Thread: Pouliot vs Schultz

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Pouliot vs Schultz

This was posted about Pouliot on Fantrax the other day:

"The Penguins are encouraged by Pouliot's summer conditioning, DK Pittsburgh Sports reports. "He's had the best summer of any player on our team," GM Jim Rutherford said. "It's a huge difference from where he was last year at this time. I expect Derrick to make a big jump. I truly do. He's in a great position right now. He's so talented. You're going to see a different player this year, I'm telling you."

Analysis: Pouliot, a first-round draft pick in 2012, has been something of an organizational disappointment so far. He's had issues stemming from nightclub incidents and his hockey focus has been questioned. His biggest supporter, former Pens coach Mike Johnston, sent him to the AHL prior to the start of last season, even though Johnston coached Pouliot in junior hockey. The defender has ample offensive talent -- he's totaled 47 points in 68 AHL contests -- but improved attention to defensive detail is needed to secure his future in Pittsburgh."

I own Justin Schultz and Pouliot but I need to choose between the two of them before the season begins. Which will be better this season for points only?
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Pouliot vs Schultz

This season I'm probably still going with Schultz...that quote looks good but the way is still blocked for Pouliot I think, whereas Schultz seems to have settled into a role in Pittsburgh.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Grand Master

A player is in the best shape of his life entering training camp? I am shocked, shocked I tell you! That's pretty much puffery.

I'd stick with Schultz unless you see something actually going on in camp/preseason.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

I don't think Pitts could be any more down on Pouliot the last 18 months so it's great to hear these quotes but I do feel they will let him down and he won't 'quite' make the opening night roster. Long term I prefer him but if it's to help me this year then I take Schultz
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The "safe" Schultz or take a gamble on Pouliot. If Derrickis really going to be a "different player" then the question I would ask myself is can I afford not to take Pouliot.

By taking Pouliot, the worse that will happen is to lose Schultz. By taking Schultz, you can miss out on much more.

Anyway, not sure if you get my idea. Īd take Pouliot.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Hmm.. an organization pumping the tires of a former 1st round pick? Seems odd no? heh.

8mths ago the world was against Schultz with their fingers crossed he could salvage his career outside of Edm. He has salvaged it, but has he done anything beyond that?

If you drop Pouliot, what are the odds of re-drafting him or resigning him? probably a lot less than dropping Schultz. The prize of the two is Pouliot.

I take the upside of Pouliot here. His path is really only blocked by himself. If his conditioning translates into mental desire and play on the ice - he'll remove the blockages. Schultz is a 3rd pair Dmen.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    I own Justin Schultz and Pouliot but I need to choose between the two of them before the season begins. Which will be better this season for points only?
    I was in the same predicament when I had to choose my keepers. I gambled on DP for the longer term but I'd want JS for points this year.

Dobber Sports Pro

Even if Shultz gets maybe a few more points I would keep Derick Pouliot and hope.

Player of J. Schultz caliber are easy to find by trade or draft... We still sont know what kind of Pouliot we will see but I like his potential.
    6 teams dynasty pool,points only,no pos. for F, Keep All, 12F, 6D, 2G count.....backup=6F, 4D, 2G, 4 roster moves( 2 at 30th game and 2 at NHL deadline)
    F- , P. Kane,Eichel, DeBrincat, Kopitar, Wheeler, Kuznetsov, Point, Huberdeau, Verhaghe, Bergeron,Keller, Batherson, Schmaltz, W.Nylander, Buchnevich,Rantanen
    D- Makar, Gostisbehere, Carlson, Burns, Barrie, M. Rielly, Hronek, DeAngelo, KA Miller
    G- Vasilevskyi, Sorokin, Campbell, Markstrom
    Farm: Lundell, Guenther, Holtz, Glass, E. Svechnikov, Denisenko, Newhook, Heponiemi, Lauko,Neighbours, Bokk N. Foote, Borgstrom, Dahlen, Bokk, S. Poulin, Zelleweger, Liljegren, Heinola, Perunovich, S. Knight.

The Great One

I'm down on both - give me option c
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I'm down on both - give me option c
    But he said he needs to pick one.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Noriculous View Post
    But he said he needs to pick one.
    In that case, flip a coin and prepare to grab one of what will likely be several better choices via the draft or free agent pick-up.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    In that case, flip a coin and prepare to grab one of what will likely be several better choices via the draft or free agent pick-up.
    Fair enough, would you consider Matheson or Bealieau to be an upgrade for this season?
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Titan

I would take Matheson over those options.

- - - Updated - - -

Should be about even for the season, but more upside.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    Fair enough, would you consider Matheson or Bealieau to be an upgrade for this season?
    I think there's a better than 50% chance either one of them will end up as an upgrade over the better of Pouliot and Schultz.