Thread: ESPN ranks MLB managers

Dobber Sports Expert

Default ESPN ranks MLB managers

Was never a fan of Gibbons but 30th overall?

Some weird selections here:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/manager...ry?id=41209076

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: ESPN ranks MLB managers

Your link redirects to something about whole foods shareholders.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Your link redirects to something about whole foods shareholders.
    Nah that was my old messed up signature. I removed it so u can get the link above.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan321 View Post
    Nah that was my old messed up signature. I removed it so u can get the link above.
    Oh sorry, was I just clicking the wrong link there?

- - - Updated - - -

Was definitely not expecting Gibby to be 30th!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Personally I think he's a terrible manager as well, but considering what the Jays have done the past two seasons, that alone should have him higher on this list compared to some of the others.

They do make a good argument why he deserves to be near the bottom though. That being said, I sure didn't read every write up on every manager and why they had them ranked where they did, just on Gibbons.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

They seem to be just marking on “tactician” ability. Or putting it as a heavy emphasis. We all know that’s not his game, to do a sac bunt, throw the sign to steal, or walk someone. But how often would you throw the sign to steal with that lineup? Or tell a guy who has pop in his bat to sac bunt? And I really don’t like the intentional walk anyways when 4/5 guys can strike almost anyone out, and a 5th guy (Dickey) throws grounders or HRs?

Also this is ESPN, and not TSN ranking it….I always hate to use “it’s cause we’re Canadian” as a crutch when it comes to NBA and MLB, but it’s pretty obvious sometimes the tie goes to the American team.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    They seem to be just marking on “tactician” ability. Or putting it as a heavy emphasis. We all know that’s not his game, to do a sac bunt, throw the sign to steal, or walk someone. But how often would you throw the sign to steal with that lineup? Or tell a guy who has pop in his bat to sac bunt? And I really don’t like the intentional walk anyways when 4/5 guys can strike almost anyone out, and a 5th guy (Dickey) throws grounders or HRs?

Also this is ESPN, and not TSN ranking it….I always hate to use “it’s cause we’re Canadian” as a crutch when it comes to NBA and MLB, but it’s pretty obvious sometimes the tie goes to the American team.
    Agree with the tactician part.....I couldn't have told you who the Brewers bench coach was yet he's 11th after only being a manager since last year...

You can definitely like what we've seen so far. The stolen-base tally is coming at a nifty 76 percent success rate; like any smart manager he doesn't run with the guys who can't. Counsell has been careful with a young rotation, hasn't been hyperactive with his pen, creating stable roles (which helped both Jeremy Jeffress and Will Smith's value at the deadline). He has handled a rotation short of any demonstrably reliable assets to good effect, aiding them with the second-most shifts on D among NL skippers.
    This isn't as dumb as those Score NHL polls.....but it's close

Dobber Sports Titan

I hate the fact they use shifts as a point to grade a manager. Toronto’s interior D doesn’t need a shift as much as others and it’s literally a stats guy who makes up the shifts for each player. So the manager just decides if they use the shifts as much
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll