Thread: Minor Prospect trade in deep league

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Minor Prospect trade in deep league

League is G A SOG PPP SHP H BLK FOW/L

I was offered Stephen Johns - DAL for Dmytro Timashov -TOR

Johns is 24 but had 55 hits in 14 games last season. He looks like he's never gonna be a big point producer, but should get a shot at the 2nd D pairing in Dallas this year.

Timashov is 19 , only 5-10, but looking good in the Q. He is behind quite a few guys in the leafs FWD prospect depth though.

I don't really need Johns to fill out my current lineup, but I can spare the FWD prospect and am very weak in my D prospect pool.

Do you guys think this is worth it?

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Minor Prospect trade in deep league

I would probably do that. Tough to know for sure since we have no idea from your post what your roster actually looks like. Timashov is buried behind a lot of good young prospects in the Toronto system. Chances of seeing him break into the top 6 there are very slim. Johns will likely be a top 4 D for Dallas this year. It also dpends on the value of hits in your league, since that is what Johns is going to give you, and not much else. If Radko Gudas is a good D to own in your league, Johns will probably be a good investment.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'm super high on Timashov. He showed in the Leafs rookie tourney that he can play with their best prospects and keep pace. The kid is an absolute stud. I won't be surprised if by end of season he has surpassed Kapanen on the depth charts. He may have been a 5th round pick in actuality, but if the fire under him to make the NHL wasn't big enough, that lit a bonfire under him as he believed he should have been a 1st round pick. He played 2nd line with Sweden WJC last year and stood out as one of their best players.

He's an investment hold. I would NOT trade him right now because you will not get fair value out of his potential. If you could get a Jake Walman type Dman in return - then yes, but a hit machine like Johns, there's no reason to make that deal. You'll be glad you held him.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'd go for it. Johns has a solid outlook in Dallas. Timashov has lots of hurdles to clear in TOR. Johns should contribute to most of your cats almost immediately.
    Stat cats -
    Skaters - G, A,+/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK
    Goalies - W, GAA, SV%, SHO

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I'm super high on Timashov. He showed in the Leafs rookie tourney that he can play with their best prospects and keep pace. The kid is an absolute stud. I won't be surprised if by end of season he has surpassed Kapanen on the depth charts. He may have been a 5th round pick in actuality, but if the fire under him to make the NHL wasn't big enough, that lit a bonfire under him as he believed he should have been a 1st round pick. He played 2nd line with Sweden WJC last year and stood out as one of their best players.

He's an investment hold. I would NOT trade him right now because you will not get fair value out of his potential. If you could get a Jake Walman type Dman in return - then yes, but a hit machine like Johns, there's no reason to make that deal. You'll be glad you held him.
    If Timashov hasn't passed Kapanen by the end of the year, then he's likely a bust. I don't think Kapanen will ever be an impactful NHLer.

John's should be a top 4 D.

Hard to fully evaluate without seeing your team, but based on limited info...I'd probably make the deal. A top 4 D is better than a prospect who's quite a bit away and certainly no sure thing.

The Great One

I'd take the trade... I like Timashov but where does he fit in and in what time frame?
    Experience is the teacher of all things.