Thread: Statcast technology to have life in hockey?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Statcast technology to have life in hockey?

I'm sure as most know by now MLB uses statcast to measure exit velocity off batted balls in play. Exit velocity on HR's and such.

Will the NHL see this new measurable stat incorporated into its "scoring lingo" in the near future??

Such as exit velo off a shot? For example they track this stat in the skills competition on hardest shot but then for the most part it's not really recorded or used much as everyday lingo data in the NHL. Velo from stick to the back of the net on a goal? Etc Etc

Example. Last night Addison Russell of the Cubs made an amazing play in the hole on 110mph exit velo hot smash off the bat of Will Myers.

Would it even matter to NHL teams / players / scouts etc??

Just as a fan, for me I enjoy seeing / knowing the velo's on specific statcast measurables. I find it interesting. I do believe some scouts / teams in MLB measure this stat to help them scout and determine future potentials.

Just curious of everyone's thoughts around this.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Statcast technology to have life in hockey?

Maybe that could help quantify why Kessel is so good
    I could see it being a bit of an additional stat for some, but not gaining much traction all in all.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Statcast technology to have life in hockey?

You might be right but I think we might see this trend come to fruition at some point. They are " testing" some measurables in the World Cup of Hockey next month. So I think if anything it's on their minds to test a few things out. Just wonder if it takes hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Maybe that could help quantify why Kessel is so good
    I could see it being a bit of an additional stat for some, but not gaining much traction all in all.