Thread: Think I have a chance?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Think I have a chance?

Randomly joined a free ESPN League that drafted immediately. I will admit that I took some chances but overall I think I have a solid team, what do you guys think? Not position specific, so I can play 9F 5D 2G and a UTIL with 5 bench.

Team:

Forwards: Gaudreau, Kucherov, Barkov, MacKinnon, Galchenyuk, ROR, Radulov, Draisaitl, Laine, Ehlers, S Bennett, Boedker, Matthews

Defense: Karlsson, Klingberg, Parayko, Ekblad, Brodie, Larsson

Goalies: Jones, Allen, Talbot

It's a lot of young guys who could have solid seasons (Laine, Matthews, Ehlers) and I am banking on Gaudreau, Kuch, Karlsson, and Kling to really chip in as much as possible.
    2017-2018 League Champion
    Salary Dynasty League 20 teams
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PPP-SHP-(+/-)-PIM-SOG-GWG-HITS-BLKS / W-L-OL-GA-SV-SO
    PLAYOFFS COINCIDE WITH NHL PLAYOFFS

F- Gourde, E. Lindholm, R. Smith, Gaudreau, Ovechkin, Draisaitl, Crosby, Labanc, Kerfoot, Haula, E. Kane, Aston-Reese, Vatrano
    D- Karlsson, Letang, Niskanen, Schultz, Dumoulin, Polak
    G- Binnington, Dubnyk, Bobrovsky

Minors:
    F: Erne, Saarela, Hannikainen, Hagel, F. Perron, Pollock, Ully, Amadio, Kotkov, Wallmark, Phillips, Pitlick, Haapala
    D: Djoos, Johansen, Cholowski, Zboril, Bowey, Niku, Pedan, Weegar
    G: Huska, Copley

The Great One

Default Re: Think I have a chance?

Points only? Roto? H2H? Very hard to evaluate a team without knowing anything about league scoring...

Dobber Sports Titan

How many teams( in addition to posting the categories)? In a 6 team league, then maybe not. But in a 14+ team league then you look stacked. Inside that range it would depend on categories.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Wow, how did I forget to add the scoring for the league. Must have had a brain fart or something, anyways its H2H Points much like Fantasy Football where each category counts towards a points total. I only just now realized that the categories are G A PPP and SHG which I doubt anyone on my team will get that. But goalie cats are W GA SO which I know Jones and Allen will do pretty solid in and Talbot well he's just a backup

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    How many teams( in addition to posting the categories)? In a 6 team league, then maybe not. But in a 14+ team league then you look stacked. Inside that range it would depend on categories.
    It's a 10 team league, and like I said it's G A PPP SHG only for my skaters and W GA SHO for goalies
    2017-2018 League Champion
    Salary Dynasty League 20 teams
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PPP-SHP-(+/-)-PIM-SOG-GWG-HITS-BLKS / W-L-OL-GA-SV-SO
    PLAYOFFS COINCIDE WITH NHL PLAYOFFS

F- Gourde, E. Lindholm, R. Smith, Gaudreau, Ovechkin, Draisaitl, Crosby, Labanc, Kerfoot, Haula, E. Kane, Aston-Reese, Vatrano
    D- Karlsson, Letang, Niskanen, Schultz, Dumoulin, Polak
    G- Binnington, Dubnyk, Bobrovsky

Minors:
    F: Erne, Saarela, Hannikainen, Hagel, F. Perron, Pollock, Ully, Amadio, Kotkov, Wallmark, Phillips, Pitlick, Haapala
    D: Djoos, Johansen, Cholowski, Zboril, Bowey, Niku, Pedan, Weegar
    G: Huska, Copley

Dobber Sports Titan

You can't draft for SHG. So it's basically a 10 team points league. I feel like you are probably in the top four, but I could see there being a team or two that could squeak past you when some of your guys don't hit their ceilings. All in all though, if I'm you, I am very happy with the draft.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Lot of ifs buts amd maybes for a one year league for me but if the stars align....
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

One-year league?

You're heavily counting on potential/breakouts. My personal experience tells me that this strategy won't work*, but maybe you get more lucky than me.

(*by "won't work" I mean that you're not going to win the title; I don't mean that you'll be bad. You should be okay, but not first-place-good)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

You have a chance. Look at other squads, there are a couple you know are pretty much toast already, time to see what you can do to improve that chance.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Master

Potential rarely wins out over proven production. Trade a couple of those set to break out players for established vets before the season starts before other people catch on that the youngsters are still at the start of the learning curve.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Genius

You're LOADED for potential, I don't see it being a top team this year since a few of the guys are in the development stages still, so if it's a one year league you'll fall short but if it's a keeper then you've set yourself up very very well.

Edit; never mind saw its in the one year topic, keep your fingers crossed! You'll need it
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Star

In a 10 team, one year league I don't think you have a chance in hell.

You just have too many boom/bust young guys, and you would need most of them to boom in order to win. A handful of those guys probably aren't even owned in the majority of 10 team leagues. I think you'll be better than average, but almost no chance of winning without some killer trades.

The Great One

The potential for those trades is there if you hit them at the right time...
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Ninja

You definitely have a chance, but you'll need some luck with many of those young guys at the tail end of your forward group.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    You definitely have a chance, but you'll need some luck with many of those young guys at the tail end of your forward group.
    I think that if some of those young guys have hot starts I'd be moving them for established guys in their prime. They definitely have a chance of bringing a lot in for trade value. I think if you make the right moves you have a great chance of being a playoff team, and at that point, it's often anyone's game (I won a 14 team league based on tie-breakers through the first two playoff rounds and then an absolute blowout in the finals last year).
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso