Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PP Quarterback for Edmonton?

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: PP Quarterback for Edmonton?

I'm thinking they will try to give Larsson some opportunities to run away with it (he is RH and perfect for the one-T with McDavid to his right) and prove he was worth Hall at first... maybe split with Sekera. But at the end of the day they won't have a D QBing the PP (how's that for a shorter way to say something?). McDavid will have the puck on his stick as much as Karlsson has it on his stick when OTT is on the PP.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Monster

Erik Karlsson when he gets traded to Edmonton

I say Sekera or Klefbom.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolo View Post
    True enough. My thinking though is that they'll cave to media/casual fan pressure to show Larsson can produce the flashy stats. Ownership mainly cares about selling tickets and merch, after all. Although a return to the playoffs makes them the most money. If Larsson comes in and posts a 25 point season, regardless of how good his defensive stats are, Chiarelli will get roasted in the media for trading Hall. Clearly media perception isn't the best measure of success, but it definitely has a sizeable impact.
    If the Oilers don't improve then if course the fans/media will yap but if the Oilers turn a corner and compete for a playoff spot, who cares how many points he scores.

Winning makes everything better; even trading Taylor Hall.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by JHouly View Post
    Trouba
    I WISH!!! But ya probably Kelfbom.
    2015-16-17, 23 Champion
    12Team Roto Keeper (5keepers) Weekly lineups
    Player: G, A,+/-, PPG, PPA, SOG = 2pts
    Player: +/-, Blocked Shots = 1pt
    Goalie: GGP, GAA, SPct, W, SO = 1pt
    Lineup: 3C, 4W, 4D 2G, 6Farm/Prospect Players

C: C.McDavid, T.Thompson
    W: K.Kaprizov, ,
    D: A. Fox,
    G: I.Shesterkin,

Farm/Prospects free carry: C: M. Savoie W:
    D: L. Hutson G: D. Levi

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If the Oilers don't improve then if course the fans/media will yap but if the Oilers turn a corner and compete for a playoff spot, who cares how many points he scores.

Winning makes everything better; even trading Taylor Hall.
    Yep, it's the standings that count. People will love this trade if they start winning and they'll hate it if they continue to lose, rightly or wrongly. What would be dumb would be to run your team based on media expectations for a given player.

I expect the last thing Chiarelli wants to do is to set up Larsson to fail.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I don't know why some people are so stuck up on the idea that Larsson was brought in to ONLY dominate in the D-Zone. Yes, he is talented defensively, but that doesn't mean he can't quarterback the PP. Prior to being drafted he was touted as a skilled 2-Way guy who could pass the puck really well. Just because New Jersey didn't capitalize on his offensive game, that doesn't mean the Oilers will ignore it too. He will log huge minutes, both on the PK and PP. His ice time will go up, probably hitting around 25 mins, and he'll be given the opportunity to play the point on the power play. He isn't just their best defensive d-man, he's their best all around D, period.

You won't find a consensus opinion on this topic anywhere, but I believe that by this time next year Larsson will be a coveted fantasy asset, even in points only leagues.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by an0maly View Post
    I don't know why some people are so stuck up on the idea that Larsson was brought in to ONLY dominate in the D-Zone. Yes, he is talented defensively, but that doesn't mean he can't quarterback the PP. Prior to being drafted he was touted as a skilled 2-Way guy who could pass the puck really well. Just because New Jersey didn't capitalize on his offensive game, that doesn't mean the Oilers will ignore it too. He will log huge minutes, both on the PK and PP. His ice time will go up, probably hitting around 25 mins, and he'll be given the opportunity to play the point on the power play. He isn't just their best defensive d-man, he's their best all around D, period.

You won't find a consensus opinion on this topic anywhere, but I believe that by this time next year Larsson will be a coveted fantasy asset, even in points only leagues.
    And I find people automatically assume that since he was dealt for Hall that he is expected to come in and produce offensively. The Oilers need a reliable guy in their own end just as much (if not more) than an offensive Dman and one cant overlook the way Larsson has developed into one of the better shutdown Dmen in the league at a very young age. The Oilers will use that skillset and be thankful.

Dont get me wrong, as an Oilers fan, I hope he turns into that two-way guy who puts up solid offensive points while still being one of the best young defensive Dmen as well. I am just being realistic in my expectations on his offensive numbers out of the gate.

I do agree with you though, he is going to see a lot of ice-time but so will Sekera.

If he was the offensive guy they were looking for, they wouldn't have still been looking at kids like Barrie after trading away Hall. That's why I am not sold on him coming in to be the offensive guy that so many want him to be. I think they are still looking for that guy and Larsson isn't it. He may end up being it by default but I truly think that isn't why they brought him in.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

I could be wrong, but wasn't Klefbom seeing plenty of PP time before his season went **** up?

He was my choice before reading the other comments, so I'm going to stick with him.

I do agree with the idea that Larsson will get a shot, but I'd suggest it'll be on a second unit...as opposed to being the man right away on the top unit.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    Ill say they start with Larsson, then realize that he is not the guy they thought he is and go with Klefblom
    Colour me 100% in agreement with Fizz!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Nobody is talking about Nurse... Maybe not this year but in 2017-18 and after that Nurse will probably be a fixture on the Oilers PP. Do you agree?
    14 Team Fantrax, G, A, PIM, SOG, PPP, SHP, Hit, Blk, FO%, GWG+ShGWG, W, L, SV, SV%, SHO
    Max Total Players: 31
    Min Active Players: 0
    Max Active Players: 17
    Max Reserve Players: 4
    Max Injury Reserve Players: 3
    Max Minor League Players: 15

C- MacKinnon, Seguin (RW), Bergeron, Kuznetsov, Hayes
    LW- Gaudreau, A Lee, Domi (LW), Olofsson (RW)
    RW- P Kane, T Wilson, Dadonov (LW), M Tkachuk (LW)
    D- Hedman, Carlson, Doughty, Spurgeon, Girard

G-Vasilevskiy, Varlamov, Stalock

Farm:
    F Hallander, G Denisenko, J Kuokkanen, C Garland, S Noel, A Barre-Boulet, J Marino, C Delia, J Korenar, D Tarasov, U-P Luukkonen, A Werner, J Annunen

Dobber Sports Stud

sekera to start the season, but i think the oilers want klefbom to step up. he'll get plenty of chances and before u know it, the PP will be his.
    it's gonna be a long wait till ethan bear is ready..........so in another 3-4 years they'll finally have a real PP QB on D!

Dobber Sports Giant

Another Klefbom vote here.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by martinc84 View Post
    Nobody is talking about Nurse... Maybe not this year but in 2017-18 and after that Nurse will probably be a fixture on the Oilers PP. Do you agree?
    Not good enough offensively IMO.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think its between Sekera, Klefbom, and Larsson... and I like them in that order.
    I expect Larsson to eat a lot of minutes... leaving the PP time more for Sekera.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Anyone notice who was quarterbacking in the pre season games?