Thread: Mason, Smith, or wait and grab Niemi?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Mason, Smith, or wait and grab Niemi?

League in sig.

I use FantasyHockeyGeek's set of tools (rankings, draft guru, etc) and based on my league's categories, here are the top remaining goalies in my draft:

1. Mike Smith - 146 rating
    2. Steve Mason - 120 rating
    3. Ryan Miller - 74 rating

Niemi and Lehtonen are 51 and 46 ratings respectively. As you can see, there is a sharp decline after Mason.

I'm kind of surprised to see Mike Smith ranked way up there, but I guess he's definitely got the job?

Anyway, our draft is slow and offline, and I've got a pick coming up. If I miss out on Mason, would you put your faith in Mike Smith, or wait even longer and grab a couple of defensemen and Niemi?
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Mason, Smith, or wait and grab Niemi?

Really depends on who else is available right now with those picks. I don't have a lot of faith in any of the goalies you've posted so I would probably lean on waiting and snagging Niemi/Lehtonen later, but that really depends on who else you can get right now.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Really depends on who else is available right now with those picks. I don't have a lot of faith in any of the goalies you've posted so I would probably lean on waiting and snagging Niemi/Lehtonen later, but that really depends on who else you can get right now.
    Thx. My pick is in 2 turns and I'm honestly leaning towards Vatanen at this point. Starting 4 D every day is a problem (if you don't have them!). I was going to go goalie next round and I assume Mason will be gone by then.

Outside of Vatanen, I could go Hartnell, Brouwer, Evander Kane (bleck), Phaneuf or Atkinson.

A lot of guys only have 1/4 Defensemen and it starts thinning out big time after Phaneuf and Vatanen (Erik Johnson, Larsson if you're a believer, Vlasic, Markov's knees)
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Titan

Vlasic is a good steal in a later round. Phaneuf is my pick because of PIMs. Vatanen is solid too though. I would try and wait until next round to snag Mike Smith. If you miss out though, definitely grab the Dallas Duo.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

In a 16-team, start 2G league... man, goalies have GOLD value.

I rag on Mike Smith a lot. People think he's good. He's really not.
    That said - this year, I kind of liking Mike Smith & the Yotes as good sleepers.
    Their D is deceptively solid. Obv they have OEL. Mike Stone & Murply are hitting a really good gear.
    They brought in Goligoski & Luke Schenn.
    And, if healthy Zibby Michalek & Grossman are actually decently mobile gargants.

The kids are going to have to play some defensive hockey... and unlike the Oils kids of past years, I think the Yotes kids can do it.
    Hanzal & B.Richardson aren't sexy names... but they'll play defense since they aren't offensive dynamos.

I actually kind of wish Dobber (& FHG) hadn't pegged Smith high... because those that trust him (fairly so) will now up-value Smith and take him off the board.

So... yeah... Mike Smith... this year... I'm on board.
    (hopefully nobody in my leagues is reading this - but... well... I don't hide most of my cards close to my chest in Sept... I just prefer to talk hockey...)

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

That said - this year, I kind of liking Mike Smith & the Yotes as good sleepers.
    Their D is deceptively solid. Obv they have OEL. Mike Stone & Murply are hitting a really good gear.
    And, if healthy Zibby Michalek & Grossman are actually decently mobile gargants.

The kids are going to have to play some defensive hockey... and unlike the Oils kids of past years, I think the Yotes kids can do it.
    Hanzal & B.Richardson aren't sexy names... but they'll play defense since they aren't offensive dynamos.

I actually kind of wish Dobber (& FHG) hadn't pegged Smith high... because those that trust him (fairly so) will now up-value Smith and take him off the board.

(hopefully nobody in my leagues is reading this - but... well... I don't hide most of my cards close to my chest in Sept... I just prefer to talk hockey...)
    I actually had Mike Smith last year and he was a god-send. He was my primary goalie and I was supposed to finish in dead last because I had no picks through round 1-5. With him and a couple of other good pickups, I finished 10th but was able to trade Smith for some picks this year.

I'll be honest though, I'd rather not put a lot of stock into him. I'd rather bet on a guy like Mason if I had to. But like you said, goalies are golden in a league this size. If I don't get one this round, I have to get one next round. 7 teams still don't have 2 goalies, which means they're going to go soon.

But you'd take Smith over Mason?
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Star

EDIT: Son of a bitch the guy before my just took Vatanen. Ugh.
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by gfhyde View Post
    But you'd take Smith over Mason?
    Yup. The Philly defense is terrible. (and I'm a PHI fan)

Arizona's strength is in their D.
    If they can score a goal or two early - which they will, with their youth... I think they'll sit on their lead and play tough-nosed hockey.

Added to this... barring injury, Domingue will not overtake Smith.
    But... Neuvirth could, very well, overtake Mason.

I think Philly is almost done with Mason.
    He's been solid over a full season, but he still proves to have brain-farts, which does not fly for making a 2-month run towards a Cup.
    If a team can't win a Cup with a goalie, I think they have to realize they might need to move on from him, even if he's been decent.

One last note, the PHI GM is Hextall.
    Mason is pre-Hextall.
    Neuvirth was a Hextall signing.
    Hextall only gets credit for one of these guys.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

Note to self, draft Smith in the RHRS and trade him to Pengwin... Wait a minute!!! What if that's your plan all along?!!? Hype up Smith so that we jump on him early! I'm on to you... Unless you knew I would figure it out and you really do want Smith! That's it, I'm drafting him in the first round now!
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    What if that's your plan all along?!!? Hype up Smith so that we jump on him early!
    Round 11, Pick #11.
    If he's still there, he's mine.
    (not kidding - do with that as you will)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It's a one year league, as far as any of these guys are concerned. Smith is way safer than Mason, as Mason is a healthy Neuwirth (admittedly a rarity) away from losing this job for good. I view them as a tandem going into the year, and as Pengwin7 (a VERY odd name for a Flyers fan) said, Hextall gets credit for and acquired one of the two, and it isn't Mason.

He should know what it takes to get to the Cup as a goalie, and to be a trusted goalie in Philly. Mason is most definitely NOT that.

I would go Smith first, and if he's off the board, grab the Stars duo. I have Mason as an avoid.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.