Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who are some good Buy-Low Goalies to Target if I want to Be Competitive in 3-4 Years?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Who are some good Buy-Low Goalies to Target if I want to Be Competitive in 3-4 Years?

I've got a young team and am looking for a few names of prospect goalies who could be relevant (i.e. starters) in the next 3-4 years. I'm looking for less obvious options since guys like Vasi and Helly have already seen their value increase far beyond their actual resumes in my league. Thoughts?
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Who are some good Buy-Low Goalies to Target if I want to Be Competitive in 3-4 Years?

Depends on the type of league for buy low goalies...

If it is a keeper league.. prospects like Hellebuyck, Murray, Vasileskiy will not be considered buy low. So if it is for the league in your signature...

I would suggest goalies that were high-end prospects that have not blown people away in early years of their career.

The first two that are buy low candidate that come to mind are Markstrom from Vancouver and Lack from Carolina.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Who are some good Buy-Low Goalies to Target if I want to Be Competitive in 3-4 Years?

Very low might be Sorokin, Husso, Saros, Jarry etc.
    This is probably the last year to get Talbot before EDM steps it up. Same thing with Andersen and Toronto the season after.
    Allen has the full crease now, so there is probably a slight increase in workload there.
    Reimer should also be the full starter in Fla, if not by the end of this season. Then very likely next season.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Sorokin and Samsonov are your best bets. I'm expecting both of them to be playing in the NHL in 3-4 years.

Subban is also a good possibility if his value isn't too high at the moment.

Fucale and Blackwood also come to mind but 3-4 years is very short time with prospect goalies, so they might not even see NHL action by then. But in 3-4 years their value should be very high if they progress as expected.

Gillies and Husso are also good prospects but I think they're over-valued at the moment, so I wouldn't really target them in trades.

Dobber Sports Icon

There is a huge difference in value from most GMs to those GMs who are constantly on these forums. Just because someone is raved about on these forums does not necessarily mean that the GMs in your league have a clue who they are.

I would start with goalies like Hellebuyck and Vasilevski and Gibson in most leagues. If your league has much smarter GMs than the average league, then I would target names like Ville Husso, Thatcher Demko, Alex Lyon and Jon Gillies. These are all high end goalies with the potential to be NHL starters in your time frame.

Dobber Sports Stud

Thatcher Demko should get some love here as well.

Take a look at teams that are building the right way.. aka, stockpiling young talent. A goaltender within those systems is likely to grow up with a talented core and be a good bet to succeed. Hellebuyck the prime example but you're a year late to that party.

The other names mentioned before are all nice candidates to be starters in the next 3-5 years, but goalies are hard to gauge. Someone who doesn't get mentioned a lot is Anthony Stolarz. He's 6'7 and is a former 2nd round pick of the Flyers. He'll be another couple seasons, but he could be the guy to push Mason out of there potentially and the Flyers have some very nice building blocks in their prospect pipeline. Philly also just drafted Carter Hart who is a very accomplished WHL goaltender, but more like 5 years away.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Genius

If someone can tell you what a goalie prospect is going to do four years from now then they have a very special gift. I think you get as many of the goalies listed above and hope one of those guys gets lucky.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

The Great One

Pickard... For me similiar position to Vas and Helly but often overlooked...
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    I agree 100% with Sulla here. Backing up a streaky BAB is a pretty good way to start getting NHL experience. I'd also look at Jusse Saros for similar reasons. He's likely the heir to Rinne in Nashville, who look to be a highly competitive team for quite a few years to come.

Moses has it right too though, grab as many as you can and hope enough stick to end up as full time starters.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Another Pickard vote. I glazed over him on my list. Mistake on my part just going off the top of my head.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

another Pickard vote. Also another Markov in Van vote. I'm not sure Sorokin qualifies as a buy low after his stupid KHL season. Perhaps Berube in NYI - he has Greiss & Halak in front of him, but he could still bypass at least one this year. A deeper option is Ingram in NYI as well. Best G at their rookie camp last month.

A super deep pick Woll Toronto. Possibly even a UFA in a deep league. His status could climb significantly by Christmas if he wins the starting G job for USA at the WJC.

A more established buy low would be Lehner in Buffalo, horrible year - injury wise and a lot of people have given up on him for whatever reason. Andersen in Tor to a lesser extent, but lots of hype on Tor improving and getting better so I think he's on more radar's as a 2nd or 3rd G than Lehner.

We can throw in Domingue in Arz. & Korpisalo & Forsberg in Columbus or even Nedeljkovic in Carolina. He had a helluva year in the OHL and has no one long term in front of him on their depth charts - if he continues developing
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Guru

Just to add another name to the mix, I really like Alex Nedeljkovic in Carolina as a long-term option. I think he'll be a backup next season. And Carolina doesn't have great goaltending now. So he's in a great situation.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Just to add another name to the mix, I really like Alex Nedeljkovic in Carolina as a long-term option. I think he'll be a backup next season. And Carolina doesn't have great goaltending now. So he's in a great situation.
    See 4th paragraph of my post... added.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    See 4th paragraph of my post... added.
    Sorry, missed it first time around.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Sorry, missed it first time around.
    I agree though.. Ward will miss 40 games and Lack well.. can he put the spaghetti down long enough to play those 40 games? Nedelj is next.