Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Colin Kaepernick...what a Donkey!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Colin Kaepernick...what a Donkey!

No?

This guy, adopted by white parents, experienced all the "benefits" of such (stereotypical generalizations I'm sure) and he's trying to be the face in the fight for racial equality. What's next? Kaitlyn Jenner stepping to the mic to preach on sexual in equality?

I mean I get it... You're black
    And I get the issues of concern, primarily south of the Canadian border... But to try and make your point and presumably strive for respect by disrespecting the flag and anthem of your Nation, as well as gross disrespect for the police ( piggies in uniform on your socks...real classy)
    Simply put... He's a Donkey IMO and doing nothing positive in the quest for racial equality.

Just my rant for tonight.

Happy to hear the police may be pulling out of working 49er games. Before too long, this joker will have lost more than his job (cause his focus clearly isn't on his career), but also his forum to preach.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: Colin Kaepernick...what a Donkey!

Listening to him speak I hear respect for his country and its military and that respect is reciprocated by many soldiers and veterans. Muhammad Ali was said to have disrespected America and years later was applauded for it. It was once accepted to keep slaves, then segregation, right to vote, etc. We look back at society in those days and wonder how people accepted such wrong beliefs. I hope people of the future look back at us with the same bewilderment. The world gets better all the time but is still far from perfect. Once we accept that everything is ok that's when we slide backwards.

http://theundefeated.com/features/an...in-kaepernick/

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I don't agree with the disrespect for the national anthem and for the hard working police officers.. But Kaepernick is clearly making a spectacle and people are talking about it, so it's actually working.. And now others are following suit and choosing to support this facade by also sitting during the star spangled banner..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

1-Colin Kaepernick is no Muhammed Ali IMO.

2- And he had better hope that his controversial "spectical" gains traction with others because at this rate, he's going to "action" his way out of a job and become a distant memory in the same light as Tim Tebow. What was Tebow's message again?

Mohammed Ali was thought to be the best in his field. A leader of sorts and a poet with his voice, words and choice of message delivery.

From my perspective, Keapernick has only started to step out as it seems his career may be in peril. Not because of what he says, but because of what he fails to do on the field. This is simply an added distraction and I fear, should he be eventually released, his new message will be fueled by "racial injustice" in sport, rather than simply his own short comings and desire to put politics before professionalism. Will he be accountable? Or shift accountability to others? Answers to Questions that hopefully we won't need to find out.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Why does his upbringing or professional status matter? He has a platform that most don't have and is using it with the hope to make a change for the better. If a bunch of special teamers and backup QB's follow suit, does their message become less impactful because of where they rank amongst their peers?

Dobber Sports Sage

I don't have a problem with his protest. I think it's pretty obvious that the US has a police brutality problem. However, I do disagree with his use of the word "oppression."
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt, Hayton
    RW- Batherson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Stone, Wilson, Raymond,
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Ristolainen, Cernak, Barrie
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Levi, Tarasov

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Mintyukov, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, Podskolvin, REvans, Dorofeyev, Anunumen

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    Why does his upbringing or professional status matter? He has a platform that most don't have and is using it with the hope to make a change for the better. If a bunch of special teamers and backup QB's follow suit, does their message become less impactful because of where they rank amongst their peers?
    likely yes. Sad but true. Those guys you describe likely don't have the same level of platform that a Starting QB has. Their voice/action probably wouldn't carry as much weight as someone in Kaepernik's position. That's how the professional sports platform works. But Kaepernick seems to be focused more on creating a political backlash than he does earning his job. That's misuse of the platform IMO. He is accountable to his employers to be the best he can be. It's what their paying him to do. Instead, he's seemingly putting his employee responsibilities 2nd or 3rd to taking advantage of the platform of which his employers, his sport have granted him.

And uniform pigs on his socks? Say what you will. He's a donkey!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I don't have a problem with his protest. I think it's pretty obvious that the US has a police brutality problem. However, I do disagree with his use of the word "oppression."
    won't contest that to a degree. But I'd be willing to bet that the types of criminals faced In The states is a big problem as well. Couple that with the lax gun laws compared to Canada, cops face life threatening perils every single day. It's easy to criticize those expected to protect society. But can they all be painted with the same brush (as Kaepernik's actions are doing).

Not just disrespectful, it's Insulting all police from my perspective.

Dobber Sports Deity

As a Niners fan, I have followed this story pretty closely.

I don't have a problem with his protest but I don't like the way he's going about it. I've gone back and forth on this as I don't like the way he is disrespecting the anthem but I can appreciate his concerns.

I found this tweet from the Navy Seals interesting and I agree with this:

https://twitter.com/The_navy_seals/s...35921759199232

How much of your oppressive $114 million dollar contract are you using to help fix things? #ColinKaepernick
    I also read this Players Tribune from Russell Okung that came out yesterday I believe, and you can tell he has support from within the league. Maybe some arent as willing to be as obvious in their support, but you can tell it's there. He doesn't compare Kaepernick to Ali, but more towards Tommie Smith and John Carlos when they used the Olympics as a platform to show their displeasure with civil rights in 1968. It's a very good read on how, one can only assume, many NFL players feel about Kaepernick and his "stance".

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/rus...rnick-protest/

I doubt Kaepernick will make much change by doing this, but he's certainly bringing a lot of publicity to a subject that is touchy in the USA. I am not American but even I can see there's an obvious problem. The fact that Kaepernick didn't do a one and done on his "stance" is important as it keeps it on the front page longer than for just one day. He's clearly not anti-military and does appreciate the sacrifices made by others that give him the abilities to make this protest possible.

As a Niners fan, I doubt he will be sitting/taking a knee on the Niners sidelines much longer anyways. That makes me happy as he's simply an overpaid NFL player. He will soon be making his protest on another sideline. I am fine with that.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    As a Niners fan, I have followed this story pretty closely.

I don't have a problem with his protest but I don't like the way he's going about it. I've gone back and forth on this as I don't like the way he is disrespecting the anthem but I can appreciate his concerns.

I found this tweet from the Navy Seals interesting and I agree with this:

https://twitter.com/The_navy_seals/s...35921759199232

I also read this Players Tribune from Russell Okung that came out yesterday I believe, and you can tell he has support from within the league. Maybe some arent as willing to be as obvious in their support, but you can tell it's there. He doesn't compare Kaepernick to Ali, but more towards Tommie Smith and John Carlos when they used the Olympics as a platform to show their displeasure with civil rights in 1968. It's a very good read on how, one can only assume, many NFL players feel about Kaepernick and his "stance".

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/rus...rnick-protest/

I doubt Kaepernick will make much change by doing this, but he's certainly bringing a lot of publicity to a subject that is touchy in the USA. I am not American but even I can see there's an obvious problem. The fact that Kaepernick didn't do a one and done on his "stance" is important as it keeps it on the front page longer than for just one day. He's clearly not anti-military and does appreciate the sacrifices made by others that give him the abilities to make this protest possible.

As a Niners fan, I doubt he will be sitting/taking a knee on the Niners sidelines much longer anyways. That makes me happy as he's simply an overpaid NFL player. He will soon be making his protest on another sideline. I am fine with that.
    Or no side lines at all. Here here!

Dobber Sports Deity

He'll play somewhere.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    He'll play somewhere.
    I suppose you're right. I Mean even Tebow bounced around a bit.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    won't contest that to a degree. But I'd be willing to bet that the types of criminals faced In The states is a big problem as well. Couple that with the lax gun laws compared to Canada, cops face life threatening perils every single day. It's easy to criticize those expected to protect society. But can they all be painted with the same brush (as Kaepernik's actions are doing).

Not just disrespectful, it's Insulting all police from my perspective.
    I agree with you. The US has a huge gang and gun problem directly due to a lack of education in the urban areas and a widening poverty gap. I live in Chicago so I am aware firsthand about gangbangers and daily shootings. My buddy is a fireman/paramedic and a huge part of his job is cleaning up the city's mess. We talk about this all the time. As a teacher, I am completely pro-police and I know they have a very tough job.

I didn't know about the pigs on his socks. Not only is it disrespectful but it worsens his ability to get his message across. It's respectable to bring attention to an issue you feel strongly about but pigs on socks is an insult.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt, Hayton
    RW- Batherson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Stone, Wilson, Raymond,
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Ristolainen, Cernak, Barrie
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Levi, Tarasov

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Mintyukov, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, Podskolvin, REvans, Dorofeyev, Anunumen

I don't have an issue with his view per se. I find it ironic that he's protesting the flag that is symbolic of the very freedom which gives him the right to protest. I also find it ironic for a millionaire black man to scream oppression. His refusal to stand is a very passive form of "protest" and unimpressive in this man's mind. This is more media driven publicity than anything.

Again, I have no take on his opinion. We all have 'em.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Chunks View Post
    Listening to him speak I hear respect for his country and its military and that respect is reciprocated by many soldiers and veterans. Muhammad Ali was said to have disrespected America and years later was applauded for it. It was once accepted to keep slaves, then segregation, right to vote, etc. We look back at society in those days and wonder how people accepted such wrong beliefs. I hope people of the future look back at us with the same bewilderment. The world gets better all the time but is still far from perfect. Once we accept that everything is ok that's when we slide backwards.

http://theundefeated.com/features/an...in-kaepernick/
    Alis situation and Kaepernick's are totally different. Kaepernick seems like a spoiled brat who wants some attention. I admire he wants the country to be better but there are better ways to show awareness than to disrespect the nation anthem of the country which is making you millions just to throw a silly ball around a field.