Thread: Week 2 Injury Train

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Week 2 Injury Train

A lot of frantic fantasy footballers out there where major injuries from week 2 are leaving folks scrambling. Just trying to sort through the wreckage and help out with some updates (most coming Rotoworld):

Adrian Peterson (Torn Meniscus) = Out Indefinitely...likely heading to season ending IR. McKinnon and Asiata to have a 60/40 split in the backfield, McKinnon has been anointed the starter.

Johnathan Stewart (Hamstring) = Likely out 1-4 weeks...Rivera expects him to miss at least one game, maybe two, maybe 3, maybe 4...he's being a typical coach here. Uncertainty with Whittkaer/CAP split.

Danny Woodhead (Torn right ACL) = Out for the season. Big bump for Gordon and hopefully he can continue to build off his good start. Terrible break for the Chargers offense, yet again.

Doug Martin (Hamstring) = Out ~3 weeks...Sims will carry the load and should return nice numbers especially in PPR and could be a workhorse while Martin is out.

Brandon Marshall (Sprained MCL) = Day-to-day...Bowles has stated that Marshall doesn't have the injury and he looked fine against Buffalo following the injury mid-way through the game on Thursday night. Missed practice but worthy to monitor...Enuwa should be owned regardless but will see a nice bump if Marshall misses time.

Donte Moncreif (Shoulder) = Out 4-6 Weeks...Initially thought to be a concussion but actually a fractured scapula...Dorsett should see a target bump and also a bump likely heading for TE Jack Doyle as well.

Ameer Abdullah
    (Foot) = On IR, out Min. 8 weeks...Riddick and Washington to carry the load; Washington especially could be an intriguing option and likely the goalline back.

Doug Baldwin (Knee) = day-to-day...Played through the game, not expected to miss Week 3's game.

Rashad Jennings
    (Hand, Thumb) = Day-to-day...To be limited in practice, expected to play Sunday.

Arian Foster (Groin) = Day-to-day...Most likely to miss the upcoming game and a bigger RBBC likely taking place in Miami. Foster expected back week 4.

Jimmy Garoppolo (shoulder) = Week-to-week...expected to miss 3-4 weeks. Patriots will have either Brissett or a vet come in until Brady is back for week 5.

Josh McCown
    (Shoulder) = Out...expected to be serious. More of a factor if you own other Browns since you weren't starting him anyways. Probably a bigger bump in workload for Crowell and Johnson.

The Wolverine

Default Re: Week 2 Injury Train

Nice list and updates, thanks.

Also, nice that I have three of them...

Dobber Sports Guru

Thanks for this. I only own Garoppolo, and he's been riding my bench anyways.

Be interesting to see Minny though, if Peterson is gone for a while and Bridgewater out. That is probably going to kill a lot of fantasy football teams (especially in keepers leagues or those who drafted before Bridgewater's injury).

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I own Gordon... so having Woodhead out of the picture helps me... but its fantasy football... could be three of my players with season ending injuries next week, or tonight haha

Dobber Sports Immortal

It has begun!!

This will make my league changing to FAAB worth it. Wednesday morning is going to be great

Dobber Sports Veteran

Man my team is already decimated.

If you guys could have one of Whittaker or Ajayi, who do you use your top waiver on?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by FinnishFlash View Post
    Man my team is already decimated.

If you guys could have one of Whittaker or Ajayi, who do you use your top waiver on?
    Ohhhhh top waiver? I dunno about either! Is it PPR....any better WR out there?

Dobber Sports Expert

I'd prefer Whittaker....I don't think that Ajayi has done enough to separate himself from the pack. Also no guarantee at the moment that Foster misses time. But I don't feel either player is worthy of top waiver use.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I should have rephrased that. I have #3 waiver , so no guarantee either gets to me.

It's 0.5 PPR. My team hasn't been terrible, but not great either. I'll be 1-1 after this week. Two steady performances, but I'm certainly not confident in my team.

Based on you guys reactions, I'm guessing you don't believe either will be a lotto ticket

Dobber Sports Expert

At 1-1, not sure I'd waste my #3 waiver for a guy whose only going to fill in for a bigger role, maybe for a couple of games at best.

Dobber Sports Expert

Edit: Summerlin of Rotoworld is reporting that based on previous circumstances, Cameron Artis-Payne could stand to be be the bigger beneficiary from Johnathan Stewart's injury:
    This is a bit of a risky call considering Artis-Payne has yet to be active this season and Fozzy Whittaker (see below) went for 100 yards after Jonathan Stewart went down Week 2. Like in Minnesota, however, we have seen this play before. Artis-Payne spent much of his rookie season as a healthy scratch before getting 33 carries over three games in relief of an injured Stewart. Whittaker had seven total carries in the first two games of that run before sitting out the third. Whittaker will remain involved, but CAP is a better like-for-like replacement. Like Stewart, Artis-Payne’s upside is capped by Cam Newton’s propensity for rushing touchdowns, but he is a good bet for 12-15 carries with Stewart out.
    Recommendation: Should be owned in all formats
    His take on McKinnon & Asiata split:
    Considering the potential length of Adrian Peterson’s absence and the potential volume, these two are clearly the top adds, but picking between them is tricky. McKinnon has much more athletic talent and is expected to be on the correct side of a 65/35 split by ace beat reporter Matt Vensel, but in the exact same situation in 2014, Asiata scored 10 total touchdowns with 44 receptions on his way to an RB17 finish. He outscored McKinnon by 3.6 standard points and 4.2 PPR points per game that season. To be fair, six of Asiata’s touchdowns came in two games, and McKinnon was a bigger factor before being limited by a back injury. Still, it is not a given he leads the backfield in fantasy points while Peterson is out. McKinnon is the top add because of his upside, but Asiata will be the better value in FAAB leagues and could end up as the better fantasy option.
    Recommendation: Should be owned in all formats

Dobber Sports Expert

List above is updated

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks!

I did not use the waiver, now hold #1. Artis-Payne is available, may drop Sproles or James White for him. Luckily I held onto Mckinnon, hopefully he seizes the opportunity to be the lead back.