Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What would be your strategy in this 1 year league (all pts)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: What would be your strategy in this 1 year league (all pts)

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Not for me.
    I'm not a goalie person anyways.

Go back in past years and look at "the top goalie", Price 44w (2015), Varly 41w (2014), Niemi/Lundqvist/Backstrom 43w (2013), Price/Lu 38w (2011)... its just not a repeatable feat.
    Expect Holtby to come back to 40w, 5so... That's 85pts.

Or, again, you can just draft Mike Smith in Round 11 and get 25w, 3so... 53pts.

32pts less, Round 1 vs. Round 11

Crosby, meanwhile, is a 85pt guy - yes. Round 1.
    What do you think you'll get in Round 11... that's 20g, 30d, 90f... into the draft.
    NHL Forward #90 scores about 50pts.

35pts less, Round 1 vs. Round 11
    Yup, I'm with you on that. Value draft a quality starter if you can. I just wouldn't want to wait too long and end up with it being the same kind of Niemi/Hammond situation that your last place guy had last year.

On other points,
    -I never pay more for fantasy hockey than I am willing to pay for the experience. I still end up winning money, but it's a bonus, it's not expected.
    -Interesting that your first place guy only had one goalie. It is a valid strategy, and apparently it works, just probably not the one I would hedge on. (Also as much as I think I may know things, not sure I could ever beat P7 in this kind of debate )
    -Tough having the lottery so soon before you start, but it just means you have to have your full draft list prepared, and be ready for any eventuality.
    -Doubling down is great for this kind of thing, but doesn't work every time, a la Wheeler/Ladd, Schwartz/Tarasenko, Voracek/Giroux, Couture/Pavelski pairs of last year. Just because one has a good season doesn't guarantee the other one does.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Monster

For once I would like a top 5 pick lol. Highest ive ever drafted in my 6 years is 8th while my brother has selected 1st THREE TIMES...yes THREE .... and 2nd overall once. Unreal lol

Dobber Sports Titan

I don't know if first is a good thing in a 24 team snake draft. I would much prefer a pick in the 10-15 range.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I don't know if first is a good thing in a 24 team snake draft. I would much prefer a pick in the 10-15 range.
    yeah, you may be right. i hear other managers say they rather have middle of the pack selection. which is understandable

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    For once I would like a top 5 pick lol. Highest ive ever drafted in my 6 years is 8th while my brother has selected 1st THREE TIMES...yes THREE .... and 2nd overall once. Unreal lol
    Have you nicknamed him "Oiler" yet?

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by AngelicAssassin0 View Post
    Have you nicknamed him "Oiler" yet?
    lol i always bug him about being so lucky. id tell him that he wins the draft lottery and nothing else but he has won the league once in 6 years and cashed 2nd, 3rd, 4th respectively.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

In a "best ball" league like this where you don't submit rosters but have weekly results, injury prone guys usually don't hurt too much, because of a deep bench. Here they hurt a lot, due to the shallow bench, and what I think is simply season-long points accumulation. Only 3 reserves really, hurts.

I'd definitely goalies who are a Lundquist type - no crease sharing. I think he might be the guy I'd target, actually. I'd want a second, but that's the guy you hedge your bets with.

I'd probably avoid picking a stud defender early, because you only start 2. You could get a great edge with 2 elite defenseman, but I'm not sure it's quite worth it.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.