Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: 2016/17 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: 2016/17 Rocky Horror Roto Show

Nobody else showed up for the winter GM meetings in Kitchener.

Dobber Sports Icon

Hey Brandon, can we get a standings update posted? Just want some documentation that I'm in 2nd place this late in the season haha. Pretty sure this is the highest I've been ranked halfway through the year in the six seasons the RHRS has been running.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Hey Brandon, can we get a standings update posted? Just want some documentation that I'm in 2nd place this late in the season haha. Pretty sure this is the highest I've been ranked halfway through the year in the six seasons the RHRS has been running.
    Sorry didn't get a chance to do this before. You could've stayed there at least a couple days!

The Wolverine

Trade today:

James van Riemsdyk Tor - LW
    P.K. Subban Nsh - D
    Jake Allen StL - G

Traded to 28 Hayes Later

John Carlson Was - D
    Martin Jones SJ - G

Traded to The Kings in Yellow

Dobber Sports Demi-God

[knowing that horrorfan to be posting standings later today]

Nightmarians Team Review @ ASB.

8th... 8th.
    If you had told me at the start of the season that I'd be in 8th place... I would've been absolutely crushed.
    Oddly, I'm probably happier with my team right now than at any point in the season.
    I really like my chances for top three, with outside shot at 1st/2nd - if league keeps leaders in check.

Reviewing Picks
    Price(1)/Giroux(2). I would go so far as to call the Carey Price pick at #11 as "the most important pick of the draft". If I pass on Price at 11, he goes to Temek at 12... and Temek, with Price, would be destroying us all... again. Instead, he went with Schneider who has had a brutal year behind a terrible NJ team defense. Its a good thing I took Giroux because he's my only top 50 PPP producer. That said, he +/-, along with many PHI players, has been an absolute drain there. I also would have preferred Buff/Giroux, but the Price pick saved the league from another runaway... so I'm good with that.

Bergeron(3)/Stamkos(4). Bergeron was absolutely horrible in Oct/Nov and has been absolutely brilliant in Dec/Jan. The good news is the latter part. He's a top 25 fantasy skater, IMO, in FOW leagues... and he's shown it over the last 60 days. (Yahoo "Current" #4 over "Last 30 Days"). The slow start was just bad fortune and I'm glad its passed. I made an awful trade in early season by taking on N.Backstrom & Faulk for Stamkos/EJ. Funny thing is... I was trying to boost my PPP, which is... LAST. The good fortune was that both Stamkos & EJ got injured, so I avoided that, but I may have been better off with those guys injured!!! Stamkos was incredible for his 18 or 19gp he played. I flipped NickBack for Pat Kane, and that has been great for G/SOG improvement... but Faulk stinks. I've passed on him in every past year on the abysmal Canes team - and caved to the forums opinions that he was an underrated fantasy asset. Nope, Faulk stinks. Aside from solid offense, he's been a big minus and really isn't producing enough HIT/BLK from what I like in my D-men.

Toews(5)/Larkin(6). Yuck and super-duper-yuck. Toews, at least, is good for dependable +/- and FOW. His offense has been down, especially with Hossa sidelined and being forced to play with kids like Hartman and Vinnie. Larkin was given C2 duties by DET to start the year and just stunk. He continues to stink. Another +/- drain... with only one decent stat being SOG. Just a total miss at these two picks. I held Larkin way too long. And even since I've dropped him, Larkin has been still awful.

Muzzin(7)/Marchand(8). Muzzin has been garbage. For what I drafted him for - a real letdown. He's been outplayed this year by LA's D3, Alec Martinez, and even LA's D4, Derek Forbort. He's come around lately, but still a disappointment. I like to double-down on team investments and was excited Marchand was there, who I own in two other leagues! What a player! Top 10 in fantasy!!!

Seabrook(9)/Suter(10). I decided this year that the only way I could compete in this league was to invest in some offense on D. Hence, Muzzin, Seabrook, Suter at 7/9/10. Turns out that all three are underperformers in HIT/BLK because they are used for PP time. Suter has been a solid producer, but is way under-clip at HIT/BLK. Seabrook/Muzzin are also average in HIT/BLK. Whereas I usually dominate BLK with my late-D-drafting... I tried an offensive-tact this year and it has basically forced me to accept that the best I'll do in BLK is 4th last (4pts). Ugh.

Niskanen(11)/EJ(12). Same as above, just trying to get some offense. EJ is actually a terrific HIT/BLK player. He probably would've been another drain on +/-, but who knows with the injury. I think I traded Niskanen away, can't remember.

E.Lindholm(13)/M.Smith(14). Lindholm has been a Larkin clone. Just a complete failure when put at center by his team. I held him longer than I should have.

Ehlers(15)/Hertl(16). Probably my best pair of late-picks. Hertl DID, as I forecasted, get wing-eligibility... and he'll be solid there, especially if he gets play top two lines. Ehlers has probably been one of my best picks ever. This one I credit to several forum members, especially Axeman, and I really expected Ehlers to have a big Year2 breakout with the need for WPG wingers. Great player with a TON of SOG - which is a category I vowed to target heavier this year than usual.

Lehtonen(17)/Niemi(18). "I can't quit you". I drafted the DAL duo last year, then went back to the well this year. These guys are terrible, especially in maxGP roto... where they get pulled often. Flipping them for a just-back-from-injury Jack Eichel was probably one of my better trades in my history of RHRS. These guys basically cannibalized any benefit of Carey Price, pulling my GAA/SV% both down to 2nd last within the last week. Since I traded them away two weeks ago, they've been even more awful than awful. In fact, the main reason I'm so optimistic about the last 1/3rd of the season is that these guys are OFF my roster and I expect a slow uptick in GAA/SV%. Especially SV%, is tight from 4th-11th, so there's a lot ground to be made up, if I play it right. Oh - and of course, Jack Eichel is now ON my team, a guy that has been top 10 in SOG/gp over past 30 days.

The rest: J.Jokinen, Hossa, Orpik, Beleskey, M.Tkachuk, Bollig, R.Strome.
    I dropped all of these guys within the first 2 months.
    The one that got away... Matthew Tkachuk, who I believe is a top 75 skater.

Overall summary:
    I made two adjustments to my strategy this year, both hurting my standings:
    1. I forced myself to get more points, by drafting some PP D. Turns out, I'm still last in PPP, so I should've just stayed with my tried & true method of value-drafting D for HIT/BLK.
    2. I drafted Price when he was left on the board. Everybody knows this isn't my preferred strategy, but I really thought I couldn't leave him on the board.

There's sort of two tacts to winning this league, with Temek.
    1. If there is really good league balance, I can pull off a win if we keep Temek close to the pack. It just so happens, that has been the case this year... but my team isn't set up like usual (to win all peripherals).
    2. If the league isn't holding Temek in check, then a team MUST have him within chasing distance in offensive categories. This is how I drafted my team this year, but I must face it - offensive scorer focus isn't my strong point.

We'll see what the last 1/3rd of the season holds.
    I forecast a maximum upside as follows:
    Skaters (83pts)
    Goalies (32pts)
    TOTAL 115pts. *As per recent league standings, this has a 50/50 shot of being enough to win the league... if we keep Temek in check.

He'll be a hunted category man in last third of season.
    We'll see if somebody can reel him in.

(Shout out to LOTR - who has been the league's leader for most of the season. He has the bad fortune of having a goalie squad that is really low in SV/gp. I hate SV in maxGP, because SV/gp rate always feels a bit "lucky"/"unlucky" to me. Like it just simply isn't a GMs fault if his goalie doesn't get to face a lot of shots. I think he had the best draft, considering Subban has been injured & Allen has been a disappointment. A lot of good really value picks, like Carter, Zucc, Koivu, Edler, Turris, Coyle, Rakell, and Provorov. Just wow. Oh - and looking at his team... that's where Matthew Tkachuk landed... 54th overall per Yahoo for the year. Ugh.)

Note to Self:
    G: 111p, 53r, 176p, +12 (Jan 27, 2017)

The Wolverine

Thanks for sharing, Peng.

For me, briefly as I don't have much time now, is that I fell into a hole offensively and whenever they bounce back, some of them struggle again. Too inconsistent. At times I think I can get back into the top half and then the team brings me back down again. If I finish top half, it'll be a success for me.

As for the standings, I'm not sure when yet but do plan on this weekend sometime. (I update this one with all the Dobber leagues so need a bit more time to do them all)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Great post - thanks for sharing. Was going through my ASB assessment/review this week too and I recognized I needed to make a change to address some weak areas in my roster - primarily my biggest area of concern in my goaltending situation. Holtby has been what I expected and no issues there but both Allen and Hellebuyck have been inconsistent to say the least. I need stability / consistency to stay in the top 3 and feel that the deal for Jones will help me. I gave up some assets but I have pretty good depth, particularly at LW where I have many interchangeable parts, so I could afford the premium to lock down my goaltending need. Carlson will help in a number of areas and lessens the pain of losing Subban (given he hasn't exactly been elite this year). Lot's of movement in the standings and the next few months will be interesting!

Received: Martin Jones, John Carlson
    Traded: Jake Allen, PK Subban, JVR

- - - Updated - - -

Great post - thanks for sharing. Was going through my ASB assessment/review this week too and I recognized I needed to make a change to address some weak areas in my roster - primarily my biggest area of concern in my goaltending situation. Holtby has been what I expected and no issues there but both Allen and Hellebuyck have been inconsistent to say the least. I need stability / consistency to stay in the top 3 and feel that the deal for Jones will help me. I gave up some assets but I have pretty good depth, particularly at LW where I have many interchangeable parts, so I could afford the premium to lock down my goaltending need. Carlson will help in a number of areas and lessens the pain of losing Subban (given he hasn't exactly been elite this year). Lot's of movement in the standings and the next few months will be interesting!

Received: Martin Jones, John Carlson
    Traded: Jake Allen, PK Subban, JVR
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

The Wolverine

Standings update - January 29, 2017:

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Note to Self:
    G: 111p, 53r, 176p, +12 (Jan 27, 2017)
    G: 111p, 53r, 176p, +12 (Jan 31, 2017)

*i.e.: The maxGP counter DOES pause during ASG break.
    1(Jan)+28(Feb)+31(Mar)+9(Apr) = 69 days of NHL hockey remaining.

21/28gp from Price(MON)
    23/31gp from M.Smith(ARI)
    ---
    44 from Price/M.Smith... 10 from the bench (Coreau, Markstrom, Nilsson, Kinkaid, + WW)

21/28gp from Price(MON)
    23/31gp from M.Smith(ARI)
    ---
    44 from Price/M.Smith... 10 from the bench (Coreau, Markstrom, Nilsson, Kinkaid, + WW)

The Wolverine

Trade:

Jakob Silfverberg Anh - RW
    Zach Parise Min - LW

Traded to 28 Hayes Later

Milan Lucic Edm - LW
    Henrik Sedin Van - C

Traded to Maaaaaa-chete

The Wolverine

Another trade:

Cam Fowler Anh - D
    Jonathan Drouin TB - LW,RW

Traded to Maaaaaa-chete

Brandon Dubinsky Cls - C
    Traded to SHARPNADO

The Wolverine

Another trade:

Elias Lindholm Car - C,RW
    Traded to Maaaaaa-chete

Rick Nash NYR - LW,RW
    Traded to Cannibal Staalocaust

The Wolverine

Another trade:

Marc-Edouard Vlasic SJ - D

Jean-Francois Berube NYI - G
    Traded to SHARPNADO

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Another trade:

Marc-Edouard Vlasic SJ - D

Jean-Francois Berube NYI - G
    Traded to SHARPNADO
    Thanks for the blockbuster Brandon, pleasure doing business with you
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Thanks for the blockbuster Brandon, pleasure doing business with you
    No problem. I'm thinking about that other big deal we discussed, which I believe involved your veteran bag of pucks and my rookie zamboni driver. However, I am willing to negotiate.