexei Zhitnik, Roman Hamrlik. The good news is all four had at least 52 points in a single season, with three of the four tallying 60+ at least once.

The bad news is I don't think he's cut from the Karlsson cloth, and after their initial success the other three ended up being leaned upon more for their defense than for scoring from the blueline. I see that Risto's fate as well.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Stud

How would you compare his upside to a guy like Maatta?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Risto should be a lock @ 40 P with very solid multi cat scoring to go with it. He has a floor of 40P and ceiling @ 60P ......but that would take the team having some good luck and the power play clicking at a really solid rate. There is some youth to continue getting better in Buffalo so you would expect his 55-60P mark to be a year or two away. There is no one pushing for his spot as #1 D in Buffalo and he should get most power play time of the guys they have now.

I would place him a very solid tier above Maatta at the least!

If this is your team in the signature, then his development should match that of your top 3 forwards Eichel, Mackinon, McDavid perfectly (and Huberdeau).
    10 Team Yahoo Roto Keeper:Keep 6 each year
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 5BN

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SO

Keepers in Bold:

RW: Kucherov
    G: Helly

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by SergeP View Post
    How would you compare his upside to a guy like Maatta?
    In fantasy, leaps and bounds above Maatta
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/