Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Fatigue League Discussion Thread

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Fatigue League Discussion Thread

There will be an update tomorrow, including stats and the way ahead for the WJHC and Spengler Cup drafts.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I would agree with capermac in the World Junior Draft Thread, that the picks for today should not be made until the allotted time. This does not allow for guys that have missed some picks to catch up.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I would agree with capermac in the World Junior Draft Thread, that the picks for today should not be made until the allotted time. This does not allow for guys that have missed some picks to catch up.
    Agreed.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I sent an email to everyone reminding them not to make their picks ahead of the draft schedule unless ALL of the picks ahead of them were taken. One guy forgot and another followed suit. Shouldn't be an issue going forward.

Dobber Sports Ninja

All the picks are in for both the Spengler Cup and World Junior Hockey Championship drafts.

Puck drops in 5 mins and I think we've got the injuries and last minute cuts sorted out. Best of luck to everyone!! Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season...now, time for some hockey!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Some thoughts as we hit the halfway point.

First of all, huge thanks for running this Comish. It's a massive workload that hopefully we can take a part of next year to lighten the load.

Some ideas for next year:

I think it might not be a bad idea to weight certain parts of the league differently than others. For example, having the Spengler Cup or World Jrs be worth the same amount as the full season leagues feels a little off since there is such a greater amount of luck involved. There would have to be some thought given as to how exactly to weight the leagues, but if the shorter tournaments (Spengler/WJHC/World Cup) were given 25% points, and the playoffs for the various leagues were given a 50% weighting, then it might even out some of the luck factor that is inherent in those shorter events. On the other hand, given that this truly is just a fun league (though a heck of a lot of work!) maybe having a high dose of luck involved isn't such a bad thing either. I'm not sure which way is best. Something to think on.

It should be interesting to see how the redraft shakes down. I suspect it should be a way of tightening up the standings in a lot of the leagues since most of us typically have a couple dead weight players that will be replaced pretty easily. I can't say too much on it yet until I see exactly how it might effect things, though I do wonder if there might be cases where a team would want to opt out of dropping a player if they have that option.

Also, just on a fun note, it might be cool to have a divisional champions of a sort. So find out who is winning in just the Euro Leagues, Jr Leagues, smaller tournaments, and NHL/AHL. Could be very interesting to see if certain people do better in specific leagues as we move forward from season to season.

I like the point that doulos made about potential to opt out of dropping a player. Have it so that people can decide whether they want to drop 0, 1 or 2 players.

My reasoning is.... the initial draft should have the emphasis put on it... and if someone drafts 10 players that are doing really well and picks a couple high-risk high reward players in the last couple rounds.... then he should get a benefit for that. The person that is in first in a league has done well with the initial draft and then has to drop 2 players who he drafted. And since he did so well in the initial draft and all 10 of his players are doing well, then he will be in first and have the last pick in both of the two re-draft rounds. I think that there should be some benefit for having drafted the best initial team. And that the redraft should be used for other teams to be able to try and catch up.

Example 1st place team has 10 players that have 30 points, then he will be dropping two 30 point players.

Last place team has a couple 50 point scorers, but then also has 2 players that got demoted, cut, injured and only have 10 points in the league.... he is going to be able to replace his two players that are hugely underperforming with at least one 30 point scorer from the 1st place team.

Dobber Sports Icon

I agree with this. For instance in the KHL draft, I had to drop 2 forwards who are in the top 60 in the league in scoring. We have 64 forwards drafted in that league so I am not likely to make my team better in the re-draft and there's a chance that I lose both of those guys.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I like the point that doulos made about potential to opt out of dropping a player. Have it so that people can decide whether they want to drop 0, 1 or 2 players.

My reasoning is.... the initial draft should have the emphasis put on it... and if someone drafts 10 players that are doing really well and picks a couple high-risk high reward players in the last couple rounds.... then he should get a benefit for that. The person that is in first in a league has done well with the initial draft and then has to drop 2 players who he drafted. And since he did so well in the initial draft and all 10 of his players are doing well, then he will be in first and have the last pick in both of the two re-draft rounds. I think that there should be some benefit for having drafted the best initial team. And that the redraft should be used for other teams to be able to try and catch up.

Example 1st place team has 10 players that have 30 points, then he will be dropping two 30 point players.

Last place team has a couple 50 point scorers, but then also has 2 players that got demoted, cut, injured and only have 10 points in the league.... he is going to be able to replace his two players that are hugely underperforming with at least one 30 point scorer from the 1st place team.
    I don't mind the idea of opting to drop 0, 1 or 2 players, however, the whole point is to help the bottom teams a little and bring everyone a little closer to the pack. It's not meant to protect the leader's bottom 2 players.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I agree with this. For instance in the KHL draft, I had to drop 2 forwards who are in the top 60 in the league in scoring. We have 64 forwards drafted in that league so I am not likely to make my team better in the re-draft and there's a chance that I lose both of those guys.
    That's exactly the point.

That said, I am open to what you guys are saying. If we do this again next year, I'll be bringing this issue up and see what the consensus is.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Prodigy

What about opening AHL pool to drop 3 players, we have 12 players vice 10 in the rest of the pools?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by capermac19 View Post
    What about opening AHL pool to drop 3 players, we have 12 players vice 10 in the rest of the pools?
    I'd be open to looking at changing the rules for next to dropping up to 3 players.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Before I make my pick in the SHL redraft, the Aho that I redrafted is a d-man isn't he?

I'll also let Mercs repick in the Swiss draft before proceeding.

Additionally Emil Pettersson on Mercs' SHL roster should have 20 points, no 12 I think. Due to him being traded.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Before I make my pick in the SHL redraft, the Aho that I redrafted is a d-man isn't he?

I'll also let Mercs repick in the Swiss draft before proceeding.

Additionally Emil Pettersson on Mercs' SHL roster should have 20 points, no 12 I think. Due to him being traded.
    Yep, Aho is a D-man.

I love playoff drafts!!

Question....

When do we plan on starting the NHL and AHL playoff drafts.

Noticed the NHL draft is 12 rounds.... is there any chance we will start early enough to get the draft done before playoff action starts??

And when will we know the draft order for these guys? I am starting to make my lists for these drafts....