Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Colin Kaepernick...what a Donkey!

The Great One

Default Re: Colin Kaepernick...what a Donkey!

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I meant to ask this earlier >> Is Kaepernick using any of his millions to help create change??

This is such a touchy subject with many different opinions.. No matter what, we will never all agree on this matter but I do love reading everyones responses..
    there are a number of reports of a one million dollar pledge:
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/co...ities-in-need/

Dobber Sports Sophomore

http://qz.com/772541/colin-kaepernic...rd-patriotism/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...=.33365dbda9ce

http://theundefeated.com/features/ka...ice-not-peace/

Please read and try to understand the issue. To argue against this because of a lack of understanding is one thing but to make no effort to understand is disrespectful and unpatriotic. The fact so many people place a greater importance on a song and piece of cloth than the ideals they are actually supposed to represent displays this lack of understanding. All Kaepernick and his supporters want is to help make America the best it can be. If we all stop being angry at everyone else with a different perspective and really make an effort then maybe this is possible.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by STLblues View Post
    +1

I'm sure Collin has abstained from rap music as well given its celebration of violence against women and police.....and its promotion of drug use....
    Yep that will definitely impact a change. And if we ban all movies like Godfather and Scarface mafia crime will also stop

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Wow. I suppose bar tenders are to blame for an uptick of drinking and driving! But ok... Continue on with your tangent.

To say that police are responsible for fixing the crime problem suggests just that. How bout communities show a little accountability for these issues rather than just pointing fingers at the police in general. Cops have a right to feel insulted... But guess what... They've felt that way for much longer than this entitled donkey has been alive.

No innocent person should be gunned down... BUT... IF YOURE GOING TO HOLD UP A 7-11, accost an officer and then cry police brutality because you were believed to be a threat and gunned down... Well then... Maybe it's time to really look at the cause and effect of these issues.
    It is clear we are arguing different issues which explains the disconnect. There will always be violent encounters where police will unfortunately have to kill a criminal if it becomes the only way to keep themselves or others safe.

The issue here is police stopping INNOCENT and UNARMED men for no reason and shooting them multiple times and watching them die with their wives, children, or other bystanders also watching and being prohibited by the shooting officer to call the ambulance. If you were unaware that these tragic events happen with far too much regularity then I can accept the misunderstanding but if you are aware and still argue then I have nothing further to say here

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Chunks View Post
    Yep that will definitely impact a change. And if we ban all movies like Godfather and Scarface mafia crime will also stop
    Clearly not. But do you support his blatant and outright offensive choice to wear socks with pigs in uniform as an effective way to impact change?

Listen, it's not that I don't support "making a country better", my issue is with this clown specifically and his choices, his misuse (IMO) of his platform, and his decision to put issues before his responsibilities as an employee. By all means, speak up and ask to be heard, but don't think that your employers should stand by and let you spout off, say 1 thing then behave in an offensive matter.

I wouldn't expect my employers to turn a blind eye as my performance started to slip (well below the level of what they were paying me) while stepping aside to allow me to use my position in the company (that I'm clearly not earning at the moment) to spout off on political issues and act in a manner deemed offensive to all police officers, esp those officers the employer rely on to keep the piece and safety of its patrons.

Or maybe standards are different when your paid hundreds of millions. I wouldn't know.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Clearly not. But do you support his blatant and outright offensive choice to wear socks with pigs in uniform as an effective way to impact change?

Listen, it's not that I don't support "making a country better", my issue is with this clown specifically and his choices, his misuse (IMO) of his platform, and his decision to put issues before his responsibilities as an employee. By all means, speak up and ask to be heard, but don't think that your employers should stand by and let you spout off, say 1 thing then behave in an offensive matter.

I wouldn't expect my employers to turn a blind eye as my performance started to slip (well below the level of what they were paying me) while stepping aside to allow me to use my position in the company (that I'm clearly not earning at the moment) to spout off on political issues and act in a manner deemed offensive to all police officers, esp those officers the employer rely on to keep the piece and safety of its patrons.

Or maybe standards are different when your paid hundreds of millions. I wouldn't know.
    Sorry, but this is total BS. If I had a nickel for every professional athlete that wasn't living up to his contract, I'd be rich.

You seem to be arguing that his social protest would be legitimate if he was playing better football? That's ridiculous.

The best article I've read on this subject was written by Mark Clague on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/31/opinio...pinion-clague/ (which is mainly defending the US anthem against claims that it is racist...)

It ends with:

"The history of the 'Star-Spangled Banner', like the United States as a whole, is convoluted. The lines between justice and injustice are crisscrossed by crippling social blindness that each era must own and overcome. Colin Kaepernick's protests draws our attention to the unvarnished fact today that today many Americans feel 'the home of the brave' is not necessarily their 'land of the free.' Yet America's history and thus America's anthem can be powerful tools to achieve a better understanding to learn about ourselves and to imagine a better collective national future. To sing 'The Star-Spangled Banner' can be to explore our history if one gets beyond rote singing to consider Key's song and its history. For this inspiration of a national conversation, I am grateful to Colin Kaepernick."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Chunks View Post
    It is clear we are arguing different issues which explains the disconnect. There will always be violent encounters where police will unfortunately have to kill a criminal if it becomes the only way to keep themselves or others safe.

The issue here is police stopping INNOCENT and UNARMED men for no reason and shooting them multiple times and watching them die with their wives, children, or other bystanders also watching and being prohibited by the shooting officer to call the ambulance. If you were unaware that these tragic events happen with far too much regularity then I can accept the misunderstanding but if you are aware and still argue then I have nothing further to say here
    There is no disconnect from my opinion. I started this thread and if you go back and read my initial post, my message was not contesting that there are indeed these issues in many states south of the border (I am not American). Clearly there are issues that need addressed.

My issue is and always has been with Colin Kaepernik in this thread.

That while trying (in his mind) to look noble and bring respect to an issue that he's is passionate about, he's doing so by being disrespectful and out right offensive (to all police) and coming across as an entitled and arrogant punk based on his actions.

I have many friends who are officers of law enforcement. And while these specific incidents you speak of and CK is speaking out against are no doubt heinous and deplorable, I'm willing to bet that there many more issues of honourable service and selfless sacrifice by officers each and every day. That rarely gets the front page press that the bad news gets. To basically shit on all police, which in my opinion, CK is clearly doing to "effect change" by some of his actions is just plane sad and will serve no use in "effecting change" from my perspective.

I've talked to many people of this topic on and off this forum and seems more people are sick of this clowns actions than are rallying to support him. Trend seems the same here as well.

Job well done Kaepernik. Now go disappear.

As for you Chunky Chunks, I very much appreciate the knowledge and passion you brought to this thread. I respect your point of view and honestly, you links and external information linked it did more to enhance my awareness of the issues you speak of... Far more than that Kaepernik did. I suppose that alone you would say is a win to for Kaepernik's cause as his actions motivated me to start this thread and in doing so... Create a porthole for just a few to learn more on the subject.

Perhaps from that perspective, you may be correct (and again, I appreciate your contributions to the specific issues) But my stance on Keapernik hasn't changed. I do NOT respect his methods, do not respect his attitude, and do not see him as a positive poster boy to actually effect change. Cops in the US and Canada risk their lives ever single day they put on the uniform. That too deserves respect and support. Every day law enforcement is expected to protect the "innocent" and law abiding public by reasonable means. And that successfully takes place each and every day. But good news garners no news so very often. It's easy to take Law Enforcement for granted as a whole especially when a fraction of all officers fail to use good judgement and/or choose to disregard the training Received and Oath taken thus feeding into the issues you speak of Chunky Chunks. I have no issue with fighting an injustice, but don't like to see all Law Enforcement painted with the same brush and disrespected by activists. That would be the same as me hypothetically calling you (chunky chunks) a donkey for supporting Keapernik who we all know how I feel about.

I do still see him as a DONKEY and with that, this thread has come full circle for me.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Sorry, but this is total BS. If I had a nickel for every professional athlete that wasn't living up to his contract, I'd be rich.

You seem to be arguing that his social protest would be legitimate if he was playing better football? That's ridiculous.

The best article I've read on this subject was written by Mark Clague on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/31/opinio...pinion-clague/ (which is mainly defending the US anthem against claims that it is racist...)

It ends with:

"The history of the 'Star-Spangled Banner', like the United States as a whole, is convoluted. The lines between justice and injustice are crisscrossed by crippling social blindness that each era must own and overcome. Colin Kaepernick's protests draws our attention to the unvarnished fact today that today many Americans feel 'the home of the brave' is not necessarily their 'land of the free.' Yet America's history and thus America's anthem can be powerful tools to achieve a better understanding to learn about ourselves and to imagine a better collective national future. To sing 'The Star-Spangled Banner' can be to explore our history if one gets beyond rote singing to consider Key's song and its history. For this inspiration of a national conversation, I am grateful to Colin Kaepernick."
    Nope...never suggested that. I agree...to suggest this WOULD BE REDICULOUS. This post you highlight is but one of many posts.

A) i do not respect his methods. The pig socks are but 1 choice that I feel is disrespectful to all police and by extension, disrespectful to his employer also. Sitting or standing for the Anthem is up for debate. I'm not a fan but that is clearly a way to peacefully protest an issue. (I'd sooner see anthem's removed from professional sports all together)
    B) AND In the post you highlighted, I feel he is also misusing his platform and putting his employer in a bad situation for a variety of reasons...
    One of which is that they just signed this guy to a rediculous contract that it appears he will fail to be able to live up to BECAUSE HE CANT PERFORM AT HIS POSITION ANYMORE (did not intend on caps but pain in the ass to fix on my phone)
    Second he is bringing a ton of negative press to their organization.
    Third, he seems to care more about drawing attention to himself and creating a distraction for his team for political reasons rather than focusing on uniting his team and earning his contract (on the field) as the season is set to begin.

Disrespecting the police force who the 49ers (likely all teams) employ to enforce law and maintain safety for its patrons is not an effective way to effect change and Infact, I feel disrespects his employer as well.

Won't be surprised to see this guy moved off the 49ers roster as Axeman suggested and seems to be eager for (as a 49ers fan).

"Let him be someone else's problem" ... This is what I'm hearing from so many football fans (49er fans and others). Seems to be a common feeling. Well done Kaepernik!

Dobber Sports Deity

I saw this story this morning about a cop, who at one time had shot and killed an african-american kid, sent Kaepernick an open letter.

http://conservativetribune.com/cop-s...ign=manualpost
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Wait what?!?!

Kaepernick had the better judgement to wear a Fidel Castro T-Shirt to a press conference a couple days ago? How did I miss that? Google it.

Unless this guy is strategically smarter than nearly everyone I know and my sense of good judgement is far inferior... Im guessing this wasn't a positive move in his quest to fight oppression.

Um... Donkey?

The Great One

First, I really don't see ANY connection between his contract and social protest. It's not like he's out of shape and has stopped trying because all of his energy is going into protesting. Professional teams sign players to terrible (and great) contracts all the time. As far as I'm concerned, his contract is completely irrelevant.

Second, he's brought a ton of negative and positive press. He's created a dialogue.

Third, go read an article on the pig socks. He wore those on August 10th, before his protest. Nobody said a word about them until the anthem thing. He has relatives and friends that are police officers. Do I think that's the smartest thing to do? No. But why is it that nobody cared about those socks until he staged his national anthem protest?

I also find it interesting that police boycotted their voluntary security duties at a WNBA game because 4 female players wore a shirt that said, "Change starts with us, justice and accountability. Black Lives Matter." In your view, is that also disrespecting all police officers?

The pig socks are immature. But they are also a distraction from the main message.

I'd have absolutely no issue if the NFL or 49ers disciplined him for the pig socks.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I saw this story this morning about a cop, who at one time had shot and killed an african-american kid, sent Kaepernick an open letter.

http://conservativetribune.com/cop-s...ign=manualpost
    Wow. Thanks for sharing this Chris! A great message to help centre the "pendulum" from my perspective.

This pretty much nails my passion and desire to show respect for our law enforcement WHILE fighting to identify and eliminate those "bad apples" identified by this very officer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    First, I really don't see ANY connection between his contract and social protest. It's not like he's out of shape and has stopped trying because all of his energy is going into protesting. Professional teams sign players to terrible (and great) contracts all the time. As far as I'm concerned, his contract is completely irrelevant.

Second, he's brought a ton of negative and positive press. He's created a dialogue.

Third, go read an article on the pig socks. He wore those on August 10th, before his protest. Nobody said a word about them until the anthem thing. He has relatives and friends that are police officers. Do I think that's the smartest thing to do? No. But why is it that nobody cared about those socks until he staged his national anthem protest?

I also find it interesting that police boycotted their voluntary security duties at a WNBA game because 4 female players wore a shirt that said, "Change starts with us, justice and accountability. Black Lives Matter." In your view, is that also disrespecting all police officers?

The pig socks are immature. But they are also a distraction from the main message.

I'd have absolutely no issue if the NFL or 49ers disciplined him for the pig socks.
    And the Casto shirt? Worn after the protest?

Dobber Sports Deity

As I say, I can see both sides to this story, but the one who disagree with his "stance" and also Kaepernick and his reasoning for doing what he's doing. I can also see the right and wrong with both sides.

As I Niners fan, I am NOT a Kaepernick fan when it comes to him as a football player. I don't think he's a "bad" player per se, but his contract for the Niners is atrocious and because of that, I have a disdain for him with the Niners.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    As I say, I can see both sides to this story, but the one who disagree with his "stance" and also Kaepernick and his reasoning for doing what he's doing. I can also see the right and wrong with both sides.

As I Niners fan, I am NOT a Kaepernick fan when it comes to him as a football player. I don't think he's a "bad" player per se, but his contract for the Niners is atrocious and because of that, I have a disdain for him with the Niners.
    Hear that! Wonder if the Broncos feel they dodged a bullet. Weren't they offering the same type of money to Kaepernik?

Dobber Sports Deity

No, it wasn't that they were offering him a contract, it was more the Niners were trying to trade away his bad contract and the Broncos wouldn't take it all and their asking price was ridiculous.