Thread: Put Villar on block. Thoughts on value?

The Wolverine

Default Put Villar on block. Thoughts on value?

Here is my roster and league settings:

Yahoo, One year, Roto, 20 teams
    Daily lineups, Max games/innings = 162/1475, No max moves
    C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, IF, 3OF, 2Util, 4SP, 3RP, 2P, 4BN, 4DL (11 hitters / 9 pitchers)
    R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, W, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP (6 x 6)

C: Realmuto, 1B: Rizzo, 2B: Castro, 3B: Longoria, SS: Semien, IF: Myers, OF: JD Martinez, Tomas, Morales, Util: Villar, Werth
    DL: Pollock, Duda, Brantley
    SP: Syndergaard, Lester, Aa. Sanchez, Taillon, Smyly, J. De La Rosa
    RP: Colomé (SP), A. Miller, Casilla, Romo, Knebel, Rodney, Warren (SP)

Important details:

- The trading deadline in our league is on August 14th.
    - Currently in 1st, 30+ points ahead of second (208, 175, 162...)
    - Have a huge lead in SB (104, 83, 81...)
    - Solid elsewhere, but a bit extra power could help spread things out a bit better, and strengthen other categories.
    - Down in IP, so an extra arm could help as well.
    - Have put Villar on block, suggesting looking for a power bat and/or SP upgrade.

I can add more information if needed, but what I'm curious to hear from an outside perspective is how you would value Villar in this league and given the context provided. I know I'm in a comfortable position but don't want to be complacent. I'm not actively shopping him yet, but will see over the next couple days if any offers come in. One manager who is strong in power and weak in SB (plus not a major contender, but could help me keep contenders at bay), has Kyle Seager. That's all I've come up with so far, but figure I'd throw Villar on the block and see what happens.

I would appreciate your insight!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Put Villar on block. Thoughts on value?

He's a great sell option. Not sure if Jankowski is available in your league, but if he is you could spot start him, and easily hold your lead on SB. In that case, Villar would have almost no value to your team going forward, so selling him to someone needing SB (probably not the 2nd or 3rd team), would be big. K. Seager would be a good target. I might even be looking at Devon Travis for 2B for the rest of the season. Otherwise if I am you, I am grabbing a SP, using up all the rest of my innings getting some solid K and W numbers while not hurting the ERA/Whip too much.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I picked up Villar in my league and have been trying to trade him for a while. I have Boagaerts as my SS future and wanted help elsewhere... the value is not there for him.

Guys in my league do not value players like him that surprise out of no where.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    He's a great sell option. Not sure if Jankowski is available in your league, but if he is you could spot start him, and easily hold your lead on SB. In that case, Villar would have almost no value to your team going forward, so selling him to someone needing SB (probably not the 2nd or 3rd team), would be big. K. Seager would be a good target. I might even be looking at Devon Travis for 2B for the rest of the season. Otherwise if I am you, I am grabbing a SP, using up all the rest of my innings getting some solid K and W numbers while not hurting the ERA/Whip too much.
    Thanks for the reply.

Jankowski is owned. The top SB guys available are Melvin Upton and Billy Burns, both of whom have been horrible for awhile. I disagree about Villar having almost no value to my team going forward, as he's still a great source of runs, average and OPS (has some decent occasional pop for a speed guy). Of course, if I don't need the SB then he's not as valuable to my squad.

The manager with Travis is one of my nearest competitors so not sure I want to help him out.

As for Seager, he's been a bit quiet lately though so I feel like I would need more than him in return. Looking at the last 30 days, here is the comparison with Villar:

Seager - 9R, 2HR, 9RBI, 0SB, .271, .716
    Villar - 18R, 3HR, 10RBI, 14SB, .337, .978

I don't have any bench bats so if I were to deal him, I would need to drop a pitcher (probably Warren) for someone to keep my lineup filled.

As for pitching, although I'm a bit low on innings (around 60 below pace), I'm dominating Ks. Only one manager could catch me if I was unable to make up any ground in innings. I'm solid in the ratios but could drop if not careful.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I picked up Villar in my league and have been trying to trade him for a while. I have Boagaerts as my SS future and wanted help elsewhere... the value is not there for him.

Guys in my league do not value players like him that surprise out of no where.
    Yeah this is the challenge as I'm not sure how people value him in this league. If I get some offers that would help. I won't give him away that's for sure, as I'm dealing from a position of strength. If a solid deal does not appear, I won't hesitate to keep him.

Dobber Sports Titan

Melvin Upton is going to be a full starter with Pillar out, so not a terrible option there.

That's more what I meant. He does still provide good value, but it's probably less so where you need the help, correct?

Fair enough though on the pitchers. Maybe see if you can add another player or two and make a play for a good SP who definitely won't hurt you. Since you have the Ks already, then making up the innings means a lot less.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Melvin Upton is going to be a full starter with Pillar out, so not a terrible option there.

That's more what I meant. He does still provide good value, but it's probably less so where you need the help, correct?

Fair enough though on the pitchers. Maybe see if you can add another player or two and make a play for a good SP who definitely won't hurt you. Since you have the Ks already, then making up the innings means a lot less.
    Ok thanks. We'll see if there is any interest or not to gauge his perceived value. Another thing to consider - would people be hesitating to help out the first place team?

Dobber Sports Immortal

I would attempt to deal him for some SP help but in my league I gave up a longgggg time ago. No one wanted to move anything of value and he really hsan't stopped performing all season. It's not like he was bad in Houston...he was solid coming up a couple years ago and then got hurt and eventually Correa overshadowed him. Smart find by Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Ok thanks. We'll see if there is any interest or not to gauge his perceived value. Another thing to consider - would people be hesitating to help out the first place team?
    Knowing some of the people in leagues I'm in.....most likely. I really don't get that notion though because you should just want to make your team better especially in a roto league......unless of course the 1st place guy wins everything. Then you're f*cked

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I would attempt to deal him for some SP help but in my league I gave up a longgggg time ago. No one wanted to move anything of value and he really hsan't stopped performing all season. It's not like he was bad in Houston...he was solid coming up a couple years ago and then got hurt and eventually Correa overshadowed him. Smart find by Milwaukee.

Knowing some of the people in leagues I'm in.....most likely. I really don't get that notion though because you should just want to make your team better especially in a roto league......unless of course the 1st place guy wins everything. Then you're f*cked
    I hadn't considered dealing him earlier as I wanted to solidify my strength in the SB category, and also he's been so consistent across the board for most of the year. In this deep league, that is very important.

I just threw that theory out there, and I'm not sure how relevant it is anyway. It might just be that they have nothing to offer and I'll get little interest. As was said, perhaps people are still hesitant due to lack of a track record. We'll see.

I haven't received an offer yet, but I'm not rushing to make one. I have JD Martinez back so he should give me a boost in power. It might also be difficult to trade for a SP because it's not easy to reach your max innings unless you have a really strong staff. So, the ideal trade target is someone weak in SBs and strong in SP. At a glance, there aren't many options but you never know.