Thread: What to do with my one-year slot

Dobber Sports Pro

Default What to do with my one-year slot

Either way, I was sitting with the keepers referenced in my signature + Pacioretti (1 yr) prior to a trade I made on Sept 22nd. My draft pick situation was 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (2016), and 1, 2, 3, 5, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 (2017). Because I have some solid 1 yr keeper options that I happened to draft going into 15/16 (ie: Spezza, Carlson), I figured trade Patches since at most I would just have 1 more year with him, then could lose him for nothing, or get a minimal return for him. I ended up trading him for a 4 & 7 (2016) and 5 (2017). That allows me to complete my draft 2 rounds earlier in 2016 and 1 round earlier in 2017.

This is where my question comes in. I have been debating on what do I do with the 1 yr slot..Dobber, you were mentioning you would keep Carlson over Spezza, however I think purely based on value alone/the fact only 4 d men are projected to be unavailable in the draft (Karlsson, Burns, Subban, Ghost) means there will be a lot of good defense available in the draft, whereas 53/56 keepers are forwards + most rookies (aside from Ghost) being carried over are forwards. Aside from being uncertain whether to keep Spezza or Carlson, I was offered Huberdeau for one of my 4ths in 2016. The only issue is that the only slot I have open is 1 year, and Hubes doesn't have a contract so by default I can only put him in an open slot. If he had 2 yr contract (for instance) then I could forgo the 1 yr slot and just have two 2 year keepers, but that's not the case. In one sense, I could look at the sum of the deals as Huberdeau + 7 (2016) + 5 (2017) for Patches, but on the other hand, if I take Huberdeau, I don't think him and a 9th rounder will outproduce Spezza and the 4th rounder (if you catch my drift).

I'm also a bit concerned about whether I will get enough goals from my keepers, especially after trading Patches. I can always fix that by drafting goal heavy guys in the draft I guess. Just wondering, what would you do regarding the 1 yr slot? I personally think keep all of my draft picks, and sign Spezza to 1 year.

I would also love to get some opinions on my group of 5, if I do keep Spezza going into next season, like overall thoughts on it. I finished 7th last year, so I think there is room for upwards growth if I draft well.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    Goalie points: A (2), G (10), SHO (4), W (5), OL + ShL (2)
    Keepers: Kaprisov (4 yr), Svechnikov (3 yr), Point (2 yr), P Kane (1 yr)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    Bench: Trocheck, Rakell, Wedgewood, Francouz
    Rookie: Kochetkov
    IR:

Max GP: C (164), LW (164), RW (164), D (164), Skt (82), Goalie (82)
    1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    14 teams (4 keepers/team + can carry 1 rookie over)
    Fantrax

I...am your father.

Default Re: What to do with my one-year slot

I moved your original thread to the lounge, then I broke out this question and gave it its own thread. That way, everyone can see it and chime in. I'm taking off now - for the next 24 hours I have two big keeper league drafts plus a pre-draft party/trade discussion/beerfest mixed in there (while the CAN/RUS game is on)

I'd like to take a look at this more closely but it will be on Monday. But the other members will jump in with their two cents I'm sure.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Pro

Sounds great, thank you!
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Titan

There's a lot to digest here. My first thought is that if your league doesn't value defence enough, then you can take advantage of that. Try and pick them up in the draft before the runs start.
    With the league being goal heavy, I can see how it is so slanted towards with Forwards. It's tough to part with Patches, especially after his down year.
    What kind of other trade options are floating around in terms of forwards that you could swing for as improvements?
    You keeper group doesn't have one of those top 10 talents like Benn/Crosby etc, but it still looks solid. It could be tough to move up to the elite tier in your league without one or two of those guys.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Pro

It's not that the league doesn't value defense, it's that most guys don't believe in keeping a d man. There are 2 d slots per team/14 teams, plus d runs a lot deeper than 28 guys, so I think if you don't have a Karlsson, Burns, Letang, Subban type guy, you just take your chances and find d in the draft. Of the 4 I listed, Letang is probably not even being kept, initially he was going to be but I think that owner wants to keep marchand as a 1 instead. Add to that list Ghost, only difference being he is a rookie carry over, so I don't think he would have been kept if we didn't have the rookie aspect. Patches did have a down year, but he's pretty much established his ceiling (High 60s) which is solid, but I don't think Spezza is much of a drop-off, if at all. Spezza outdid Patches in goals last year, and while I see Spezza's goal total dropping a bit, and Patches increasing, I see it as just a slight downgrade to the 1 yr slot but gaining in the draft to improve my overall draft, that's my thinking at least. That, and even if I tried to pair Patches with 1 of my other keepers to get a top 10 talent, people aren't super high on Patches, or it's hard to take on 2 keepers and only trade 1. It just comes down to fit, so the team I moved him too had room for him. The 1 option I was looking at was a 4th rounder (2016) for Huberdeau, but if I can only sign him to 1 year I don't see it being advantageous to me. I lose the depth I gain with the 4th, and if anything he produces similar to Spezza. The comparison would be Spezza + 4th vs Huberdeau + 9th. Essentially having gained a 4th and 7th in 2016, I finish my draft in Rd 8 instead of Rd 10. If I were to take on Huberdeau, I would finish in Rd 9. Another possibility was Hall + a 4th for Kucherov. I feel it's a bit of an overpay given that even last year, the owner of Kucherov was offering him and picks for Hall, now he wants Hall and a pick for Kuch because he doesn't "have" to move him. I feel hall and kucherov are pretty similar overall, so I don't think it's worth it to give up on him at this point and decrease my depth. I was looking at Perry as well, and Johansen, but the other gm wanted a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Johansen, and again same problem I could only sign him to 1, and I had dangled Spezza + a pick for Perry, but the other owner wanted the rw vs c.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Titan

I think I'm starting to wrap my head around all of this, and I agree with a lot of your thinking. I really can't fault the keeping of Spezza in that case wit hthe fourth rounder coming back, and on the Huberdeau side, it doesn't make sense if you will only hold him for one year.
    I hadn't noted that there were only 2 D slots. In that case it does make sense that your league is undervaluing them. I still would be looking to try and get two of the next tier though in the draft. Players in the Byfuglien, Weber category that score quite a bit.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Pro

For sure, having 2 slots only makes a difference. Most guys don't carry a 3rd d man because it's a waste of a roster spot, unless a 3rd solid d man falls in your lap during the draft, and you can use one as a trade chip in season, or you need to plug a hole for an injured guy. I don't really subscribe to carrying a 3rd goalie (2nd bench goalie) or a 3rd d man because the quality probably isn't so great, and you would just be playing match-ups. You would be better served add/dropping those type guys if you need to employ that strategy. I agree with you in regards to Buff and Weber being solid targets. I would throw Gio in that group as well, and to a lesser degree Faulk. Above all of these guys I would put OEL. I also like guys like Carlson, Klingberg and Josi, but doesn't make much sense to have 2 of them because they are going to be similar 10-15 goal, 50+ point guys. Now I wouldn't be against it if that's how the draft goes down, but you just have to weigh the value of guys with more total points/less goals vs the value of guys with less total points/more goals. There are really only 3 guys who will get 20+ goals every year, Karlsson, Burns and OEL. I would happily draft OEL with my 1st round pick if he's there, and then add a 2nd d man in the middle rounds. If he's not there, I'll have a contingency plan in place.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    IR:

1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I agree with not making that deal. I think OEL would be a very good target for your defense.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.