Thread: First Time Keeper, Need Advice (Keep 2)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default First Time Keeper, Need Advice (Keep 2)

So, during this offseason I've been thinking more about my keeper strategy heading into next season, and I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is. My keeper rules are little strange, the price of keeping a player is drafting them one round higher than where they were drafted last season.

Given that rule, to my understanding, it's better to keep your valuable / prospect picks than it is to keep your superstar players.

The draft rounds for my current roster went as follows:

(1) Tavares
    (2) Subban
    (3) Byfuglien
    (4) Weber
    (5) Yandle
    (6) Dubnyk
    (10) Carter
    (12) Toffoli
    (16) Brassard

The rest of my team was acquired through FA. The rule regarding this, is that FA players that are to be kept must be drafted 1 round ahead of their original draft position (same as the original keeper rule):

(2) Voracek
    (4) Johansen
    (8) Varlamov
    (13) Allen

and undrafted players would be drafted in the final round of the draft

(UN) Barkov
    (UN) Panarin
    (UN) Schenn
    (UN) Gibson

So, given the draft status of these players, Tavares is completely unkeepable. Keeping Subban, Weber, Byfuglien have a very high cost.

However, I have tons of value to be had in the later/undrafted rounds

I could see the value of keeping any of Barkov, Panarin, Schenn for the equivalent of a 16th round pick in the next draft. Players like Toffolli (would cost me an 11th round pick) also seem to have incredible value.

Of course trades aren't out of the question, but I'm trying to work with what i've got first

PLEASE NOTE: this is a championship team, so I will likely end up having the 10th overall pick in this next draft.

This is still very early, but since it's the off season I figured there might be some people willing to help.

Thanks!

H2H Points - 10 Team
    G:3/A:2/PIM:0.5/PPP:1/SHP:1/SOG:0.4 +/-: 1
    W:4/GA:-1/SV:0.2/SHO:2

C: Stamkos, Aho, Larkin
    LW: Connor, Huberdeau, Benn (C), Marchessault (C)
    RW: Keller(LW), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Yandle, Werenski, Hamilton, Muzzin
    G: Vasilevskiy, Dubnyk, Varlamov

Default Re: First Time Keeper, Need Advice (Keep 2)

Quote Originally Posted by JMoney View Post
    So, during this offseason I've been thinking more about my keeper strategy heading into next season, and I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is. My keeper rules are little strange, the price of keeping a player is drafting them one round higher than where they were drafted last season.

Given that rule, to my understanding, it's better to keep your valuable / prospect picks than it is to keep your superstar players.

The draft rounds for my current roster went as follows:

(1) Tavares
    (2) Subban
    (3) Byfuglien
    (4) Weber
    (5) Yandle
    (6) Dubnyk
    (10) Carter
    (12) Toffoli
    (16) Brassard

The rest of my team was acquired through FA. The rule regarding this, is that FA players that are to be kept must be drafted 1 round ahead of their original draft position (same as the original keeper rule):

(2) Voracek
    (4) Johansen
    (8) Varlamov
    (13) Allen

and undrafted players would be drafted in the final round of the draft

(UN) Barkov
    (UN) Panarin
    (UN) Schenn
    (UN) Gibson

So, given the draft status of these players, Tavares is completely unkeepable. Keeping Subban, Weber, Byfuglien have a very high cost.

However, I have tons of value to be had in the later/undrafted rounds

I could see the value of keeping any of Barkov, Panarin, Schenn for the equivalent of a 16th round pick in the next draft. Players like Toffolli (would cost me an 11th round pick) also seem to have incredible value.

Of course trades aren't out of the question, but I'm trying to work with what i've got first

PLEASE NOTE: this is a championship team, so I will likely end up having the 10th overall pick in this next draft.

This is still very early, but since it's the off season I figured there might be some people willing to help.

Thanks!
    I think I understand and if you can have as you say one of Barkov, Panarin , Schenn as your 16th round pick I would go that route and keep Barkov.

For your other keeper Toffoli as an 11th round pick would not be horrible. Realistically the only other considerations for me might be Allan as your 12th round pick, depending on how early or quickly G's get snapped up and which ones might be a keeper for another GM. Beyond that the only other player I personally might consider is Johansen as a 3rd rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelicAssassin0 View Post
    I think I understand and if you can have as you say one of Barkov, Panarin , Schenn as your 16th round pick I would go that route and keep Barkov.

For your other keeper Toffoli as an 11th round pick would not be horrible. Realistically the only other considerations for me might be Allan as your 12th round pick, depending on how early or quickly G's get snapped up and which ones might be a keeper for another GM. Beyond that the only other player I personally might consider is Johansen as a 3rd rounder.
    I'll have to ask the commissioner about this particular case, I don't really think they thought out the FA process. Potentially I could have, for example Barkov 16th and Panarin 15th

H2H Points - 10 Team
    G:3/A:2/PIM:0.5/PPP:1/SHP:1/SOG:0.4 +/-: 1
    W:4/GA:-1/SV:0.2/SHO:2

C: Stamkos, Aho, Larkin
    LW: Connor, Huberdeau, Benn (C), Marchessault (C)
    RW: Keller(LW), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Yandle, Werenski, Hamilton, Muzzin
    G: Vasilevskiy, Dubnyk, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by AngelicAssassin0 View Post

I pretty much agree with everything here except I think I'd pick Panarin over barkov.
    Yahoo:16 team h2h (18 man rosters) 4keepers per team
    player cats:
    G,A,+/-ppp,shp,sog,gwg,hits,blks :goalie cats:W,gaa,sv%,so
    3c-Zibanejad, Getzlaf, Trochek
    6w-Fiala, JT Miller,Pastrnak, Pearson, kapanen, Lindblom
    4d-Hamilton,Provorov, R.Andersson, Doughty
    2g-Markstrom, Blackwood
    bench-Schultz, McCann, Lowry
    IR:Kucherov, Beauvilier

Fantrax:Nordiques 9 team dynasty pts only (max roster:50)
    notables:Stamkos, Seguin, Kuznetsov, E.Lindholm, Debrincat, Wheeler, Marchand, PLD, Kessel, Meier, Tuch, Hedman, Suter, Chabot, Bobrovsky ,Hellebuyck, Binnington
    notable prospects:Turcotte, Zegras, N.Suzuki, Farabee, Denisenko, Krebs, N.Robertson, Jokiharju, Shestyorkin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

2 of Barkov, Panarin, Gibson

Dobber Sports Expert

You're only in 10-team league with only two keepers per team. First thing I would do is cut bait with all your goaltenders, as you will be able to get value in the draft there. Based off of you round values, I would keep Barkov and Panarin with some argument for Toffoli as well but he sits lower in my mind. Gibson and Allen are your best goalies but with the limited keeper as is, are not valuable enough picks to entertain here as keepers.

JT is not really a guy you want to cut but worst case, your going to end up with a player of equal value. With most GMs likely looking to keep value picks in the later round, I would expect that a 1st keeper in your league is pretty well a wasteful pick (some exceptions).

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by JMoney View Post
    I'll have to ask the commissioner about this particular case, I don't really think they thought out the FA process. Potentially I could have, for example Barkov 16th and Panarin 15th
    That is 100% where you should be going. With a keep 2, the value at rounds 15 and 16 is much lower than Barkov/Panarin. No one else you have has the same kind of pick value.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)