Thread: Best Goalie Option?

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Best Goalie Option?

In our league each gm can keep one goalie. Its a 14 team roto-league that counts W, Sv%, GAA and SO. We get a max of 90 goalie starts per year, so getting quality starts from my goalies is more important than simply getting a lot of starts. From my current goalie stable I can choose between Bob, Halak and Markstrom. None of them inspire too much confidence due to situation / injury history. There are a number of goalies available on the trade market atm, such as Lundqvist, Dubnyk, Talbot, Mrazek, Varly, Elliot, and Lehner, any of which can be gotten for a mid / late round pick. Which one is the most worth targeting? Or would it be better to keep one of my current goalies and then try to grab a second goalie with an early pick?
    Thanks

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Best Goalie Option?

When you're looking at quality over quantity, I am 100% going Elliott. Hank is a nice and reliable second choice, but he will be expensive.

Of your three current guys, I would go Halak, being on the better team. His biggest problem is the injuries, same as Elliott.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

Elliott
    Lundqvist(expensive)
    Dubnyk
    Talbot(could be cheap but a sneaky pick up)
    14 team h/h dynasty
    Stats, G A PTS PIM +/- PPP SHP GWG shts TOI hts/blks W sv% gaa SO
    $89 mill salary cap, cap hits
    minors- players under 60 gms, goalies under 30 gms
    3c 3lw 3rw 4d 2util 1goal
    max 23 plyr rstr, 15 minors

CENTERS Kuznetsov, Necas, Petterson, Hughes, D.Strome, Seguin, Hayes, Scheifele
    LEFTWING Gaudreau, Mantha, Forsberg, Keller
    RIGHTWING Kakko , Debrincat, Thomas, Konecny
    D-MEN Girard, Provorov, McCavoy, Dobson, Makar
    GOALIES Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin
    IR
    MINORS Brannstrom, Kostin, Dennisenko, Kaprizov, Tippett, Cozens, Tolvanen, Zegras, Byfield , Vessalainen, K.Miller, Kyrou, Janik, Bokk, Lundell, Heinola, Hoglander, Lundkvist

Dobber Sports Deity

Is this a salary cap league by the way? Your current goalies are sketchy at best but like your other post, I do like some of the trade options you have in front of you. As mentioned earlier, Talbot could be a guy to target and shouldnt cost nearly as much as some of the others you say are available. Dubnyk would be another option as well for me. I like Elliott too but he's just as injury prone as the guys you already own so I wouldnt go chasing him too hard.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Is this a salary cap league by the way? Your current goalies are sketchy at best but like your other post, I do like some of the trade options you have in front of you. As mentioned earlier, Talbot could be a guy to target and shouldnt cost nearly as much as some of the others you say are available. Dubnyk would be another option as well for me. I like Elliott too but he's just as injury prone as the guys you already own so I wouldnt go chasing him too hard.
    Elliott, with the injuries seems to fit the league parameters based on quality starts over quantity. So that's why I recommended him as the target. IF the value to acquire Talbot is lower, then I would target him first.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Elliott, with the injuries seems to fit the league parameters based on quality starts over quantity. So that's why I recommended him as the target. IF the value to acquire Talbot is lower, then I would target him first.
    If he was still in St Louis then sure, but Calgary isn't St Louis and I dont expect him to put up nearly the same numbers we've come to expect from him in Calgary.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

If he was still in St Louis then sure, but Calgary isn't St Louis and I dont expect him to put up nearly the same numbers we've come to expect from him in Calgary.
    Fair enough. The forwards definitely aren't of the same caliber, but the D in Calgary is fairly solid. I can agree that the numbers likely won't be as lofty, but I don't see them falling too far.

Dobber Sports Deity

Time will tell. They "should" be better this year but a lot will depends on the new coach and the systems he puts in.

Dobber Sports Titan

Time will tell. They "should" be better this year but a lot will depends on the new coach and the systems he puts in.
    A lot of teams should be better too. We really never know until the season starts, especially in the West.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks guys. By the way its not a salary league. I initially had my sights set on either lundqvist or dubnyk, hadnt really considered elliot all that much due to movin to a weaker team n injury concerns. To make things more interesting, i just received an offer that would essentially give me talbot for free (was offered talbot for my last couple of draft picks, which i cant use since ill b done drafting due to acquiring extra earlier picks). Now the question is, take talbot for free, or pay a not too expensive price for one of elliot, lundqvist, or dubnyk?

Dobber Sports Deity

A "free" Talbot is an easy answer for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    A lot of teams should be better too. We really never know until the season starts, especially in the West.
    Exactly. That being said, with Elliott going to a new team, who has a new coach, I am less optimistic than some of the other options he's considering.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknTan View Post
    Thanks guys. By the way its not a salary league. I initially had my sights set on either lundqvist or dubnyk, hadnt really considered elliot all that much due to movin to a weaker team n injury concerns. To make things more interesting, i just received an offer that would essentially give me talbot for free (was offered talbot for my last couple of draft picks, which i cant use since ill b done drafting due to acquiring extra earlier picks). Now the question is, take talbot for free, or pay a not too expensive price for one of elliot, lundqvist, or dubnyk?
    100% go with the free Talbot.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Just to keep you guys updated, I was about to go for the Talbot deal when I got offered Dubnyk plus Backes for the same picks. Was too good to turn down so I went for it. Our summer trading period turned into a massive buyer's market for goalies on the turn of a dime once most gms had their goalie picked. Procrastination finally paid off! Thanks for all the advice!

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknTan View Post
    Just to keep you guys updated, I was about to go for the Talbot deal when I got offered Dubnyk plus Backes for the same picks. Was too good to turn down so I went for it. Our summer trading period turned into a massive buyer's market for goalies on the turn of a dime once most gms had their goalie picked. Procrastination finally paid off! Thanks for all the advice!
    Dubnyk and Backes probably beats out Talbot. If you had waited even longer I wonder who it might have turned into

Dobber Sports Newbie

Haha, the never ending debate: pull the trigger or hold out for better? Pretty content with the deal. We still have a week n change left in the summer trading period, so there is always the possibility of other deals.