Thread: World Cup of Hockey Odds - Will Canada get it done? Or will there be a surprise?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default World Cup of Hockey Odds - Will Canada get it done? Or will there be a surprise?

A friend of mine wrote this up. I thought the props were fun. I personally think Sweden should be higher, but maybe that's just me.

World Cup of Hockey Odds

Let me know what you think.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: World Cup of Hockey Odds - Will Canada get it done? Or will there be a surprise?

Team NA should be higher. I think they will be underestimated by a lot of teams/people.
    12/11 is a crazy stake to set though.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Default Re: World Cup of Hockey Odds - Will Canada get it done? Or will there be a surprise?

I could see a Canada v Team North America final....
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    I could see a Canada v Team North America final....
    That's what I'm hoping for
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Master

The existence of Team NA, makes Canada's odds at winning lower than the Olympics. I think they are still favorites, but not a lock. My heart thinks they will most definitely win but I wouldn't bet my left nut or anything.

Dobber Sports Giant

I think team North America vs Canada will be the final.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Titan

I think team Sweden is going to be a solid team. Their D core is ridiculous. Ekholm, OEL, Hedman, Hjalmarsson, Karlsson, Stralman, Kronwall (now Lindholm). And their powerplay is going to be ridiculous with EK, Backstrom, Sedins, Landeskog, Zetts, Horny, and Forsberg involved.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Star

Agree that Canada are the favorites, but team NA and Sweden looks good too.

I'll be rooting for the young guys, they'll be fun to watch.

Dobber Sports Master

Me too. I like the idea of team NA. I wanna see what the kids can do against the vets. Usually they aren't put in a crunch situation at this level. Now, its all kids so its gonna be interesting to see how they perform.

Dobber Sports Stud

Canada at 12/11 is just silly. And Russia at the second best odds doesn't make much sense.

I'd say:
    Canada 2/1
    USA 4/1
    U23 25/2
    Sweden 14/1
    Russia 20/1
    Everyone else are basically irrelevant.

Canada is ridiculous. Elite G, enough top centers for 3 teams so they dont need wingers. And their D is so strong.

The Americans D is almost as strong as the Canadians. Their goalies are basically even to Canada. But their forwards aren't even close.

The U23 will be the best to watch. But their goalies are still young. D is awesome but still too inexperienced to face the elite forwards of Canada. But their forwards will be awesome.

Sweden has 3 ridiculously good D and then some decent depth. Goalies are ok, the King is still the king. But he's not the same guy anymore. Their forwards are good, but no better than the teams above.

Russia has no defense. Goalies are shaky. And they have elite forwards that don't play as a team. Not worried about them.

The rest will get killed.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
    Canada at 12/11 is just silly. And Russia at the second best odds doesn't make much sense.

I'd say:
    Canada 2/1
    USA 4/1
    U23 25/2
    Sweden 14/1
    Russia 20/1
    Everyone else are basically irrelevant.

Canada is ridiculous. Elite G, enough top centers for 3 teams so they dont need wingers. And their D is so strong.

The Americans D is almost as strong as the Canadians. Their goalies are basically even to Canada. But their forwards aren't even close.

The U23 will be the best to watch. But their goalies are still young. D is awesome but still too inexperienced to face the elite forwards of Canada. But their forwards will be awesome.

Sweden has 3 ridiculously good D and then some decent depth. Goalies are ok, the King is still the king. But he's not the same guy anymore. Their forwards are good, but no better than the teams above.

Russia has no defense. Goalies are shaky. And they have elite forwards that don't play as a team. Not worried about them.

The rest will get killed.
    I don't disagree with your rankings, but for the "irrelevant" teams, you can never count out Finland, they seem to find a way to excell in these kind of tournaments.

Dobber Sports Stud

Sure then give:

Finland 30/1
    Europe 40/1
    Czech 50/1

Not like they really matter anyway.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Superstar

I agree with Canada at 12/11 (although really just say even money). They are the odds on favourites having won the last 2 Olympics and having the most stacked roster, the NA team really only costs them 1 player (McDavid and frankly he wouldn't have been a lock for Team Canada), unlike the USA who probably loses a few players. I think Canada vs. the field is a fair bet so fine odds.

Russia is god awful outside of a few top end forwards and does not deserve to have 2nd best odds.

Ranked I like them: Canada, Sweden, USA, Team NA, Finland, Russia, Europe, Czech Republic.
    Canada 1:1
    Sweden 4:1
    USA 10:1
    Team NA 12:1
    Finland 15:1
    Russia 30:1
    Europe 30:1
    Czech Republic 50:1

The format (Best of 3 Finals) means that the semi-finals will be very important as they are the only must-win game. I see a Canada v. Sweden Finals myself.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

20 years later, USA wins again.. 1996/2016
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

The Great One

I intend to go to a game or two at the ACC. And think it will be fun to watch. But does anyone really care who wins? With the young guns separated out, it's not like it's really a Team Canada or USA. The country distinction in this tournament is absolutely meaningless to me.