Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mason, Hellebuyck or Markstrom

The Great One

Default Re: Mason, Hellebuyck or Markstrom

That's not always as easy as it sounds
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Ace

Hellebyuck
    Markstrom

Mason
    14 team h/h dynasty
    Stats, G A PTS PIM +/- PPP SHP GWG shts TOI hts/blks W sv% gaa SO
    $89 mill salary cap, cap hits
    minors- players under 60 gms, goalies under 30 gms
    3c 3lw 3rw 4d 2util 1goal
    max 23 plyr rstr, 15 minors

CENTERS Kuznetsov, Necas, Petterson, Hughes, D.Strome, Seguin, Hayes, Scheifele
    LEFTWING Gaudreau, Mantha, Forsberg, Keller
    RIGHTWING Kakko , Debrincat, Thomas, Konecny
    D-MEN Girard, Provorov, McCavoy, Dobson, Makar
    GOALIES Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin
    IR
    MINORS Brannstrom, Kostin, Dennisenko, Kaprizov, Tippett, Cozens, Tolvanen, Zegras, Byfield , Vessalainen, K.Miller, Kyrou, Janik, Bokk, Lundell, Heinola, Hoglander, Lundkvist

Dobber Sports Apprentice

You go with Hellebuyck even if he'll pass the year in the AHL. If you need a G because of an injury on one of your 2 G, you trade for one. You could even use Hell as a trade-bait if you're contending this year because his value will be through the roof as a future no.1 G on an up-and-coming WPG team!

The Great One

If he is sat on the waiver wire it would suggest that there would be no trade market for him...?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    If he is sat on the waiver wire it would suggest that there would be no trade market for him...?

Maybe not this year, but you would think that teams that are not in contention in 16-17 and looking to contend in 17-18 will be looking for starters at the trade deadline...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Connor Hellebuyck.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Maybe not this year, but you would think that teams that are not in contention in 16-17 and looking to contend in 17-18 will be looking for starters at the trade deadline...
    But with the expectation that he stays in the A this year he could be available whenever you open a spot so why hinder winning this season?

i think Helly is a nice pick in a dynasty but I'm confused why he is available on the wire

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    I cannot believe the number of responses looking for more league details, etc.

Dynasty league. Hellebuyck.

(even if you want to win this year, you sit on him and find another way to upgrade you immediate G)
    Couldn't disagree with this any more than I do. If you are in it to win it, and have a limited size roster, I would not use up a space for a player that will help you next year. Of course, I'm also the kinda guy that traded McDavid in two full keeper pools last year. Win now = going all in, to me. Not straddling the fence...

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tobias View Post
    I cannot believe the number of responses looking for more league details, etc.

Dynasty league. Hellebuyck.

(even if you want to win this year, you sit on him and find another way to upgrade you immediate G)
    I really don't know why you said this. Admittedly, my answer changed slightly when he said he was only allowed to roster 3 goalies, when he seemed to have an option to grab both Markstrom & Hellebuyck. The 3 goalie restriction wasn't clear at first. Rule #1 of fantasy is know the rules - when people don't give enough info it is a need to get the information we need to give advice.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Couldn't disagree with this any more than I do. If you are in it to win it, and have a limited size roster, I would not use up a space for a player that will help you next year. Of course, I'm also the kinda guy that traded McDavid in two full keeper pools last year. Win now = going all in, to me. Not straddling the fence...
    It's a matter of perspective, I guess. I straddle the fence sometimes, and actually am with Hellebuyck, despite intentions of winning my league again this year.

My thinking on this was there there really were no other options to consider. Mason isn't even the best goalie in Philadelphia, and his GAA and SV% would probably hurt you, more often than not, in a H2H matchup. With Markstrom; yes, he should be the starter next year. If he does develop and take over this year/next year, then you've got yourself the starting goalie on one of the worst teams in the league, and likely the team with the worst-looking future in the league.

Give me Helley over those two guys.

Or, as you say, assuming there are other options, go for the win and don't sit on Helley.