Thread: Who to keep?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Who to keep?

Good Morning guys, I'm in a long term keeper league with pretty much straight up points. During the season we play with a 20 man roster which must include 12 forwards, 6 defence & 2 goalies. Before our draft in the fall I need to protect 12 guys + 1 rookie(less than 10 NHL Games), with no other limitations. Attached is my list of who I'm thinking of keeping and who I will release or try to trade for draft picks.

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Rep will be given.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    LouisT
    Keeper League -- Long Term Keeper -- AAV -- Heat to Head
    Forwards - G=1, A=1, +/-=.5, SHG=1
    Defence - G=1.5, A=1, +/-=1, Blocks=0.1
    Goalies - W=2,L=-1,SO=2,SV=.10,GA=-.75, A=2, OTL=-.5, G=20

Roster
    F: Barzal, Crosby, Dzingel, Galchenyuk, Heinen, Kadri, Marchessault, Matthews, Perron, Simmonds, Sobotka, Zuccarello, Bennett, Drouin, Hartman, Puljujarvi
    D: Forbort, Gostisbehere, McNabb, Oleksiak, Ristolainen, Shattenkirk, Coburn, Del Zotto, Fowler, Hanifin
    G: Price, Hellebuyck, Glass, Bernier
    R: Strome

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Who to keep?

Looks like you have the right list of keepers, unless you can make the money work to keep Kane.
    S. Jones is one that sticks out to me as being pretty valuable for now because of the rookie contract.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

So if I am reading this right(and full disclosure I have spent a fair bit of time outside having wobbly pops since it's a beautiful day out and on a side note could care less about ESPN player eligibility) but your keepers appear to be:

Price, Crosby, Subban, Schneider, Simmonds, Oshie, Galchenyuk, Voracek, Johnson, Huberdeau, Strome. So 11 plus 1 rookie. Correct. So based on the OP does that entitle you to one more keeper? And is there a salary cap component that I am missing?

If not then I would think Beau Bennett need not be a keeper and Ghost/Jones + Kane would round out my 12. As a WPG fan I might consider Connor over Strome.

If Ghost/Jones and Kane are the players you feel you might be trading for picks, or potentially better keepers if that is an option I think I'd like to keep more than 1D considering the need to dress 6 but it will depend on who a trade might bring back if it's someone better. Might be tough to upgrade from Kane as teams would offer a package and individually no 1 player might provide a better return in points making the trade superfluous.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AngelicAssassin0 View Post
    So if I am reading this right(and full disclosure I have spent a fair bit of time outside having wobbly pops since it's a beautiful day out and on a side note could care less about ESPN player eligibility) but your keepers appear to be:

Price, Crosby, Subban, Schneider, Simmonds, Oshie, Galchenyuk, Voracek, Johnson, Huberdeau, Strome. So 11 plus 1 rookie. Correct. So based on the OP does that entitle you to one more keeper? And is there a salary cap component that I am missing?

If not then I would think Beau Bennett need not be a keeper and Ghost/Jones + Kane would round out my 12. As a WPG fan I might consider Connor over Strome.

If Ghost/Jones and Kane are the players you feel you might be trading for picks, or potentially better keepers if that is an option I think I'd like to keep more than 1D considering the need to dress 6 but it will depend on who a trade might bring back if it's someone better. Might be tough to upgrade from Kane as teams would offer a package and individually no 1 player might provide a better return in points making the trade superfluous.
    I agree here... need to keep one of Ghost or Jones because of low salary and defense and that they are better then Bennett.

Also, it will be hard to drop Kane, so what if you drop (or trade) Subban and keep Kane instead. Ghost had similar amount of points in your league in comparison to Subban (76 -71 points) This eliminates Subbans 9 million, then I would add Kanes 10.5 million and for the extra 1.5 million in contract you add an addition 40 points (Kane,s 118 points to Subbans 76)