Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Drunk Driving Rant and problem solving

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Drunk Driving Rant and problem solving

It’s the age gap I think. it’s slowly weeding out from impaired driving. Eventually you’ll see a big rise I think in elderly drinking and driving, because you’ll get 50-60yr olds doing it (but not crashing), turning into their 70-80s and reaction time slowing down. They’ll get in a little fender bender and bam, DUI.

I hear more people my age (20s) driving high. Drunk driving just isn’t around me as much as what it was hammered into me in gr6. The issue now with my generation is the morning after. I can honestly say driving home 2yrs ago from a college party (like an hr drive too), I was not in the right mindset to drive. Either still impaired (I don’t think so, but I’d be interested to see on a breathalyzer), too hungover, or too tired (late night, 10am morning).

If I was given a small Breathalyzer for my car that was accurate, I’d use it out of curiosity. Maybe the thing is car dealers should be giving a good quality one with cars sold. It’s not attached to the ignition so if you fail the car can still start, but more of an education tool. It could have a bit of memory where it can pull up the last 5 results with date/time so parents/police can look at them.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hooker View Post
    Another factor that I find is that 99% of people use the term "Drunk Driver" instead of "Impaired Driver". Many who would be marginal or blow over by a little don't consider themselves drunk. Add that to what Rylant said and too many people drive in that grey/borderline area where they simply should just plan better.
    Unfortunately MAID doesn't have the same impact as MADD.
    Yes, I agree with this... and that seems to be people picking how they want to define 'drunk' versus 'impaired'.

Speaking of MADD - do you think there would be any benefit to re-brand MADD. The reason I ask, is that MADD, is for mothers, or women (although I am pretty sure men can be part of the organization). Most men are not going to want to join an organization that 'feminizes' them. Men are more likely to drive impaired then women (I can't remember where I saw that statistic), is this also a result of MADD being 'Mothers', female branded.

Nothing negative against MADD, just wondering if there is an opportunity to create another organization for men, or to somehow rebrand MADD so that men are more willing to join, participate, etc.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Eventually you’ll see a big rise I think in elderly drinking and driving, because you’ll get 50-60yr olds doing it (but not crashing), turning into their 70-80s and reaction time slowing down. They’ll get in a little fender bender and bam, DUI.
    They already do. Keep your head on a swivel if your every driving by Flamborough Downs on highway 5...that spot can be a death zone with the old bitties pounding crantinis playing the nickel slots. I know they've nailed a lot of elder people there.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    I have little respect for MADD when they have presidents being charged with the very crime they're out to advocate against.
    I still respect MADD. This is similar to the priest that is charged with child abuse and puts a sour taste in everyone mouth for the whole religion. There is probably a lot of devout followers of the religion that would never abuse a child, but one person ruins it for the rest.

There are a lot of members of MADD that are hard-working for the cause and never drink and drive, but the one that is in the public eye makes an extremely stupid decision and ruins it for the rest of the organization.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Unfortunately, drinking is a huge part of the culture and driving is also a huge part of the culture in all but a few urban areas.

Laws do not govern behavior. We have laws against murder yet you still have murder, we have laws against theft yet we still have theft, etc.

About 15 years ago I drew my own line in the sand : I stopped consuming liquor in public (actually I stopped consuming it altogether for a good part of that time). This after waking up a few times with no memory of how I got home.

It's not a matter of being stupid. It is stupid of course, but that's oversimplifying the issue. The real issue is that most people aren't self-aware enough to realize that they have a problem that they themselves are going to have to come to grips with.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Giant

I'm seeing more and more people playing Pokemon Go WHILE they are driving; especially in residential areas!! This is worst than texting because you are fully immersed in the game and unlinke a text, you ''have to answer'' now!

Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay