Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Sports Forecaster Magazine

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default The Sports Forecaster Magazine

Just picked up my copy today. Wasn't expecting it out so soon, but ran across it and grabbed a copy. I like another take to augment Dobber's Guide.

LOVE the back cover - full page for DobberHockey.COM which made me smile. Well done Dobber!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: The Sports Forecaster Magazine

I've never purchased a copy of TSF magazine because I have a cheap subscription to The Hockey News and just wait til they send me their Pool Projections issue (inferior to Dobber's BTW, but another perspective nonetheless).

Anyways, how does Sports Forecaster compare to Dobber's Fantasy Guide?

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Ace

I've never purchased the tsf either. I have hockey news as well, and usually have only used theirs and the forum here for my pool. But I have purchased dobbers for the first time just a few days ago. I got the season guide and prospect package. Very impressed so far. I would highly recommend dobbers
    14 team h/h dynasty
    Stats, G A PTS PIM +/- PPP SHP GWG shts TOI hts/blks W sv% gaa SO
    $89 mill salary cap, cap hits
    minors- players under 60 gms, goalies under 30 gms
    3c 3lw 3rw 4d 2util 1goal
    max 23 plyr rstr, 15 minors

CENTERS Kuznetsov, Necas, Petterson, Hughes, D.Strome, Seguin, Hayes, Scheifele
    LEFTWING Gaudreau, Mantha, Forsberg, Keller
    RIGHTWING Kakko , Debrincat, Thomas, Konecny
    D-MEN Girard, Provorov, McCavoy, Dobson, Makar
    GOALIES Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin
    IR
    MINORS Brannstrom, Kostin, Dennisenko, Kaprizov, Tippett, Cozens, Tolvanen, Zegras, Byfield , Vessalainen, K.Miller, Kyrou, Janik, Bokk, Lundell, Heinola, Hoglander, Lundkvist

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Just picked up my copy today. Wasn't expecting it out so soon, but ran across it and grabbed a copy. I like another take to augment Dobber's Guide.

LOVE the back cover - full page for DobberHockey.COM which made me smile. Well done Dobber!
    when I ordered it on amazon.ca p.kane was on the cover but once I opened up that manilla envelope m.nylander was the cover boy haha .

also noticed the dobber back page ad and said hmmmm, smooth move darryl

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    when I ordered it on amazon.ca p.kane was on the cover but once I opened up that manilla envelope m.nylander was the cover boy haha .

also noticed the dobber back page ad and said hmmmm, smooth move darryl
    Interesting about the cover. I remember hearing that they did regional covers, but the one I picked up has Patrick Kane on it and I'm in Ottawa!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

So, how do the projections and analysis compare to what Dobber has in his Fantasy Guide???

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    So, how do the projections and analysis compare to what Dobber has in his Fantasy Guide???
    tsf is a long term investment , currently sitting in my bathroom magazine rack waiting for my next visit .

not fond of the new team by team layout of players and their quick analysis of each guy .It was always fwds,def then goalies but now theres no seperation as they simply list them alphabetically which is probably cool for some folks

The Great One

I bought the Forecaster last year, and it really didn't stand out for me. I remember liking the Hockey News stuff better.

This year, I split an addition of Left Wing Lock with a friend, and man, there are some really wacko projections in that one...

Dobber is, and always will be, my first choice.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I haven't dug into it yet, so I can't say. I like that they've expanded each teams prospects from 10 to 25.

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    tsf is a long term investment , currently sitting in my bathroom magazine rack waiting for my next visit .

not fond of the new team by team layout of players and their quick analysis of each guy .It was always fwds,def then goalies but now theres no seperation as they simply list them alphabetically which is probably cool for some folks
    I'm not fond of the merging of F/D/G into one alphabetical list either, but I can see why they did that.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I haven't dug into it yet, so I can't say. I like that they've expanded each teams prospects from 10 to 25.
    I like this is well but it would have been better if said 25 prospects stats were listed too / what league they played in .I realize this can be seen on the next page as some prospects are included with that master team list of stats but not all

Dobber Sports Guru

I picked it up yesterday and leafed through it quickly. If I remember correctly, they have a lot more optimism. They have quite a few players hitting 70-plus points. Although there are some surprises with low numbers.

They do pick Subban to lead dmen in scoring, and to win the Norris and the Hart trophy.

Also, the Hockey News guide is also out. Truthfully, I like reading TSF better than the Hockey News. Feels like there's more to read.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    They do pick Subban to lead dmen in scoring, and to win the Norris and the Hart trophy.
    That's awesome! I needed a laugh today. He may do well, but there is no chance he does that well.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Guru

I picked it up yesterday and leafed through it quickly. If I remember correctly, they have a lot more optimism. They have quite a few players hitting 70-plus points. Although there are some surprises with low numbers.
    So I just double checked. TSF has 33 players getting at least 70 points, and 74 players getting 60 points. By comparison, last year, 17 players had 70 points and 44 players had 60.

But there were some lower than normal projections. They don't have Marner playing any games and David Backes getting just 39 points.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Master

I just noted they predict islanders to finish 7th in the metro .When I first glazed over the predictions page I saw 7th and figured they meant 7th'ish in the east which would mean still a playoff team.

Dobber Sports Stud

So I just double checked. TSF has 33 players getting at least 70 points, and 74 players getting 60 points. By comparison, last year, 17 players had 70 points and 44 players had 60.
    Yep, I've noticed that in their previous issues as well and that's why I don't put too much weight into their projections...
    They just inflate their stats it seems.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.