Thread: Joseph Veleno (2018 NHL Draft Eligible)

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Joseph Veleno (2018 NHL Draft Eligible)

Well, why not get the ball rolling nice and early here...

Granted exceptional status into the QMJHL last season, he scored 13 goals and 43 points in 62 games for the Saint John Sea Dogs as a 15/16 year old.

The crafty centre displays fantastic skating skills, superb vision and plenty of creativity. He is currently playing over in the Ivan Hlinka tournament and is a full year younger than any of his teammates yet is displaying the most consistent scoring threat on the squad thus far. He was named Player of the Game in the opener.

Expect some big numbers from him in 2016-17.

He is looked at as the front-runner to be taken first overall in 2018, and then in subsequent fantasy drafts.

Ready. Set. Discuss.

Elite Prospects' Page

Attached Images Attached Images
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Joseph Veleno (2018 NHL Draft Eligible)

Thanks for sharing this information. Look forward to hearing about him tearing it up in the Q this year.

I do not plan on finishing last in 2017-2018 season so I will have slim chance of drafting him with my pick.

Will have to consider trading for potential first overall picks for him.

Dobber Sports Expert

FWIW, a lot of people felt like he shouldn't have gotten Exceptional Status from the Q. His number in Midget weren't eye gauging or anything.

Next season will be important for him. I saw him I think twice last year , one time live in Boisbriand , once online, and he wasn't really standing. He's got a great skating stride though.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Stud

It's true, he was initially denied exceptional status and then rumours were about that he'd skip the CHL altogether if they didn't accept him.

I think his playing in the Q last year was beneficial for him. He finished the season with 10 points in his last 12 games and has looked very strong at the Hlinka.

This will be a big season for him to bulk up that frame and produce the eye-popping numbers expected of him. He does offer very good two-way play and positioning as well which has helped him transition against older competition.
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Thanks for sharing.

It just feels weird looking at a prospect who was born in the year 2000... Just weird.

Dobber Sports Deity

I watched him vs the Mooseheads last year. The kid is legit even though he didn't get a ton of prime time and PP time. Smooth skater.

You can tell he's still young as he's slender on the ice, although that will come with time. Even at 16, he still has room to actually get taller from his current 6'1" frame.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

He should receive a ton of prime minutes next season.

It'll be interesting to see if he'll be the product of nitpicking by the time the 2018 draft rolls around which is often the case for guys who get hyped so early on

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks for sharing. It's never too early to start tracking future high round picks. I agree though, it's weird we are talking about a kid born in the 21st century.....
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Joe Davola View Post
    He should receive a ton of prime minutes next season.

It'll be interesting to see if he'll be the product of nitpicking by the time the 2018 draft rolls around which is often the case for guys who get hyped so early on
    Oh he most certainly will be. I'm going to reserve judgement for another year or two, because there is so much room to grow, both physically and as a player, that there's no real reason for us as fantasy owners to be scouting him this early. I'll keep an eye on him, but probably no more than that.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I've seen him live in about 6 games. Really small sample size. Wasn't impressed at all. That right there should be enough to prove I shouldn't be a scout I guess!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by iwinthings View Post
    I've seen him live in about 6 games. Really small sample size. Wasn't impressed at all. That right there should be enough to prove I shouldn't be a scout I guess!
    I'm not overly surprised to hear that. Especially if the games you saw were early on in the season. As a 15 year old playing against players up to five-plus years his senior, there were growing pains.

His best games came in the second half of the season and even then, consistency was an issue. Like I said, next season will be a big one for him. He'll look to dominate similar to what Nolan Patrick did in the WHL this season as a draft-1.

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Thanks for sharing.

It just feels weird looking at a prospect who was born in the year 2000... Just weird.
    Yuuuuuuuup, we have reached that point... Crazy to think that the year 2000 is more than 16 years ago...
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Stud

Little update: Veleno has 7 points in 9 QMJHL games thus far as a 16 year old after missing some time with an injury.

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Monster

Looking forward to 2018. This guy and Rasmus Dahlen look like real studs in the making.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Looking forward to 2018. This guy and Rasmus Dahlen look like real studs in the making.
    Dahlen is drool-worthy. I'm really looking forward to seeing him develop.

Keep on, keepin' on.