Thread: Help with FA pick ups

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Help with FA pick ups

We just finished our early-ish draft last weekend and I'm wondering who, if any, of the free agents we may have skipped on drafting in our drunken state I should pick up once they clear waivers.

Roster rules:
    3C 6W 6D 2G 2Skt 4B, 2IR
    Max GP: 82 per slot
    6 man league

Points-based league:
    4 G, 2.5 A, 0.4 Hit&Block, 0.5 +/-, 0.25 SOG, 1 PPP, 1.25 SHP, FOW/FOL 0.1/-0.1

Current squad:
    C: Crosby, Kopitar, Malkin, Scheifele
    C/W: Johansen, O'Reilly
    W: Gaudreau, Simmonds, Marchand, Steen, Palmieri, Voracek, Drouin
    D: Byfuglien, Carlson, Hedman, Giordano, Faulk, Boychuk, Stralman
    G: Holtby, Price, Jones

I'm fine with the centers and goalies I managed to get, but my defenders and wingers seem a bit lackluster. On hindsight I should've really prioritized wingers more when making my choices.

Noteworthy players that went undrafted:
    W:
    D. Sedin
    E. Kane
    O. Palat
    M. Stone
    M. Hoffman
    M. Zuccarello
    T. Hertl
    B. Gallagher
    A. Ladd
    J. Eberle
    R. Nash

D:
    N. Leddy
    S. Jones
    M. Rielly
    M. Green
    A. Larsson
    C. Fowler
    A. Markov

Do you think any of the players above would be an improvement for the coming season? We have a limit of 20 claims per season as we're quite a casual league.

There's also a few quality centers available such as Eichel and T. Johnson. Would you pick them up in my situation?

Any help would be much appreciated! I'm still very much a novice when it comes to fantasy hockey. Thanks!

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Help with FA pick ups

The guys in your league must have been blackout drunk to have left some of those names on the board. You have a team that looks dominant so you must have been one of the least drunk.

It's a 6-team league so you will probably have a pretty nice group of FAs available at all times. With only 20 moves for the season you will need to be conservative early on, I would try to get Stone. I dont think your Ds are lackluster at all, none of the guys on FA look like better options. I think you might find a few wingers you could upgrade, but really only Stone sticks out as someone who can obviously upgrade you right now.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Peekaboo View Post
    We just finished our early-ish draft last weekend and I'm wondering who, if any, of the free agents we may have skipped on drafting in our drunken state I should pick up once they clear waivers.

Roster rules:
    3C 6W 6D 2G 2Skt 4B, 2IR
    Max GP: 82 per slot
    6 man league

Points-based league:
    4 G, 2.5 A, 0.4 Hit&Block, 0.5 +/-, 0.25 SOG, 1 PPP, 1.25 SHP, FOW/FOL 0.1/-0.1

Current squad:
    C: Crosby, Kopitar, Malkin, Scheifele
    C/W: Johansen, O'Reilly
    W: Gaudreau, Simmonds, Marchand, Steen, Palmieri, Voracek, Drouin
    D: Byfuglien, Carlson, Hedman, Giordano, Faulk, Boychuk, Stralman
    G: Holtby, Price, Jones

I'm fine with the centers and goalies I managed to get, but my defenders and wingers seem a bit lackluster. On hindsight I should've really prioritized wingers more when making my choices.

Noteworthy players that went undrafted:
    W:
    D. Sedin
    E. Kane
    O. Palat
    M. Stone
    M. Hoffman
    M. Zuccarello

T. Hertl
    B. Gallagher
    A. Ladd
    J. Eberle

R. Nash

D:
    N. Leddy
    S. Jones
    M. Rielly

M. Green
    A. Larsson
    C. Fowler
    A. Markov

Do you think any of the players above would be an improvement for the coming season? We have a limit of 20 claims per season as we're quite a casual league.

There's also a few quality centers available such as Eichel and T. Johnson. Would you pick them up in my situation?

Any help would be much appreciated! I'm still very much a novice when it comes to fantasy hockey. Thanks!
    6 man league explains it, but still a ton of options.

Eichel for sure. Ty Jo next. Rielly over Stralman. Then conserve moves. It being this shallow, you don't want to be missing on the better guys available.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    The guys in your league must have been blackout drunk to have left some of those names on the board. You have a team that looks dominant so you must have been one of the least drunk.

It's a 6-team league so you will probably have a pretty nice group of FAs available at all times. With only 20 moves for the season you will need to be conservative early on, I would try to get Stone. I dont think your Ds are lackluster at all, none of the guys on FA look like better options. I think you might find a few wingers you could upgrade, but really only Stone sticks out as someone who can obviously upgrade you right now.
    I wish I could only blame the booze, but majority of the blame goes to us, the players, as we're doing this properly for the first time. Team loyalties and preconceived notions about certain players played a pretty big part too

Thank your for your help, I thought Stone was one of the more exciting guys left as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    6 man league explains it, but still a ton of options.

Eichel for sure. Ty Jo next. Rielly over Stralman. Then conserve moves. It being this shallow, you don't want to be missing on the better guys available.
    Thank you for your help! I'll definitely be looking to pick those guys up.

Hopefully we can recruit a few more guys for the next season. Otherwise I guess we'll just need to increase the size of the rosters.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm going to venture that you guys could expand to a 7th team right now, letting them just pick from FA's, and they would be reasonably competitive

Lots of good talent here, and note that you will have a lot on the wire in such a shallow league.

Eichel & Stone stand out to me. You may need an 8th defenseman to get to max starts per slot, but you can address that later, when Malkin goes on IR..
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I'm going to venture that you guys could expand to a 7th team right now, letting them just pick from FA's, and they would be reasonably competitive

Lots of good talent here, and note that you will have a lot on the wire in such a shallow league.

Eichel & Stone stand out to me. You may need an 8th defenseman to get to max starts per slot, but you can address that later, when Malkin goes on IR..
    Thanks! 7th team would definitely make things more interesting. We'll have to see if we can convince some buddy of ours to join us.

I'll pick up Eichel & probably Stone for now and switch Stralman with Rielly as Eskimo Brother suggested.

Dobber Sports Deity

In a goal heavy, one-year league like this, I dont know how guys like DSedin, Hoffman and Stone went undrafted.

I'd say no one in your league used Fantasy Hockey Geek to set up a pre-draft ranking.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Eichel Stone Tyjo and Hoffman...

Drop Palmieri and Strahlman and whoever else you need to to get two more in.
    Hoffman in a G heavy league should be owned..
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    In a goal heavy, one-year league like this, I dont know how guys like DSedin, Hoffman and Stone went undrafted.

I'd say no one in your league used Fantasy Hockey Geek to set up a pre-draft ranking.
    Thank you for your help. I went ahead and picked up Stone as well.

I doubt anyone prepared very well for the draft let alone use Fantasy Hockey Geek and the results speak for themselves. We're just a couple of friends playing casually and here I am asking you veterans for advice

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    Eichel Stone Tyjo and Hoffman...

Drop Palmieri and Strahlman and whoever else you need to to get two more in.
    Hoffman in a G heavy league should be owned..
    Thanks for the tips! Eichel & Stone are in and Stralman is gone. Thankfully someone picked up TyJo when undrafted players cleared waivers so I don't have to think about who to drop in order to grab him as well

Palmieri for Hoffman is something I definitely will be thinking about.

The Great One

I don't think you can drop any centres based on who you have - and I like Eichel and TyJo but not sure they bump anyone out

i do like Stone, Hoffman and Palat - one of them will come in as soon as IR is activated as Steen is out until November (?), personally I drop Palmieri as a cert and as its goals heavy I probably drop Drouin

D wise I probably go Stralman for Jones and kick back and let the championship roll in
    Experience is the teacher of all things.