Thread: Drafting goalies

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Drafting goalies

In a keep 10, 10 team rotisserie keeper league. Goalies have the following cats: W, GAA, SV%, SO. I have Rask and Mrazek as my two goalies, who I'm not super confident in given the D in front of them. We have 3 goalie starting spots, 164 max games for goalies. I have 1st, 3rd and 6th overall in the draft. I had the 2nd worst goaltending stats last year, though the stats were pretty tight. Goalies on other teams are:
    Team A Schneider
    Team A Jones
    Team B Price
    Team B Gibson
    Team C Lundqvist
    Team C Holtby
    Team D Fleury
    Team D Luongo
    Team E Rinne
    Team E Halak
    Team F Allen
    Team F Elliot
    Team G Dubnyk
    Team G Anderson
    Team H Bishop
    Team H Quick
    Team I Crawford

So a very rough top 10 goalies I was thinking about drafting are:
    Murray
    Hellebuyck
    Vasilevsky
    Andersen
    Talbot
    Mason
    Neuvrith
    Greiss
    Reimer

What kind of drafting strategy would you guys use? I also have the team D GM offering me his 5th overall pick and a 4th round for 10th round pick upgrade for first overall, assuming he wants Murray. Would you make this move?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Drafting goalies

Talbot would be my pick if you are trying to compete this year, but if not, then I would try to grab 2 of the three of Vas, Murray and Helle (then maybe try shopping Rask).
    As for who to take with picks, I would have to see who else for forwards is available with your picks.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Need WAY more information.

ROTO leagues have a certain number of total categories (cats), and you get a score based on how high you finish in each.
    I actually practice a "garbage goalie" strategy in many of my leagues where I draft my goalies late... super late.

Skaters are more consistent for cats - and if you load up on the top ones, you will assure yourself a top three finish in each category. Guaranteed points.
    Goalies fluctuate year-to-year, so even if you draft what was the WORST goalies from last year... odds are they won't repeat... good for you, invest in garbage, maybe you get recycleables or something.

Personally, I rarely see the team that drafts goalies expecting a repeat performance to win.
    It's hard to find top tier scorers late in ROTO drafts.
    But elite goalies rise up every year... and may goalies rise simply into the middle of the pack... and you can snipe a Martin Jones or rising back-ups to spot-start good stats (Vas, Helle, Murray, etc) almost every year.

Anyways - it's just a tactic I use.
    I very consistently finish 2nd-5th in all my ROTO leagues using this strategy.
    No 1sts... yet... I play in some competitive leagues... but the skater-talent alone carries well more ROTO weight than goalies.

For your case... I'd need to see all cats, number of teams, and know if there is MAX starts.

There IS a lot that goes into goalie-value... it's the biggest variance from pool-to-pool.

As for one player, Talbot, yes.
    Oilers should be significantly improved defensively with the Hall for Larsson move.
    In general, they'll be a team on the rise and perhaps this is the year they buckle down on D.

The Great One

The trade depends on how deep that draft is and potential players available

re the goalie if you can take it down this season then it's a vote for Talbot
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Novice

The categories are 1.5G, 1.5A, +\-, PPG, PPA, SHP, Hits, BLK, .75W, .75GAA, .75SV%, .75SO. It's keep 10(2C,3W,3D,1G, 1X) full roster (4C, 6W,6D,SKT,2G,5Bench) max 82 games per spot. It's 10 teams. There is a separate prospect draft which already took place. Some notable skaters in the draft are:
    Parise
    Jenner
    Duchene
    McDonagh
    Kessel
    Hornqvist
    Neal
    Stepan
    JVR
    Spezza
    Zuccarrello
    Radulov
    Kesler
    Dumba
    Muzzin
    E. Johnson
    Leddy
    Boychuk
    Tatar
    Nyquist
    Trochek
    Bjugstad
    To name a few. My skaters are:

MacKinnon
    T. Johnson
    Ovechkin
    Hall
    OEL
    Ghost
    Krug

The Great One

I guess the question is more like what can you get in the fourth round?
    Experience is the teacher of all things.