Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hellebuyck Predictions

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Hellebuyck Predictions

17 games, I am figuring one of the top two gets hurt, and he gets enough chances to play as the starter ahead of the other one.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bergman View Post
    How many starts in WPG will he get this upcoming season?
    Seventeen

Dobber Sports Icon

I think Hellebuyck starts the year as the back up but is the #1 by December. He starts 51 games for the Winnipeg Jets during this season.

Hutchinson can easily be exposed to waivers during training camp with little chance of being claimed. If Jacob Markstrom went through waivers two seasons ago, then there should be no problem with Hutchinson going through. There are going to be lots of back up goalies on waivers during training camps. Here is a list of #3 goalies that would have to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL. Where do you think Hutchinson fits on this list?

Dustin Tokarski
    Justin Peters
    Jeremy Smith
    Jared Coreau
    Reto Berra
    Jack Campbell and Peter Budaj
    Alex Stalock
    Mike Condon
    Scott Wedgewood or Keith Kinkaid
    Magnus Hellberg
    JF Berube
    Aaron Dell or Troy Grosenick
    Richard Bachman
    Joe Cannata
    Michael Hutchinson

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I think Hellebuyck starts the year as the back up but is the #1 by December. He starts 51 games for the Winnipeg Jets during this season.

Hutchinson can easily be exposed to waivers during training camp with little chance of being claimed. If Jacob Markstrom went through waivers two seasons ago, then there should be no problem with Hutchinson going through. There are going to be lots of back up goalies on waivers during training camps. Here is a list of #3 goalies that would have to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL. Where do you think Hutchinson fits on this list?

Dustin Tokarski
    Justin Peters
    Jeremy Smith
    Jared Coreau
    Reto Berra
    Jack Campbell and Peter Budaj
    Alex Stalock
    Mike Condon
    Scott Wedgewood or Keith Kinkaid
    Magnus Hellberg
    JF Berube
    Aaron Dell or Troy Grosenick
    Richard Bachman
    Joe Cannata
    Michael Hutchinson
    If Hutchinson was claimed, then the Jets would have to scramble to find another goalie that is under contract. Otherwise, they'd have to expose Hellebuyck in the expansion draft. Pavelec will be UFA at the end of the year, so Hutchinson is what they have to expose. I think the expansion draft is why Hutch got that two year deal, and why he'll be on the roster this year.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Ya i think Helley will only get a start if someone goes on IR then they would have room to bring him up. but until then we sit and wait
    12 team with 15 keepers weekly H2H categories (G,A,P.P.P,S.O.G,F.W,Hits,Blks,Pims, G.A.A,SV%,Wins and S.O)
    C/W Schenn Lindholm Keller Namestnikov PLD schmaltz
    C Giroux Stamkos Schiefele Kadri Brassard
    W Gaudreau Okposo Mantha Gallagher Rantanen beauviller
    D Byfuglien Josi Keith Jones Gudas Ellis
    G Schnieder ​Hellebuyck
    I.R Shaw
    Prospects (25 games or less)
    Gilles

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by bergman View Post
    How many starts in WPG will he get this upcoming season?
    That's completely impossible to tell because it depends on the health of their first two goalies.

If neither of them misses games, 0 starts.
    If one of them misses roughly 10 games, 7 starts.
    If one of them misses 82 games, roughly 50 starts.

But how are we supposed to predict health?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    If Hutchinson was claimed, then the Jets would have to scramble to find another goalie that is under contract. Otherwise, they'd have to expose Hellebuyck in the expansion draft. Pavelec will be UFA at the end of the year, so Hutchinson is what they have to expose. I think the expansion draft is why Hutch got that two year deal, and why he'll be on the roster this year.
    Exactly. Same reason why Zatkoff got 2 years in LA.

No way they're waiving Hutch, no matter how small the chance of being claimed is (and someone like Toronto, Nashville or San Jose would definitely do it).

The Great One

I wonder if Hutch has a bounce back - he posted some nice numbers a couple of seasons ago - or if last year's version is what he really is
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    I wonder if Hutch has a bounce back - he posted some nice numbers a couple of seasons ago - or if last year's version is what he really is
    He posted some nice numbers as a rookie, and then I think NHL teams got the book on him and focused on his holes. He can probably pick it back up a touch, but I don't see him getting past the level of "decent backup" anymore.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Agree but I wonder if the situation he is in in the 'Peg actually means he carries more value than your stereotypical back up

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Irriducibile11 View Post
    Exactly. Same reason why Zatkoff got 2 years in LA.

No way they're waiving Hutch, no matter how small the chance of being claimed is (and someone like Toronto, Nashville or San Jose would definitely do it).
    If San Jose claimed him on waivers, they would have to waive both Aaron Dell and Troy Grosenick who are likely just as good as Hutchinson. If Toronto or Nashville claimed him, then the Jets could easily claim one of the other goalies that will be on waivers this season or sign one of the UFAs that are still available (Ramo, Enroth,Lindback, Poulin, Emery, Ortio, McCollum, Desjardins, Leighton, etc). I am predicting a lot of teams place their 3rd string goalie on waivers as soon as training camps start exactly for this reason.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    If San Jose claimed him on waivers, they would have to waive both Aaron Dell and Troy Grosenick who are likely just as good as Hutchinson. If Toronto or Nashville claimed him, then the Jets could easily claim one of the other goalies that will be on waivers this season or sign one of the UFAs that are still available (Ramo, Enroth,Lindback, Poulin, Emery, Ortio, McCollum, Desjardins, Leighton, etc). I am predicting a lot of teams place their 3rd string goalie on waivers as soon as training camps start exactly for this reason.
    Unless you think Winnipeg carries 3 goalies all year, I just don't see Hellebuyck getting much time. Pavelec isn't getting bought out and I don't see anyone trading for that contract. And then need another goalie on the team that qualifies for the expansion draft.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Unless you think Winnipeg carries 3 goalies all year, I just don't see Hellebuyck getting much time. Pavelec isn't getting bought out and I don't see anyone trading for that contract. And then need another goalie on the team that qualifies for the expansion draft.
    which is what happened with the Isles and Berube...

Dobber Sports Stud

Here's Chico's take...

I think that the brass realize what they don't have in Hutch and Pavs.

I also think that, barring getting pummeled by injury like last year, they compete for the playoffs. The two aforementioned goalies won't help that goal.

Hutch's salary isn't absurd, and they can send him down to spend time with Comrie.

Eventually this year, it works out to be Hellebuyck/Pavelec. They try to trade Pavs, and they take pretty much nothing to get rid of him. I'm sure they'd eat some salary as well. If no one does, he becomes unprotected for Vegas, and I don't even think theyd want him.

If they're doing anything this year, Hellebuyck is the guy.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Management knows the team has to push harder this season than last year. Expecting Pavs and Hutch to be a tandem that makes that push is just silly. Rolling those two in net will also mean burning another year off of Little, Wheeler, and Byfuglien with little to show for it.

Hellebuyck will play around 30 games this season. The only way he plays less is if he's injured or the end of January arrives and the Jets are not likely to make the playoffs.
    WINNER! WINNER! CHICKEN DINNER! (2006, 2011, 2015)
    Yahoo! Limited Keeper (Keep 1C, 1LW, 1RW, 1D, 1G annually; no player is permitted to be protected as a keeper for a period longer than three consecutive years) 10-team H2H League/Daily Starts (# in brackets)
    Centre (2): Scheifele, Seguin, Toews
    Right Wing (2): Laine (LW/RW) Lindholm (C/RW), Gallagher
    Left Wing (2): Tkachuk, Mantha (LW/RW), Lee, Gusev
    Defense (4): Ristolainen, Doughty, Gustafsson, Gostisbehere, Byfuglien
    Utility (1): Haula (C/LW)
    Goalie (2): Andersen, Dubnyk, Raanta
    IR:
    Skater Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PPP, PIMS, SOG, FOW, Hits, BKS
    Goalie Stats: W, SV%, GAA, SO