Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo position eligibility 2016/17

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Yahoo position eligibility 2016/17

Didn't Jeff Carter used to have three forward positions? Or was it someone else? I was pretty sure Carter used to be listed as C/LW/RW.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Didn't Jeff Carter used to have three forward positions? Or was it someone else? I was pretty sure Carter used to be listed as C/LW/RW.
    Pretty sure Carter has been C/RW for at least a season or two. Could have been a LW/C/RW a couple of seasons ago, I don't remember. Nyqvist, Forsberg, Pavelski and Sharp are the most relevant guys that had all three positions in the last two years off the top of my head.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Pro

Not Carter (not last season anyway). Toffoli was C/LW/RW... is C/RW now.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

99% sure it wasn't Carter

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by tomastop View Post
    Not Carter (not last season anyway). Toffoli was C/LW/RW... is C/RW now.
    Good call. Forgot about Toffoli
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Guru

Thanks all. I looked back through my mock drafts. Carter was all three in 2013, but not since.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Icon

I'm really happy to see the positional eligibility cut back this year. It's gotten out of hand the last couple of years for sure. Really shifts player values around though. Going to be a lot more thought put into my draft rankings this year. I feel bad for anyone who traded for a C with winger eligibility this offseason.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    I'm really happy to see the positional eligibility cut back this year. It's gotten out of hand the last couple of years for sure. Really shifts player values around though. Going to be a lot more thought put into my draft rankings this year. I feel bad for anyone who traded for a C with winger eligibility this offseason.
    For sure, especially in FOW roto.
    It's going to be interesting to see where Ryan O'Reilly goes in RHRS... he's a borderline 3rd/4th round pick with him being the last 900+ FOW wing-eligible player.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see where Ryan O'Reilly goes in RHRS... he's a borderline 3rd/4th round pick with him being the last 900+ FOW wing-eligible player.
    I was just thinking the same thing... him and Mack will definitely jump up a couple of rounds this year. I'm pretty interested to see how far guys like Giroux and Johnasen fall now too.

Another interesting wrinkle is, which of these players are likely to be given additional positional eligibility through the season and how does that affect their draft position? Yahoo has been pretty liberal adding eligibility mid-season the last few years.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Same with Mika Zibanejad. He's got a good chance to get 800-plus faceoff wins and you can slot him at right wing. The Rangers top faceoff guys last year for wins: Brassard had 676. Then Stepan had 515, Stoll had 481 (combined with Minny, I was too lazy to split them up) and Moore had 476.

Brassard is now in Ottawa, Stoll has been off the team for nine months and Moore is a free agent. There's a very good chance Zibs gets a lot of faceoffs this year.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'll probably take a shot or two over this, but:

It's FANTASY hockey, i.e., it's not real. Don't get me wrong: I think Yahoo! had gotten a little ridiculous throwing around additional position eligibility but one of the interesting aspects of fantasy hockey from a strategy perspective is it doesn't have to adhere to real life.

I don't like the fact that they've removed winger eligibility from a lot of "true" centres especially because it's going to increase the value of centres who win a lot of face-offs. Giroux's value was probably inflated with a C/RW eligibility, but he, and maybe ROR last year, were the exceptions. After him, the two players with far and away the best face-off win numbers year after year were Bergeron and Toews. If you lost out on them at a draft, then you could still chase guys like Kesler or Dubinsky at the draft, slot them in at RW and LW respectively, and still be competitive with an opponent who had the top face-off winners in the game.

That said, C/LW/RW eligibility is ridiculous and I'm happy to see that Yahoo! appears to have done away with it. I'd like to see more guys with LW/RW eligibility (like Simmonds! C'mon Yahoo!... ) I guess we'll see how it all shakes out.
    WINNER! WINNER! CHICKEN DINNER! (2006, 2011, 2015)
    Yahoo! Limited Keeper (Keep 1C, 1LW, 1RW, 1D, 1G annually; no player is permitted to be protected as a keeper for a period longer than three consecutive years) 10-team H2H League/Daily Starts (# in brackets)
    Centre (2): Scheifele, Seguin, Toews
    Right Wing (2): Laine (LW/RW) Lindholm (C/RW), Gallagher
    Left Wing (2): Tkachuk, Mantha (LW/RW), Lee, Gusev
    Defense (4): Ristolainen, Doughty, Gustafsson, Gostisbehere, Byfuglien
    Utility (1): Haula (C/LW)
    Goalie (2): Andersen, Dubnyk, Raanta
    IR:
    Skater Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PPP, PIMS, SOG, FOW, Hits, BKS
    Goalie Stats: W, SV%, GAA, SO

Dobber Sports Titan

I’m only upset that Giroux is no longer a RW because I own him and Stamkos. My Center slot is locked up now.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sophomore

does FHG update position eligibility when we choose the yahoo setting? this would change up the rankings quite a bit.
    Yahoo 12 Team H2H - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 1UTIL, 3BN, 1IR+
    G, A, PIM, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV, SV%
    C: Backstrom, Barzal, Zetterberg
    LW: Schenn, Couture, Tkachuk
    RW: Tarasenko, Voracek, R.Smith, Dadonov
    D: Karlsson, Josi, Carlson, Rielly
    G: Smith, Raanta, Howard
    IR+: Barrie

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The FHG manager is pretty sharp.
    He'll have it updated very soon, I'm certain.
    I do believe it involves manual data alteration of each players position though.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I did a position comparison in excel comparing last year's positions to this year positions (attached for those who want to see it).

Important to note is that at the close of last year Yahoo had 1632 skaters in their system while as of right now there are only 677 skaters. So lots more players to be added.

My timing is very bad because I just finished drafting a deep keeper team using last years positions and have now found that I don't have anywhere near the team I thought I did. I thought I had outsmarted the system but sticking players like Couture and Carter in winger slots. Turns out I just have a pile of centres.

Oh, and I think it was Joe Pavelski not Jeff Carter people were thinking about being C,LW,RW last year.
    Attached Files Attached Files