Thread: Scoring Settings Suggestions for Goalies.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Scoring Settings Suggestions for Goalies.

Just wondering on thoughts on ideal scoring suggestions for goalies in a ten-team, 11 player keep league on Yahoo. If you have any decent links to articles to share that would be great as well!

Our stats counted are as follows:
    GS, W, L, GA, SV, SO

I don't want goalies to be too undervalued nor overpowered so I'm trying to find a happy medium.
    Any point suggestions for those categories? Or should I include the only other option which is Shots Against (SA)?

Thanks in advance! (and sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Scoring Settings Suggestions for Goalies.

Points for stats are soo hard to determine in league. I always go into ESPN and set up the league... then I set the scoring and play around with goalie stats until they are where I want them to be in comparison to the top skaters.

I always look at last years stats and see where players would have been point wise in comparison to the top goalies.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I always look at last years stats and see where players would have been point wise in comparison to the top goalies.
    That's what I'm currently doing. I just don't think that the top goalie last year (holtby) be below 6 other skaters, and then another 6-7 players before you get to the second goalie on the list of top points.

Any thoughts on the ideal ratio for a top ten? I imagine 5 and 5 isn't possible but something like 3 goalies to 7 skaters?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrSteveBrule View Post
    That's what I'm currently doing. I just don't think that the top goalie last year (holtby) be below 6 other skaters, and then another 6-7 players before you get to the second goalie on the list of top points.

Any thoughts on the ideal ratio for a top ten? I imagine 5 and 5 isn't possible but something like 3 goalies to 7 skaters?
    for top 10 players in a league? I would say 8 and 2... but its always difficult to make stats work that way... cause you always have a season like Holtby or Kane to deal with which makes it difference.

I always try to get it so that the top goalie is a percentage or 2 higher in total points than the highest scoring forward.

Example I would try to get Holtby to be 100 fantasy points from prior season.... then I would try to get Kane to be around 97-98 fantasy points... then it seems to work out with the mixture of the remaining goalies.

just cause Holtby has the most fantasy points does not mean he is the most valuable player as most goalies will be on average a bit higher than skaters.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DrSteveBrule View Post
    Just wondering on thoughts on ideal scoring suggestions for goalies in a ten-team, 11 player keep league on Yahoo. If you have any decent links to articles to share that would be great as well!

Our stats counted are as follows:
    GS, W, L, GA, SV, SO

I don't want goalies to be too undervalued nor overpowered so I'm trying to find a happy medium.
    Any point suggestions for those categories? Or should I include the only other option which is Shots Against (SA)?

Thanks in advance! (and sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in)
    How many scoring categories are there? If you do not want goalies to be too overpowered then do not make them have between 40%-60% of the categories. Ex. 11 scoring categories but 5 are for goalies.
    Also I would have at least 2 starter spots minimum with 10 teams, that way if you have Price you are not unbeatable.

For goalies I always prefer SV% over GAA as GAA is more team based than goalie performance based. Ex. 50 shots against 3 goals vs a goalie with 1 goal against on 13 shots. You'd lose GAA with your goalie playing much better.
    If you add just SV's people may hoard goalies to get a ton of saves for the week, and if you add GS in there it will be more quantity over quality.

I would go W, SV%, SV, SO. And then add L in there if you want to give minuses for losses. And if you make 4-5 G categories have like 8-12 skater categories on top of that.

Hope I helped
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    How many scoring categories are there? If you do not want goalies to be too overpowered then do not make them have between 40%-60% of the categories. Ex. 11 scoring categories but 5 are for goalies.
    Also I would have at least 2 starter spots minimum with 10 teams, that way if you have Price you are not unbeatable.
    The league currently has 12 skater scoring categories, and teams have to play 2 goalies with the current categories mentioned previously. I guess there's no ideal way to do this, I'll keep playing around thanks for the input!

Dobber Sports Titan

I would just take out losses. It's not a very common stat in leagues that I have seen, plus it just compounds on wins. Might be easier to mess around with the goalie stats without an additional category.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Genius

W, gaa, sv%, so
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"